Is this a more tetchy forum than most?

Frances144

Having participated on several forums over the years, I'd say Shetlink has a below average tetchyness rating.

The only ones I've been on who played nicely with everything all the time have been computer tech ones, anywhere else has been much like Shetlink right up to very much worse, definitely bullet proof vest and hard hat places some were/are. :P

Shetlink is well below on the tetchiness scale (check out this one if you want some real B'strards! http://www.perspectives.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=71 )

Having said that, there's always a few that can't help but get a little uptight in response to what you probably intended as a fairly innocuous comment. I mind putting my oar in about some topic or other a while back and some guest replied with "Stay in Edinburgh, you're not welcome back here" (or words to that effect), which was nice.

It's just like real life really. Most folk are quite decent, but occasionally you'll meet someone who's a bit of a dick. Pay 'em no heed and stick around, I say.

• 4 weeks later...
I write on a few forums (or fora?) about this and that and I have to say that this forum is very tetchy and people are very quick to have a go or bite.

Maybe it is me, but I am beginning to not want to put my head about the parapet as it is bound to be bitten off immediately the minute I have any view about anything.

I never thought I was particularly contraversial in my thoughts or writings but the amount of abuse and instant loathing I seem to attract on this forum is extraordinary. I am at the point where I think I will ask to have my name taken off the memberslist or just go for anonymity like alot do.

Probably me though. I realise you have to take responsibility for what you write but this forum seems to be full of picky, spikey folk who attack your every word.

Frances (aka Mystery person who may perhaps go into hiding very very soon)

I have to actually stand up and be counted with this one and say the same.. it is so easy to be "smart mouthed" on a forum because you cant see the person... but standing in front of them might be a different story...

I would say that this forum sometimes tends to be a little self richeous... and quick to correct ... when none of us is perfect... we all say stupid things from time to time... SWEAR! and I have had swearing removed... before... but it seems to be tollerated elsewhere... on occassion.... but as I say, thats fine. NONE OF US IS PERFECT... nor right all the time....

Its not what you say, its how you say it... i.e You could say "I respect your view but..........." The thing is everyone wants to be right... and there is no one right because it is all down to views, and relativity....

I have to say in my opinion that this forum is fairly tame in comparison to others that I post on. Anyone remember (or like me still use) usenet? You got some really classic flame wars on there. You know, along the lines of:

The sky is blue.

Response:

How dare you express your fascist nazi views in alt.sky.is.blue. You should be taken out and ! etc etc etc.

Na, Shetlink is pretty innocuous, as these things go. If someone sends or posts a message that you take offense to, respond in a calm and reasonable manner, and avoid name calling, etc. Differences of opinion are unavoidable, its just the manner of the discussion that requires a little self-restraint. Also, read every message at least twice before responding to make sure that there's no way you could have misread or misunderstood the meaning.

--

BigMick

I have to say in my opinion that this forum is fairly tame in comparison to others that I post on. Anyone remember (or like me still use) usenet? You got some really classic flame wars on there. You know, along the lines of:

The sky is blue.

Response:

How dare you express your fascist nazi views in alt.sky.is.blue. You should be taken out and ! etc etc etc.

Na, Shetlink is pretty innocuous, as these things go. If someone sends or posts a message that you take offense to, respond in a calm and reasonable manner, and avoid name calling, etc. Differences of opinion are unavoidable, its just the manner of the discussion that requires a little self-restraint. Also, read every message at least twice before responding to make sure that there's no way you could have misread or misunderstood the meaning.

--

BigMick

I agree :tmbup; :wink:

i think its alot to do with where you post, if you are going to post in places such as the nothlink discussion then you are bound to have people with very strong views which will make it clear to you, however if you post in somewhere more lighthearted the posts surrounding yours will follow suit.

i dont think its anything to do with people being spitfull, just opinionated

Frances144 I think du is just a jewel! Thanks for saying what a lot o folk have been thinkin! And thanks everybody for replyin to say go for it anyway! I decided I couldna be buddered wi da hassle any more and hadna posted for a month, but then I couldna resist havin a sneaky look at shetlink to see whit news, and this thread has just decided me to get back into it and have fun! Cheers.

My particular favourite, this makes me laugh so much!

It's just like real life really. Most folk are quite decent, but occasionally you'll meet someone who's a bit of a dick. Pay 'em no heed and stick around, I say

:P :D :P :D :P

:twisted: Yeah HOW TRUE! ... Its easy to be the big shot on a forum and be mouthy... a little less easy when it is face to face... I am so glad that I am moving to shetland... :P :P

There are times when you read posts and you necessarily dont agree or really want to say something about it, but it might be hurtful or indeed just plain bitchy... so you dont bother... but there are others that go out of their way to have no decorum whatsoever... and are insensitive...

• 2 years later...