Compulsory National DNA Database - Whats the opinion?

Would you support a call for a Compulsory DNA database  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a call for a Compulsory DNA database

• Yes
    • No

Link those databases with this new proposed ID card system and then start data mining! Hmm ... ?!?!

It doesn't take much thought to see that this is a very dangerous avenue the Government and its associated bodies are taking! No database / computer system is foolproof nor is it immune to "human error".

Imagine trying to get wrong data corrected on this massive behemoth of an overseer system! You will be guilty until proven innocent without a shadow of a doubt.

To all those thinking - "Well if you've done nothing wrong then why not?" .. read up on the Governments absolute bungling of simple systems such as the DVLA central database to see why this should be freaking you out!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think the politicians are more resistant (to the database) than the public."

- Tony Blair

Yes, we all know how in touch with the public Tony is!

In the Current climate of privitization, I would like to know who will control this database or have access to it? Will getting, processing and storing be cost effective in relation to the number of crimes the extra data it will solve?

Also there will always be errors.

Anyone seen Brazil?

i didn't know about this backdoor dna database till now. 8O it's a very bad idea. i fear the potential benefits will be trumpeted out of all proportion to garner support for this, expect a high profile child murder case or similar being cracked supposedly using this technology if the debate ever gets off the ground... with the increasing privatisation of the nhs (also through the backdoor) there's a danger this information isn't so much going to end up in the wrong hands as starting off there. imagine 10-20 years down the line when the nhs is nothing more than a memory, would this information be used to market certain drugs to potential patients on the basis of 'prevention is better than cure?' drug companies are notoriously ruthless in imposing their products on the market, and a private nhs would have their first duty to the shareholders, ie. make money, and would likely find itself acting as little more than a marketing division of the likes of roche or glaxo... :x

There we go again on the forum. The old chestnut about the polis. The big bad... Sheesh. Change the record. I'm no great fan but i can be objective and base my comments in fact not "they dinna let you smoke cannabis in public" and "one of them gave me a ticket cos I didnt have my seatbeltr on and was driving along Commercial Stret while usingmy mobile phone! I pay his/her wages, why arent they catching real criminals?!!!"

PS about the wages thing, if that IS true, does that no make them slef employed cos with the salaries I hear they are getting these days, theyll pay more tax than most!!!

:wink:

Also on the subject of polis, you all give them far more credit for brains and leeway theyre given by law then may be the true caes. These days most of what they do is exmained by politicians making aname (and a few bob) for themselves or media folk showing how much more clever and educated they are then the rest of us proles.

:wink: Seems to me that those who say the real threat comes from the omnipotent private multinationals (who spwaned Bush and Blair in a huge vat of DNA extraxcted from Hitelrs bunker mixed with Maggie T's eggs, I heard! I read it on a website with a voiceover by a man with an american accent so it MUST be true!).

:roll:

:wink: Seems to me that those who say the real threat comes from the omnipotent private multinationals (who spwaned Bush and Blair in a huge vat of DNA extraxcted from Hitelrs bunker mixed with Maggie T's eggs, I heard! I read it on a website with a voiceover by a man with an american accent so it MUST be true!).

:roll:

or alternatively you could always think about how it might pan out, given the systems currently in place and what happens when market forces reign supreme. and no, i've never heard any website/voiceover man american or otherwise say it, i'm quite capable of making up my own conspiracy theories, thanks. :wink: but of course you're probably right. everything's going to be just fine... :roll:

and that's rubbish about thatcher's eggs, i have all 666 of those and fully intend to train them up into handbad swinging killing machines as soon as they hatch.

thanks for the offer, but my worry is that the reagan DNA, evil as it undoubtedly is, may interfere with the pure evil of the thatcher DNA.

i'm not having my plans for world domination scuppered because my evil drones suddenly start mumbling incoherently and forget what they're doing in the whitehouse with a case full of anthrax and hypno-drugs... 8O

Now that you mention it, 97, 98, 99... nope I'm definitely missing one of them, funny little guy, talked about tieracks or eyeracks or summat. If anyone sees him.. whaddya mean he's on CNN?!!

Seriously tho, mebbe this is one of those topics that like CCTv, is best summed up by good old Judge Dredd... "Only the guilty have anyting to fear"...? Me, naive, how DARE you sir! :wink:

but if people could be penalised for having potentially guilty genes...

"we've checked the records mr. man, and it turns out you are carrying a bad gene, giving you a predisposition to anti-authoritarian behavior, making you 26% more likely to engage in what we consider criminal behavior. i'm terribly sorry to have to inform you of this, but we have to protect society from such dangerous elements as yourself, and as i'm sure you're aware, the standard pre-emptive correctional procedure for dealing with problem citizens is a 10 year stretch in belmarsh. but you may be pleased to hear that given your special circumstances we can reduce your incarceration by 4 years, as during our routine check we also discovered you have the cancer gene, and will be dead in 6." 8O