Clairvoyance/ Second Sight/ Psychics/ Spiritualism

Guest perrie-lipper

Wow. ok. BIG can of worms. Just to clarify, I am aware that this is a public forum and I didn't set out to disrespect posiedons beliefs. I simply asked him not to dismiss mine! If you are a christian or were discussing your religion in one of these threads, it would be completely ignorant and downright rude of me to stick my nose in and tell you that "there is NO God" or Budda or whatever your fancy. We are all entitled to our views. I don't believe in psychics, but my dear Mother does, and instead of telling her she's a fool to believe such things, I'm helping her to find someone who was able to offer some much needed comfort at a time when she needed it the most.

i just said that because Redz4493 is a bit hypocritical with what he said. Well there is always 1 that "believes completely that EVERYONE else is so totally wrong about everything." lol

the world would be a dismal place without them :lol:

I'm a 'SHE' btw, and I'm not a hypocrit. BUT HEY, believe what YOU want to!!

crap sorry if i offended you. i was not having a dig at you, i was just stating that its a public forum so anyone can post here and no matter with what subject at least 1 person is going to disagree with you at some point. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs even though posiedon does not believe in it he did come across pretty badly but with this being a public forum nothing is going to stop people posting comments (even ones that we disagree with, but instead of fanning the flame dont reply to them)

i said you were being a bit hypocritical about what you said because "Posiedon - Maybe you need to have some respect for other peoples beliefs." yet you did not show respect for his beliefs, you could have just dismissed his post and continued not letting it affect you but you did not.

sorry for thinking you were a bloke :oops:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice on my travels that an awful lot of people believe in psychic ability.

At airports most passengers believe that airport staff have this ability.

"will next tuesdays flight be on time"

" when is the fog going to clear"

" when is the volcano going to stop"

If they knew that they could make a fortune without having to work! :roll:

crap sorry if i offended you. i was not having a dig at you, i was just stating that its a public forum so anyone can post here and no matter with what subject at least 1 person is going to disagree with you at some point. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs even though posiedon does not believe in it he did come across pretty badly but with this being a public forum nothing is going to stop people posting comments (even ones that we disagree with, but instead of fanning the flame dont reply to them)

i said you were being a bit hypocritical about what you said because "Posiedon - Maybe you need to have some respect for other peoples beliefs." yet you did not show respect for his beliefs, you could have just dismissed his post and continued not letting it affect you but you did not.

sorry for thinking you were a bloke :oops:

No offence taken. I see where you are coming from! I just can't be doing with folk (such as posideon) that find the need to make unhelpful comments like that. I did not disrespect his beliefs though! If I had said that he was wrong and psychics DID exist, that would be disrespectful to his beliefs! I simply asked him (and not to rudely, I think) to not disrespect the beliefs of others. I made no comment on his opinion of psychics. However, I do think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and he has the right to voice his, so I apologise if I caused offence by asking him to keep it to himself. Perhaps, though, he should have voiced it in a more appropriate place on the forum. PHEW!

On a side note, Steve ('the psychic') Robson is the man I was looking for but unfortunately he retired 7 years ago and is living in England somewhere. Nae luck.

I don't believe in psychics, but my dear Mother does, and instead of telling her she's a fool to believe such things, I'm helping her to find someone who was able to offer some much needed comfort at a time when she needed it the most.

Out of interest, do you mind someone else profiting off of your mothers grief/illness/whatever if you don't personally believe it? I can see how you would do anything to give her comfort/hope, but personally it would leave a bad taste in my mouth if I thought it was all fake

^^ The same argument would apply equally to any belief. Virtually all or them are in some way "organised" and in need of funds. Does it matter what they believe and preach, when to the unconverted nothing of what they say has been proven.

I can see how you would do anything to give her comfort/hope, but personally it would leave a bad taste in my mouth if I thought it was all fake

This tends to be exactly how I feel when someone close to me leans in what is in my opinion too heavily on the church, in whatever aspect, as a way of getting through troubles.

Guest posiedon
MJ

^oh yes he would.

Thanks for that MJ but I can speak for myself.
MJ

It must take a lot of conviction to believe completely that EVERYONE else is so totally wrong about everything.

Where did I say that?

Please don't attribute opinions to me that I have never expressed.

Because I think all forms of none evidence based woo is..............well........woo, does not mean that I think "everyone is totally wrong about everything"

Redz4493

I am aware that this is a public forum and I didn't set out to disrespect posiedons beliefs.

What are these beliefs of which you speak?
zebbidy

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs even though posiedon does not believe in it he did come across pretty badly

I call a spade a spade, anyone that can't handle that shouldn't debate on public forums.

Redz4493

I did not disrespect his beliefs though! If I had said that he was wrong and psychics DID exist, that would be disrespectful to his beliefs!

You're doing it again, What are these beliefs of which you speak?

I simply asked him (and not to rudely, I think) to not disrespect the beliefs of others. I made no comment on his opinion of psychics.
If you hold unprovable and highly unlikely "beliefs" you can expect to be ridiculed, especially when your belief is helping charlatans such as "psychics" and "Tea leaf readers" to continue to fleece the gullible.

However, I do think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and he has the right to voice his, so I apologise if I caused offence by asking him to keep it to himself.
You'll be glad to know; I'm unoffendable (or maybe you won't)

Perhaps, though, he should have voiced it in a more appropriate place on the forum.

Is there a more appropriate thread than the one disussing the subject?

Posiedon - Maybe you need to have some respect for other peoples beliefs.

I have a feeling that you don't actually mean what you wrote there. It is very common for people to mix up the terms respect and tolerance. It is generally fine to say that people should be tolerant of other people's beliefs, or that people should respect other's rights to hold such beliefs. It is quite a different thing to say that people should respect other's beliefs. The classic example is that of Nazis, about whom it is often heard "I disagree with their views, but, however objectionable they are, I believe they have a right to express them." Respecting their right to hold dodgy beliefs, but not respecting the beliefs.

Good grief. :shock: Yes, I may have been misinterpreted in my use of the word belief! Posiedon: your statement that "there is no such thing as psychics" would clearly suggest to be that you BELIEVE that psychics do not exist! Hence, the 'beliefs' I spoke of. I make no assumption about any other beliefs you may hold, whether religious or otherwise. And as far as an appropriate place to voice your opinion of psychics, I must point out that I did not start this thread to discuss the existence of people with any paranormal gifts! I simply wanted help in locating a man, who HAPPENS to work in the field of mediumship. It was information that might have helped others remember him. I was not, and am not, interested in debating the subject. I couldn't care less what he did for a living (if he was a truck driver, we wouldn't be having this conversation). I hope that we can leave it at that.

In response to comments regarding my mother - as far as she was concerned at the time (1989), he was worth every penny. She is not a gullible person, and went along to see him with an open mind. And being that I was only 7 at the time, I don't believe I was ALLOWING someone to profit from her grief. People spend inordinate amounts of money on the things they believe in, be it the church or the lottery. It is entirely up to the individual what they spend their money on. Personally, as long as it is not causing harm to themselves or others, I don't care. And I don't grudge her one session with a medium (who, by the way, was inexplicably accurate). Its not to say that I wouldn't talk to her about it, if I thought that she was being taken advantage of, but she has her own mind and I will respect her decisions. :)

It's all about facts, not beliefs. You are entitled to your own beliefs. You are not entitled to your own facts.

The facts about psychics are that no evidence whatsoever has ever been found for any kind of psychic abilities. On the other hand, all of the so-called psychic abilities displayed by claimed psychics have been duplicated by stage magicians who have then gone on to explain exactly how the trick is done. No psychic abilities required. Anyone claiming psychic abilities is a fraud. That is why woo practitioners like psychics, astrologers and all other fleecers of the gullible are required by law to make the statement: "For entertainment purposes only"* on their ads.

* Now, when that notice is displayed outside every church, mosque and temple in the land, I will truly believe we have left the Dark Ages behind.

:twisted:

If you hold unprovable and highly unlikely "beliefs" you can expect to be ridiculed, especially when your belief is helping charlatans such as "psychics" and "Tea leaf readers" to continue to fleece the gullible.

I don't ridicule religious people and I don't think they can prove their god/gods exist. I do respect them for believing in that which cannot be proven because it's easy to be cynical it's difficult to have faith.

Redz4493 shouldn't be made to feel that their opinions or views are not as worthy as others and that they are to be ridiculed and picked at, she came here to get some information if all you folks jumping on Redz have that information hand it over otherwise it's very much off the topic of the thread they started (can you help me find someone) and sticking it in a thread where Redz is in my view being humiliated is a poor show.

Wise words Johan. The merging of the thread was an unfortunate consequence of the immediate response from the cynical zealots.

It is a shame that those so fanatical are so intolerant.

If I had time I'd raise the philosophical point that any for of mind-reading or divination, even if totally unproven, could still be considered a valued service to society - to those that enjoy it. Derren Brown, champion of the antithesis has made a tremendous career from cold-reading and autosuggestion and the cynical follow him with a passion. He may explain what he's doing, but he's still performing the same age-old sideshow antics, and being handsomely reimbursed for doing so.

I watch movies from time to time, and read the occasional book but, when I come across some fiction in either, I don't jump on a soap box and cry "Foul!" So are authors and film makers fakes and parasites on society also? :wink:

Hopefully anyone with the info originally requested will pm Redz.

I don't ridicule religious people and I don't think they can prove their god/gods exist. I do respect them for believing in that which cannot be proven because it's easy to be cynical it's difficult to have faith.

I refuse to respect people who believe that I should be tortured in Hell for all eternity because I listen to heavy metal, read books by Richard Dawkins and shop on Sundays. I don't care how difficult it is to believe that sort of nonsense.

^I'm not telling you to respect anyone. I was making the point that not everyone will ridicule people for having beliefs and ideal contrary to their own. Just like I wouldn't make fun of you for listening to heavy metal while reading a Richard Dawkins book in the fruit and veg aisle of Tescos on a sunday.

I was making the point that not everyone will ridicule people for having beliefs and ideal contrary to their own.

Doesn't that very much depend on what those beliefs are ? I don't see anything wrong with questioning the beliefs of someone who thinks all ginger people should be stoned to death, for example.