TV Licensing

Who is going to stop paying??  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to stop paying??

• Me
    • Not Me

Just to let you know, that if you don't have a TV License, be very careful.

The TV License people are in Shetland cold-calling!

This is an interesting topic!!! Why do you have to have the heading WARNING to people in this forum?

I have many properties and have a TV licence for every one of them, there is no need to feel sorry for anyone who has been caught for not having a TV licence....it is simply their problem, they know the law if they don’t want a licence don’t get a TV SIMPLE.

It is these types of inconsiderate people that cost me and everyone else more money each year from the taxman, for their lack of responsibility to pay for what they are due, unlike all the other millions of TV viewers who do.

I for one will sit back tonight and the rest of the week with nothing to worry about when someone knocks on the door.....I rest my case.

Because, Dear Doctor, the world is not full of perfect people. We can forget to renew the licence, we can have been given a tv and not yet got round to it or we might simply not have the money.

After all, although the BBC is a worthy recipient of the licence fee the way the fee is raised is unjust. A few years back I was paying the same licence fee for my little tv that I rarely watched(because I worked evenings) as were some friends of mine with 5 tvs and at least 3 of the family working.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you know, that if you don't have a TV License, be very careful.

The TV License people are in Shetland cold-calling!

This is an interesting topic!!! Why do you have to have the heading WARNING to people in this forum?

I have many properties and have a TV licence for every one of them, there is no need to feel sorry for anyone who has been caught for not having a TV licence....it is simply their problem, they know the law if they don’t want a licence don’t get a TV SIMPLE.

It is these types of inconsiderate people that cost me and everyone else more money each year from the taxman, for their lack of responsibility to pay for what they are due, unlike all the other millions of TV viewers who do.

I for one will sit back tonight and the rest of the week with nothing to worry about when someone knocks on the door.....I rest my case.

Because, Dear Doctor, the world is not full of perfect people. We can forget to renew the licence, we can have been given a tv and not yet got round to it or we might simply not have the money.

After all, although the BBC is a worthy recipient of the licence fee the way the fee is raised is unjust. A few years back I was paying the same licence fee for my little tv that I rarely watched(because I worked evenings) as were some friends of mine with 5 tvs and at least 3 of the family working.

JUST ME you are so aggressive in your answer, who said I was perfect, or indeed did I even think it, pretty dammed good but not perfect.

Now I cant speak for all the other peasants out there...only joking before anyone else wants to have a pop, but I always get a reminder for the renewal date, you can set up direct debit and never have to worry, or indeed as Fjool has pointed out 10p a day, if this is correct is not a lot of money for most people to afford, or indeed be like a Big Mouth who has no TV, pays no license and therefore does not screw the system.

Dr Who wrote

JUST ME you are so aggressive in your answer, who said I was perfect, or indeed did I even think it, pretty dammed good but not perfect.

Sire, I assure you no aggression was intended. Since back on this topic I do wonder if being unable to pay for the tv licence at the post offices will make much difference. After all there are few "pay points" (the new place to pay) in Shetland.

Dr Who wrote

Sire, I assure you no aggression was intended. Since back on this topic I do wonder if being unable to pay for the tv licence at the post offices will make much difference. After all there are few "pay points" (the new place to pay) in Shetland.

Forgiveness is granted.

Wealth does make a difference.

I NEVER WROTE THAT? PLEASE DO NOT MISQUOTE ME!

Thanks

Frances

I think the problem arises when you are paying for something that you may not necessarily want. What if you are not interested in any BBC channels? What if you use your television for only watching DVD's and ITV? You are still FORCED to pay for content that you are not interested in.

I am happy to pay for a TV license even though I watch very little television because I do occasionally watch some BBC content. Hopefully, now that digital television is becoming a reality the TV License will become a thing of the past as the good old Beeb will be able to scramble content to anybody who doesn't pay for a subscription.

You shouldn't be branded a criminal and a thief unless you are doing something wrong. I know of people in the past who have been terrified of the TV detection people even though they don't own a TV.

What if you use your television for only watching DVD's and ITV? You are still FORCED to pay for content that you are not interested in.

As I pointed out above, the licence doesn't just fund the BBC TV channels; there are lots of other things you might benefit from too. Radio (including Radio Shetland) and internet services to name but two obvious ones.

It also funds a great deal of the terrestrial television infrastructure so, even if you only watch ITV or the freeview digital channels, you're still using the transmitters and technology put in place by the licence fee.

I am happy to pay for a TV license even though I watch very little television because I do occasionally watch some BBC content. Hopefully, now that digital television is becoming a reality the TV License will become a thing of the past as the good old Beeb will be able to scramble content to anybody who doesn't pay for a subscription.

I am not happy to pay for a TV licence, but I would like to own a TV so that I could use a GameCube or some similar device. I believe that one might be able to get one with a screen, but it is hardly the same as a nice flat panel TV.

You shouldn't be branded a criminal and a thief unless you are doing something wrong. I know of people in the past who have been terrified of the TV detection people even though they don't own a TV.

When I moved here 3 years ago I was constantly hounded by mail by the TV licencing mafia. Every two to four weeks they would write to me and tell me that I would be prosecuted if they found that I had a TV, but I could ring their 0870 number, on which they make a profit, to plead my innocence. As there is supposed to be a presumption of innocence and as I thought that others might just think that I was a moaning sausage I tossed them in the bin. Eventually I moved but the letters just started coming to that address. Eventually I heard that other people were complaining about the tone of the letters, so I think that they were toned down somewhat.

Visiting someone on Fetlar one day I recounted the story. They gave me an 0800 number to ring so I rang up and asked them to stop hassling me. I did not have a TV nor any intention to own one. They told me that they would put a note on the database and would not send me any letters for 3 months. When they sent the next letter I was to ring them again. WTF? The licence could obviously be cheaper if they sent out less mail. Time for the old telephone directory trick perhaps.

If I actually owned my house or stayed in a registered property for a long time then I'd get one. In the meantime I'll just wait for them to come along, whereupon I'll say I that I just moved in and have “literally just sent off for itâ€. I'll then send off for it the next day and hope for the best… Until then it’s not of paramount concern.