Quarff Hill

Njugle

It was before my time, and those who saw it in action and from whom I learned of it are long gone,

Boy - du's makkin me feel I should be six feet under....

I can remember watching the peats come down on the pulley I'm certain. My mothers family come from Levenwick, so I spent many summer holidays platchin along the beach. I'll try to remember to ask about the pulley system next time I see some of them.

I suppose we could run a poll to see how many of you accurately guess which decade I'm in :twisted: :lol:

Well, if truth be told it may well have been still going on in my time, but coming from the other side of the hill I wasn't seeing much of Levenwick until I was old enough to get myself there.

Come to think of it I don't rightly know if it was sledges or just herring baskets they used, I was just assuming sledges as that's what folk used in the steeper ground our side.

Damn, i was up there this afternoon and didn't notice that. The buildings are really hard to get into now as the wooden steps are all but gone and i cracked my knee climbing in :) . If anyone is heading up that way i suggest taking a short ladder or something.

I got in, very recently :P , but my legs are pretty lang, it was very undignified, and probably a bit chancey. Especially the western one, for which i had to rely on a slight toe-hold on the rotten step side-baton remnant, and stepping on the pile of rubble, perched on the remainder of the rotten steps. I wouldn't recomend it to anyone. My foolishness was caused by the fact that i had walked an awfully long way (not from Quarff!) and really didn't fancy returning with a ladder anytime soon.

[edit] oops, on first read i thought you were implying you didn't get in, but reading it back you did, which makes you as foolish as me![/edit]

Yeah it was a real struggle but i made it in the end. To be honest there's not really much to see inside and i'm not sure the risk of crippling yourself in the process is worth it For anyone planning to head up there the easiest way is to go from Brindister and just head towards the trig point on top of the Quarff Hill. It's further, but a lot less steep than any of the other routes up. The previous time i went i walked from Scalloway in the snow. Seems a bit foolish now thinking back on it.

All I remember about the Quarff Hill was climbing to the top on a Sunday School picnic (remember those?) and then rolling all the way down on my side.

Not a good move.

We thought it was a good idea at the top... we got to the bottom very quickly, but boy were our heads spinning... Don't think I would have eaten many of those egg sandwiches that year :lol:

All I remember about the Quarff Hill was climbing to the top on a Sunday School picnic (remember those?) and then rolling all the way down on my side.

Not a good move.

We thought it was a good idea at the top... we got to the bottom very quickly, but boy were our heads spinning... Don't think I would have eaten many of those egg sandwiches that year :lol:

8O 8O 8O

That would be something like this!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzOmLXKMIQ

and as the hill was so steep, he took a spade and cut steps into the face of the hill :!: This is the hill on the North side of Quarff.

I remember as a child (not yesterday) climbing steps up the side of the hill, ever since, i've tried to find them again , but to no avail. Great scenery from up there!

• 2 weeks later...