29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to stop paying??

• Me
    • Not Me

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, the evidence in support of your claim will be provided to the Courts, as necessary and in due time.

I think I would like to see the evidence for myself before getting the summons, but with the sherriff up here having the law on your side means pootle all so I think I'll be a wait and see.

Not sure what you're getting at with jimmyr.com. It looks like an aggregate of all the links posted on social media sites like digg/slashdot/fark/metafilter and boingboing. Places I waste enough time on as it is...

Exactly, a nice all round site that covers all the bases.but nothing to gratify Blacklisted?

I might have a bit more faith in the information on the site if it didn't rely on pretty much the same principles at the moment that the Calamity/Forvik one does....crashing ahead, to "force" the other side to initiate (or otherwise) legal moves, which they believe will vindicate their own POV if/when those actions have gone through the Courts.

A risky tactic at any place or time, but if, as alleged the BBC are in the pockets of politicians, does anyone really believe the same politicians will let the UK courts hang them out to dry. Maybe you do, but I sure as hell don't.

But CB radio still requires a licence, right?

I think it was abolished in 2006. Before that it was free to under 21s. this is just for the 27MHz frequencys. It's illegal to use CB equipment for the UHF 934 MHz frequencys now, because of crossover freqs with cellular radio telephones. Muhaha :P

Merged this in with the previous thread about TV licensing.

If sufficient people refused to pay the license fee it would be scrapped. Just like the 'Poll Tax'.

It would be scrapped along with the BBC. I know that others disagree, but I think this would be a shame. I like Dr Who, amongst other programmes. I think they also promote music well, providing lots of good radio and web content. Many of my childrens' favourite programmes come from the BBC, and it is probably license fees which go towards developing new technologies such as digital terrestrial and interactives.

Considering the other stuff people are prepared to pay for, I think the TV license is a bargain. I think it is the compulsory nature which galls people. Am I right?

Around thirty years ago sufficient people 'crashed ahead' that it forced the government to change the laws to permit 'Citizens Band Radio'.

Yes, the methodology is known to work, I have no issues with either using it, or its proven level of effectiveness.

The bits that bothers me is the convoluted legal dance that's outlined on that site, which is (alleged) to make non payment "legal". For one thing, and to quote from a previous political scandal, "Nothing has been proved", and for another, why take the hard road, when there's a beautiful and easy one? Don't watch TV, don't own a TV set, then it is a well proven fact you don't need a licence, it even says so in the TV Licensing peoples bumpf.

If someone believes, as by default they are proving they do by following the "instructions" to not pay their licence as given on that site, that they believe the BBC has sold out, and presents content biased in favour of the alleged paymasters. Aren't they being a hypocrite by keeping on usng the BBC's services and other providers services that paying for the BBC is legally a pre-condition of watching?

If folk would crash on en masse and quit watching TV, the BBC and politicians would soon pay attention and change things. Even if they didn't off their own bat, then certainly under pressure from the electrical equipment manufacturers and retailers, other TV transmission companies, power companies etc, who'll all see a very sharp drop in sales. If a stand is going to be made, it needs to be immediate, and to maximum effect, what's on that site is far to convoluted and full of far to many "ifs" to ever be that.

Merged this in with the previous thread about TV licensing.

If sufficient people refused to pay the license fee it would be scrapped. Just like the 'Poll Tax'.

Considering the other stuff people are prepared to pay for, I think the TV license is a bargain. I think it is the compulsory nature which galls people. Am I right?

You are certainly right in my case. I have never bought a TV licence in my life, unless you count the £15 per year I (used to) pay for a radio amateur licence which allows me to transmit and receive TV signals. However,two days after my 75th birthday last November,I received a free licence for a derelict property. How's that for service?

The TV licence is simply another government tax. The aether is free and,as many other companies have proved,they can pay massive taxes to the government and still make a profit. So could the BBC,without losing it's independence.

As far as I am concerned, the BBC provides a very good service without the intrusion of adverts.

I also pay for Sky TV ( a lot more than the BBC licence fee) and endure a lot of adverts - sometimes only minutes after a programme starts.

If you have had the misfortune to watch local TV in other countries, you would then appreciate the BBC for the quality and diversity of programmes it offers. The BBC is the envy of many countries - and rightly so.

When I am in country where English is not spoken at all I am very grateful to be able to access the BBC World News and also for the World Service on Radio. The world service is something the British Public gives freely to oppressed and free nations everywhere, and contrary to what some people say it does offer an unbiased account of world news, which in some countries is the only true account of events that people receive.

Pleepsie best wishes but have you seen:

http://www.weddingscot.info/tv.htm

KILL Your TV

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

Stop paying your TV Licence fee NOW!

http://tpuc.org/stoppayingtvlicencefees

I am surprised that anyone pays for a "Licence" to use their own personal property. How Odd.[/img]