Clairvoyance/ Second Sight/ Psychics/ Spiritualism

Guest perrie-lipper

I remember one occassion though when a medium mentioned a name to me during a service (not a usual name that anyone might know someone called by ie jean, jim, mary,bob etc) that meant absolutely nothing to me when I phoned round the family afterwards to see if it meant anything to anyone it turned out to be the name of an aunt that I never knew existed, so if anyone can explain to me how a cold reader could come out with the name even if they where reading me, or how anyone could know more about distant members of my family that I didn't know about myself, then please sstart explaining.

The medium simply mentioned a name, they didn't say that it was the name of your aunt. If any one of dozens of people ( relatives, school friends, teachers, co-workers, neighbours, or even pets ) had had this name, it would still count as a successful "prediction".

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one occassion though when a medium mentioned a name to me during a service (not a usual name that anyone might know someone called by ie jean, jim, mary,bob etc) that meant absolutely nothing to me when I phoned round the family afterwards to see if it meant anything to anyone it turned out to be the name of an aunt that I never knew existed, so if anyone can explain to me how a cold reader could come out with the name even if they where reading me, or how anyone could know more about distant members of my family that I didn't know about myself, then please sstart explaining.

The medium simply mentioned a name, they didn't say that it was the name of your aunt. If any one of dozens of people ( relatives, school friends, teachers, co-workers, neighbours, or even pets ) had had this name, it would still count as a successful "prediction".

I have slightly altered the above post to state that the message given by this person did mean something to me.

I accept what you say the message could have been from anybody (but if I had known the person or not it doesn't alter the fact that the message meant something and made sense to me)

I know though from speaking to different people both mediums and spiritualists etc that you dont always get to know who the message is from sometimes the medium doesnt get a name or what relation they are to you at all, all the medium gets is the message. At times that message may mean nothing to you at all, (sometimes it is how the medium delivers the message that doesnt make sense)but something may crop up in a conversation or something may happen shortly after that makes the message make complete sense.

I have received messages and been with other people who have received messages that have had to come from somewhere, that cant as some would say have come from cold read things of a personal nature or things that you havent yet discussed with anybody.

What was the message?

I'd be impressed if it was along the lines of: 'Carla, your great Aunty Erminetrude says that she left the treasure buried beside the old tree you used to picnic at as a child.'

and then for there to be some treasure (of course).

And not so impressed if the message was similar to:

I have an Erminetrude here. She says that she's happy, and not to worry about the incident. All is forgiven.

What was the message?

I'd be impressed if it was along the lines of: 'Carla, your great Aunty Erminetrude says that she left the treasure buried beside the old tree you used to picnic at as a child.'

and then for there to be some treasure (or whatever).

And not so impressed if the message was similar to:

I have an Erminetrude here. She says that she's happy, and not to worry about the incident. All is forgiven.

LOL no they never said where the treasure was buried and even though I have asked no ones given me this weeks winning lottery numbers either :D :D

To be honest I cant recall the message all I recall is that at the time the message meant something personal to me. the reason I recall it at all is because of the name and finding out that I had an aunt I knew nothing about.

I can recall messages about moving house when nobody knew we where planning to move, about travelling across the the sea to get there, when no one knew we where planning to move to Shetland.

A message doesn't have to be profound to an audience for it to be of importance and meaning to an individual.

A message doesn't have to be profound to an audience for it to be of importance and meaning to an individual.

I realise. However, it seems from everything I've seen that these messages are always as vague and generic as possible.

People are pattern-matching machines. It's what we do best and, when presented with something vague and open-ended, automatically fill the blanks and make best of what we hear.

I suggest that such 'messages' are deliberately vague and that an 'open mind' will do whatever work necessary to make them meaningful.

I, for example am a psychic. I can deliver messages through the internet and I have this one. I'm not sure who it's to, but someone on these forums will know it's for them:

It's from someone who calls themselves... Geoff... maybe Gordon... perhaps Graham, but definitely a man ... or maybe a lady... Gertrude... Jemima.... Anyway... they say that it was wonderful to meet you, so very briefly, but they hope everything went well with your operation. Don't worry, you will be happy eventually.

I obviously dont have any idea as to what you have seen so I can only agree with the majority of what you say.

If though someone was giving me messages like that, or if I saw them giving messages like that to other people I wouldn't be impressed by them in the slightest.

As I said previously I have seen and heard about people who seem to be cold reading or just making it up.

On the other hand when someone gives you a message that makes complete sense to you without any beating about the bush even though it might be of a fairly trivial nature, you cant just shrug it off as a lucky guess or a fluke.

I can recall messages about moving house when nobody knew we where planning to move, about travelling across the the sea to get there, when no one knew we where planning to move to Shetland.

Shetland isn't the only place you have to travel across the sea to get to :)

Very true but we still moved across the sea. when there where loads of other places we could have moved to without crossing the sea.

Very true but we still moved across the sea. when there where loads of other places we could have moved to without crossing the sea.

On average, there are more places you'd have to cross the sea to reach than not. The 'across the sea' gambit is common.

Even using the Forth Road Bridge counts as "crossing the sea"...

Rather than start an arguement or drag this on in to pettiness.

I cant expect everyone to believe the same as me but I expect people to respect my right to my beliefs, as long as they harm no one else or have a detremental effect on their lives.

I guess all I can say is

I have my beliefs

You have your beliefs.

Everyone else has their own beliefs

If their beliefs are the same as mine thats fine

If their beliefs are the same as yours thats fine as well.

I accept that some peoples minds are more open and accepting than others.

^^ standard response.

Why so reluctant to debate? Surely if you a secure in your beliefs then you can answer the obvious questions without worry?

I just find it interesting that, in order to 'believe' (in psychics, ghosts, God or whatever) one must be very careful not to question anything.

I am sorry if you think it is a standard response.

I just wrote what I felt like writing.

I am not reluctant to debate just not in the mood for being petty.

As in I suppose if I step over a puddle I shall be crossing water or if I go to the shop I shall be making a journey.

Believe me I question most things and again as I stated previously there are con men/women in most things but just because you think someone is conning you it doesn't mean everyone else is conning you.

As for believing in god who says I do in the standard world wide religions sense of the word.

I believe because I choose to believe after asking questions and observing how things happen.

One for the skeptics to pick the bones of:

Someone i know very well returned from travelling overseas and upon conversing with a local 'psychic' was told that the tattoo on his shoulder was nice.

No-one in the UK, and not many bar the tattoo artist, knew of the tattoo.

To use the cold reading argument; Chances of him getting a tattoo abroad, :? , chances of guessing the correct location of tat :? Lucky guess? I don't know, you decide.