TV Licensing

Who is going to stop paying??  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to stop paying??

• Me
    • Not Me

The TV license set up is a complete travesty. Far better to take it out of income tax and get rid the Nazis who run this department. They are such an obnoxious bunch I am sure (from experience) that there must be a whole sub-culture of underground Resistance people who have would otherwise pay up happily, but instead spend their time coming up with ways to avoid payment risking capture and torture. Even a buddhist would happily shoot them. It must be a tremendous cost, all this hunting down (usually innocent) civilians and threatening them.

:D I was laughing so hard at that I think that I have snapped a rib :D

Brilliant!!

I just look on it as another tax (which party introduced it?) which I avoid paying by not having a TV.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current licence fee is £135.50, £11.29 per month. That's too expensive for lots of people. I think funding should be dependent on income. It could come from income tax.

I also think the BBC should get far less funding. They should only receive funding for programmes which commercial stations are not doing. i.e. new music, small audience sports, Radio 4. I bet most of their funding goes on things which would be shown free on other channels anyway. i.e. football, Jonathan Ross, I'm in the jungle dancing with a celebrity, day time Radio 1. They need to stop competing for viewers and listeners. If a BBC show gets loads of viewers then sell it to a commercial station.

The current licence fee is £135.50, £11.29 per month. That's too expensive for lots of people. I think funding should be dependent on income. It could come from income tax.

I disagree. TV is not compulsory, although many seem to think that it is!! It's a service that should be paid for by those that wish to use it if the current regime of funding continues. If someone can't afford the licence bin the TV and do something useful instead.

I also think the BBC should get far less funding. They should only receive funding for programmes which commercial stations are not doing. i.e. new music, small audience sports, Radio 4. I bet most of their funding goes on things which would be shown free on other channels anyway. i.e. football, Jonathan Ross, I'm in the jungle dancing with a celebrity, day time Radio 1. They need to stop competing for viewers and listeners. If a BBC show gets loads of viewers then sell it to a commercial station.

I think that the Beeb should get no funding and should get its funding through advertising revenue. That way the TV licence could be binned altogether.

I totally disagree.

I dislike people telling me what to buy. I loathe and detest people telling my children what they should buy in order to be cool or fun on trendy or popular.

Ban adverts.

It doesn't REALLY matter whether a channel is paid for by advertising or fees anyway - ultimately it is the general public that pays for it. At least with fees it is fair as it is the people that watch TV that pay for it. The people that pay for TV via purchasing the products that are advertised may not be tv watchers...

I totally disagree.

I dislike people telling me what to buy. I loathe and detest people telling my children what they should buy in order to be cool or fun on trendy or popular.

Ban adverts.

Advertising works on our traits of gulibillty. No advertiser tells people what to buy. It is usually works with more subtlety than that as you allude to with the mention of your children.

Vanity (personalised) registration plates are a perfect example of how gullible we are. What does a personalised registration plate actually say about the person who has one? Many things really, but here are a few to be going on with: -

I want to show you how superior I am, despite the fact that I have this inferiority complex that makes me need to feel superior to you and demonstrating it by buying a vanity plate.

I have got so much money that I can waste it on this plate. The fact that the money could have been spent feeding a starving person instead is irrelevant to me.

I want to have these plates on my vehicles to show a corporate image because I feel that you will all be too stupid to notice the graphics that I have plastered all over the body of this vehicle. and instead spot a 18" x 6" plate (approx).

If we (the human race) weren't such a bunch of weaklings that had to follow every trend going the advertising industry would be brought to its knees, but like everyone else I have a house full of stuff that seemed really important at the time but just gathers dust!

It doesn't REALLY matter whether a channel is paid for by advertising or fees anyway - ultimately it is the general public that pays for it. At least with fees it is fair as it is the people that watch TV that pay for it. The people that pay for TV via purchasing the products that are advertised may not be tv watchers...

I think that you are putting the cart before the horse in the last sentence. Advertisers are placing ads on TV as another line of possible income generation. I wont have succumbed to TV advertising as I don't have a TV and will have purchased the product from either some need or other persuasive advertising. If the purchase allows them to spend more on advertising and therefore the running of the TV station so be it.

I absolutely agree with you re advertising.

But if you brought the advertising world to their knees - tv would suffer, as that is a major part of their income.

I don't get the relevance of the 'cart before the horse' thing - but part of the price that everyone pays for goods, is due to the cost of advertising. This is factored in to the retail price that people pay. The advertising quite often happens before the purchase does. Whether or not the person sees the advert - they are paying for it.

Anyway, Personally I'd still rather pay for the tv I want, and have no product advertising, than have advertising on tv and pay for it through other purchases - even though due to the type of goods I purchase, I probably pay less for advertising via products than the majority of the population.

I disagree. TV is not compulsory, although many seem to think that it is!! It's a service that should be paid for by those that wish to use it if the current regime of funding continues. If someone can't afford the licence bin the TV and do something useful instead.

TV is not compulsory, but I don't see why it shouldn't be free. I would say if u can't afford the licence and want to watch TV. Don't buy a licence. Who cares if it's against the law. :P Your not doing any harm.

I think that the Beeb should get no funding and should get its funding through advertising revenue. That way the TV licence could be binned altogether.

Definitely bin the TV licence. I don't have a problem with the BBC getting funding for programmes which would struggle to attract advertising though.

It would be a bad day for British media if the BBC had to become commercial. The BBC do so many things that are only possible because they are is no commercial aspect to it. I'm sure Radio Shetland wouldn't be viable if they relied on advertisers.

TV is not compulsory, but I don't see why it shouldn't be free.

Radio is, after all, and you used to need a licence for that. I agree, if TV is a necessary service it should be free at the point of use, like other state services. When I encounter advertising, I let it persuade me - IF I'm vaguely interested in the product, of course - to go for a competitor who has not paid money to ruin my viewing / listening. Ultimately, that's the only language they understand.

No TV Licence = One less Gov't department = Less tax = Fairer to all. But for Heaven's sake don't make it compulsory ... 90% of it is still crud. No, make that 99%.

Hope I make some sense. I should probably be in the "Wheeesht" thread ... errrrr ... vodka ... cricket ... no, errrrrrr was about right. :)

• 4 months later...

I got a letter (in bright red, no less) through the door today telling me that my address has no license and I would therefore be receiving a random visit from their 'Enforcement Officers'. Said officers may 'call at any time during the day, in the evening or at the weekend'.

This is the second letter from them. Stupid thing is that I informed them that I had moved house several weeks ago via their silly automated telephone service (cannot actually speak to a person). Shortly after moving, I received some threats, so I went online and updated my details on their silly website too.

I have long been a defender of the TV license system and have held a valid license for every place I've lived for the last 12 or so years but now I'm being hassled unrelentingly because their service is crappy

I resent my license fee going toward pestering me because they cannot get their act together. :evil:

Dumbasses.

^ This is what really galls me though; I've already paid for it! Every last penny of my license is paid up until Nov 30th... and they're treating me like some kind of malicious scum. Behaving as if they have the right to come into my house whenever they choose! Sodding outrageous.