Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

Well there's been a lot of ground covered in this thread however just a few more items.

Those of us who are 'lucky enough' to have exchange activate I believe we may be stuck with this till 2010 when it will then be equivalent to two bean tins and a bit of string. This gem came from a techie at scotnet.

As to the others well until the cable to the mainland comes I wouldn't hold your breath about super fast broadband. The first incarnations may be ok for some in for instance lerwick I don't think they will be able to push the microwave technology to much further. In fact the real solution long term has to be a full fibre network - this regretably costs more than one or two nites beer money.

Bulldog as we sit hear moaning are offering customers 16mb broadband in london and I know that BT have been doing trials with at least this speed for some time. 100mb broadband is being trialled in the UK now but the Japenese were doing that last year.

While we moan spare a thought for the unlucky people living over the dreaded 8k cut off point who can't get broadband at all. What is being done for them - diddly squat.

Rant over.

PS If you live in the central mainland remember about Shetland Broadbands wireless system. They can offer you up to 4meg last time I heard but its more exensive than adsl but then you also get 4 meg upload as well !

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appear to be on the 10 day run now where the kit at the exchange automatically adjusts your speed to see what your line is capable of. Appear to be settling at around the 3meg mark. Not as fast as I was hoping but still a lot better than the 1meg connection I had before.

I read a lot about that, including a lot of people commenting on number of drop outs and during the 10 days the net almost being unusable.

Thankfully I have encountered none of this. I must be the lucky one. Router has been synced on 8128/488kps the whole time, and no errors at all!

Its amazing to think that this time last year I was still chugging along at 4kB/s dialup!

• 3 weeks later...

Here in glasgow my flat has 1MB, that is great. Sometimes it actually seems faster some days.

We're on NTL:

£30 for Cable TV, Telephone and 1MB broadband. This is going up to 2MB for free soon. But i hear for not much more money we can get 10MB.

Once business gets rolling rather than strolling we will up to that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...