What Music do you Mostly listen to???

DarkstarIII

What music do you mostly listen to??  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What music do you mostly listen to??

• METAL/ROCK/PUNK
    • INDIE/GRUNGE
    • COUNTRY AND WESTERN
    • 60's AND 70's
    • CLASSICAL/BLUES/JAZZ
    • FOLK/CELTIC/BLUEGRASS
    • GOTH/ INDUSTRIAL
    • POP

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't vote - that's too hard, I'll listen to whatever I feel to at the time. I don't think I've got a favourite genre because when my mood or situation changes I'll listen to something that fits.

I'm pretty much the same, but i do love the following artists and listen to them quite a bit!

Tool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-BKKx8vSA

Deftones - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1098678946764219224

Dave Clarke - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udnT3tcNBdA

Carl Cox - http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4686552412633834879&q=dave+clarke

:P :P :P

Ally, do you mean Willie Mason?

No, I meant Willy Nelson... he's a famous underground singer that only cool people know about... :oops:

Aye, Willie Mason. Excellent tune, although apparently the rest of the album is pretty average...

This is it here if anyone's intersted...

http://gristmill.grist.org/images/user/8/willy_mason_oxygen.mp3

• 1 month later...

So much music, so few hours in the day. You could probably listen to anything you like 24/7 and never run out.

- Used to listen to '60's and 70's' (in the 60's and 70's)

* * * * * (Beep, Beep, Aging Hippie Alert!) * * * * *

- Drifted into folk (knew some folkies)

- and jazz (Check out Miles Davis, the coolest of the cool, or Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues Singers)

- now (mostly) 'classical' - a word which seems to have come to mean almost anything from about the last 500-odd years, including some very sweet 20th century stuff.

Ultimate Respect: The Master, Johann Sebastian Bach:

Over 1000 pieces of celestial music and 20 children? Wow! 8O

(I'd double the classical vote if I could find the darn voting button. Who's the other one?)

'classical' - a word which seems to have come to mean almost anything from about the last 500-odd years

(I realise you know all this already DamnSaxon but, in the interests of elaborating on your point...)

Yes, despite the fact that, technically, 'Classical' is music from the period 1750 to approx 1820. The ending of the Classical and the beginning of the Romantic era overlap in various ways, but 1820 is a reasonable benchmark. (cf. Mozart, Haydn and early Beethoven).

Earlier than Classical, 1650-1750, and you have the Baroque era where we find Corelli and Bach, with their highly ornamented, contrapuntal and virtuosic music.

Beethoven turns up again in the Romantic era along with Wagner and other composers who were leaving behind the structurally simpler, diatonic approach of Classical music in favour of chromatic tonality, experimental structures, dynamic forces and large orchestras.

JS Bach was certainly a figure of incredible genuis, highly prolific and invaluable in shaping music as we understand it today. Although it must be pointed out there is evidence to suggest that his wives (particularly Anna Magdalena) were perhaps partly responsible, in no small part, not just for his children but also some of the pieces currently attributed to him. Certainly AM Bach was a composer in her own right, and may have composed portions of the Goldberg Variations.

One of my favourite Classical pieces is 'Sonata in D' by his son JC Bach. If I'm ever good enough on the piano to play this, I'll be very happy indeed.

Hi, Fjool, and thanks for the added erudition :D - hey, you're not the other 'one' in the poll, are you? Yeah, you've elucidated the very point I was making - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, all lumped together under one name. (But why does the poll lump it together with jazz'n'blues??)

Look at the stuff from the 20th century - ragtime, Gershwin, the Almost Unlistenable stuff like Stockhausen - nothing truly 'classical' about them. (Used to listen, or should I say "listen", to Stockhausen when I was at school, but it was mostly to wind up a very conservative music master!)

As for sweet stuff from the 20th, remember there was Gorecki's 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs' which became unusually popular a few years back? In a similar vein, I came across Schnittke's 'Choir Concerto' - for unaccompanied Russian choir. Mostly, it sounds like most of the Orthodox church music from the last 500 years, then you get one of those 'moderne' discords which makes the spine tingle. It's probably still the one disc I'd save of my 'Desert Island' discs, wonderful, spacey, meditative music. Leaves me hovering about three feet above my body.

I also happened across a thing called 'Come In!' by Vladimir Martynov, another 'ex-Iron Curtain' composer. Again, beautiful, drifting music, this time for 2 violins and string orchestra. A lot of the Russian composers seem to have written some very 'religious' music during those very irreligious times.

Alas, I'm not a player of anything myself, though have had many musician friends over the years. Perhaps the best way to work towards the JC Bach Sonata is to go through some of his dad's more educational pieces!

BTW, when I googled on Vladimir Martynov, I also got this curious little story:

http://lifeisbitch.com/?p=42

That should lower the tone of the conversation ... :lol:

hey, you're not the other 'one' in the poll, are you?

Nope. You may as well ask me which of my vital organs I need most.

Especially when the poll is grouped so strangely... o_O

'moderne' discords which makes the spine tingle

Heavens above! Speake thou of the tritone, Satan's own interval?

Or perhaps even the perfect fourth which heard as a dissonance to the rennaisance ear.

Today, of course, the perfect fourth is considered a consonance.

Since these times of course we have seen the advent of jazz, boogie-woogie, techno and such where the traditional ideas of dissonance and consonance begin to vanish in a cloud of experimentalism. :)

Heavens above! Speake thou of the tritone, Satan's own interval?

Or perhaps even the perfect fourth which heard as a dissonance to the rennaisance ear.

I speak of them all ... I keep my renaissance ear in form with Bach et al, then turn to the 'modernes' for a whole new thrill. Yeah, music is more vital than your average organ.

the traditional ideas of dissonance and consonance begin to vanish in a cloud of experimentalism. :)

Though not, apparently, the idea of rhythm, though living next door to a houseful of students I do sometimes wonder whether it should be quite so insistently mechanical :)

(Hope none of the 'technofreaks' are following this ... ) :roll:

Though not, apparently, the idea of rhythm

Naturally, rhythm being the primeval cornerstone of all music. Although I would suggest listening to the likes of 'mathcore' groups such as The Dillinger Escape Plan for an experimental and interesting approach to rhythm. :)

(Hope none of the 'technofreaks' are following this ... )

Although I'm quite partial to a spot of Techno myself ;)

Naturally, rhythm being the primeval cornerstone of all music.

Cornerstone, maybe, but with too many things it seems to be front and rear elevation as well, not to mention the rest of the building. I've still got an LP I've had for years of "Gaelic Psalms from Lewis". The singers keep time - and even vary it a bit here and there - but don't need a synth. drum machine to hammer it home!

Got fed up after about 15 minutes waiting for the Dillinger Escape Plan to download - maybe try again sometime when America is asleep :)