REPOPULATING THE ISLANDS.

cicero

It has come to my notice that recently there has been mention of repopulating the islands. My son who comes here for holidays and to visit me has said that he would like to relocate to the Shetland isles on a permanent basis. This would be a win situation for the isles as he can drive tankers/hgvs, he would also bring his  four small daughters and his wife who is a teacher in training. He has written to various employers and there are jobs available but he would need a council house. He has also written to various councillors and received replies but they could not offer any assistance. I do realize that there is a waiting list for council houses but I do find it strange that our councillors are looking at ways to bring foreign nationals here as I assume that they will require council houses. Could we have some sort of merit system in place to cater for off islanders to come here and bring with them needed skills and children to start the next generation. I look forward to all your comments.

Agree with what MuckleJoannie has said but if your family is willing to consider moving to a more remote part of Shetland, there’s generally a lower demand for housing. Some areas (Fetlar for example) have council properties which have been lying empty for years.  

Until there’s real traction on some of the larger developments in the pipeline (Staney Hill, the Knab etc) I don’t think there’s a short term solution to this one unfortunately. For everybody who thinks priority should be given to incoming workers, someone else will be of the view that priority should be given to locals who have had their name on the housing list for years. 

There would be little point in moving to places like Fetlar if the bulk of your work is in the Cetral Mainland.

As for allocation of available housing, most of it seems to go towards reprobates, renegades, runaways and misc others who seem to contribute very little to the local economy.  All paid for with our taxes.

If you are young(ish), fit and willing to work, one of the few options available is to rent privately.  Problem with this is that you will end up paying a high price to clear someone else'e mortgage/bank loan etc. with little hope of ever being able to save enough to buy your own place.

On 04/10/2021 at 09:04, Colin said:

There would be little point in moving to places like Fetlar if the bulk of your work is in the Cetral Mainland.

I agree but the depopulation of the isles that Cicero is alluding to is far more of an issue on the outer isles.

If Cicero's son was to shift to empty social housing on Fetlar I'd have no issue with it. If Cicero's son jumped the queue and stopped a family member on the mainland who had lived there all their days from getting a house then basically that is wrong.

Of course this would be far less of an issue if all the social housing stock hadn't been flogged years ago.

Selling Council Houses wasn't really the problem.  It was not allowing Coucils to replace them with new build stock (+ the extra that were needed) that caused the current problem.

Unfortunately, we seem to have a points based 'needs' system that prioritises those deemed 'needy' over those who can actually contribute to society via gainful employment. 

I have a son who has been living in a Private Rental for an awful lot of years.  He has little, or no, chance of a Council let because he is able bodied and working full time, and I have another son who is still at home for the same reasons but doesn't really earn enough to pay someone else's mortgage.

Don't get me wrong here, but wouldn't it be wiser to offer the 'needy' a home on somewhere like Fetlar and keep the few availble houses in 'choice' areas for the folk that work in those areas?