29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to stop paying??

• Me
    • Not Me

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite easy for them to track since any address which appears on the electoral roll and not on the TV licence list is likely to be a violator. I know someone who genuinely had no TV but they didn't believe this since 'everyone has a TV these days'.

8O That happened to me in perthshire... I couldnt get a reception on my arial because it was facing the wrong way, and they wanted me to pay for a tv licence.. I DONT THINK SO... for what, so I can have the luxury of watching dvds, listening to cds, and watching video's and playing the xbox on what I payed good money for....

THE CHEEK! If I was getting a reception FAIR ENUFF but I wasnt!

:x

Guest Anonymous

The sad problem is that even if you can't get a signal, the fact that you are in possession of equipment, TV, VCR,, PC card, set top box, etc.., which is capable of such reception, requires you by law to have a licence.

Yes I know the law is an ass, as usual. This is one of the few laws where guilt rather than innocence is presummed.

If this legal attitude was to apply accross the board then all men would be arrested for rape,, just because they have the necessary equipment. :wink:

The sad problem is that even if you can't get a signal, the fact that you are in possession of equipment, TV, VCR,, PC card, set top box, etc.., which is capable of such reception, requires you by law to have a licence.

Yes I know the law is an ass, as usual. This is one of the few laws where guilt rather than innocence is presummed.

If this legal attitude was to apply accross the board then all men would be arrested for rape,, just because they have the necessary equipment. :wink:

Maybe someone can confirm this but as I understand it the law requires people to get a tv licence to "install and operate" tv reception equipment. I think "install" has to be the operative word here.......not connecting equipment to an aerial surely means it is not installed within the meaning of tv licencing law.

Personally, despite the fact that I almost never watch TV, I have no argument with paying for a TV licence. It's not really that expensive and I do quite like the BBC. I listen to Radio 1 and 2, use their websites, enjoy the concerts they put on, like their approach to promoting new music, like the fact that they regularly produce world famous series such as Dr Who, Extras, Teletubbies... uhm.. no.. hang on.... scratch that last one; they've promoted broadband in the UK, snap at the heels of government, raise public awareness on various issues, encourage voting, provide councelling for children on various topics, push new technologies such as Teletext, Nicam, Digital TV, HDTV, etc.

You only have to look at the quality of broadcasting in other countries, or the number and frequency of adverts on commercial stations, to see that publicly funded media isn't such a bad idea.

not connecting equipment to an aerial surely means it is not installed within the meaning of tv licencing law

Not as far as I know. If you have a working TV in your house, you need a licence for it. It's a question of whether it is capable of receiving, not whether it actually receives, a signal.

The laws have changed a few times. I remember years back someone won a case where he didn't have to pay his tv licence as he was only getting sky. The government then forced sky to carry BBC channels to get around this.

More recently: you are now required to have a tv licence for any device that can recieve tv. Computers, phones, etc. One licence covers the whole house.

A few years back when I was in a band, we all moved to Bradford. We rented a house without a stick of furniture, no tv, radio, etc. For months we had no tv, but the threarening letters still came, culminating in threats of prison, etc. I even got letters to say that they'd detected the use of a tv in my house. They were either mistaken or using bully-boy tactics.

I've no problem paying the licence. Its gotta be better than sitting down to watch something, only to have the first adverts play straight after the opening credits, then what feels like every other minute thereafter (Lost).

Wait, so if your at Uni and you don't have a tv you might still have to pay a liscence seeing as you have a laptop?

Only if your laptop is 'capable of receiving a TV signal' and you'd need specific hardware (TV tuner card) for this.

A thorny issue here might be whether being able to watch news and sport videos provided by the BBC counts. During the World Cup, only British internet users were able to view matches live from the BBC's site but this might have had more to do with FIFA's world-wide licencing than TV licencing.

The TV licence is a pain in the ass.

Whilst in halls at Uni, we would regularly get letters through the door warning us about having no TV Licence.

Turned out they were checking individual rooms rather than actual flats, so the quick removal of a TV, Video and 3 games consoles into a cupboard in the kitchen was probably unneccesary.

Ok, brought to you at minimal cost of my time is this from the tv licencing website

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.
I think that the word "use" is quite clear as are the words "to receive".

Also from the licencing website is a funny list of excuses found at http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/excuses.jsp

I had a strange relationship with them a while back.....somehow due to the Royal Mail deciding my flat was in a different street to where they used to say it was I got several visits and lots of mail before the licencing people accepted there was just the one flat.

On the broader debate about the licence fee I am a firm believer in the BBC being funded although I think a better way could be found. Keeping all the licence investigators in a job is using money that could well go to the BBC.

Fjool, what is wrong with Teletubbies that you dont count it as a bit of world class tv?.

Just to let you know, that if you don't have a TV License, be very careful.

The TV License people are in Shetland cold-calling!

This is an interesting topic!!! Why do you have to have the heading WARNING to people in this forum?

I have many properties and have a TV licence for every one of them, there is no need to feel sorry for anyone who has been caught for not having a TV licence....it is simply their problem, they know the law if they don’t want a licence don’t get a TV SIMPLE.

It is these types of inconsiderate people that cost me and everyone else more money each year from the taxman, for their lack of responsibility to pay for what they are due, unlike all the other millions of TV viewers who do.

I for one will sit back tonight and the rest of the week with nothing to worry about when someone knocks on the door.....I rest my case.

I have many properties and have a TV licence for every one of them, there is no need to feel sorry for anyone who has been caught for not having a TV licence....it is simply their problem, they know the law if they don’t want a licence don’t get a TV SIMPLE.

Wealth does make a difference.