Shetland Weather - Bairns bairns dis awfoo wedder

Marjolein

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been hearing roomers that 2 fishing boats have broken adrift and gone ashore in baltasound due to the bad weather; does anyone know anything about this??? :?

Also heard just a short time ago that a Oil Rig Supply Boat “Far Scout†has broken down and drifting 2 miles East of Mousa!!! :shock:

Hope nothing more drastic happens, still a long winter to go yet!! :)

oh dear hurricane winds tommorrow

Hurricane??? not quite.

From Ertie's link...

David Robinson, Shetland Coastguard Watch Manager says: "Weather conditions have been very challenging for all vessels today with violent storm force winds, gusting to hurricane force with severe showers, thunder and lightning."

:shock:

Guest Anonymous

I think we've got the tail end of the storm here now. Just watched a pleepsie peerie TV reporter, on the local news, standing on Ã…lesund pier reporting the weather with an expression which was "WTF am I doing here".

They're calling it a storm here, and it may be about the worst I've seen here, but you could still light a fag without shielding the lighter with your hand. :lol:

oh dear hurricane winds tommorrow

Hurricane??? not quite.

From Ertie's link...

David Robinson, Shetland Coastguard Watch Manager says: "Weather conditions have been very challenging for all vessels today with violent storm force winds, gusting to hurricane force with severe showers, thunder and lightning."

:shock:

A hurricane is a large rotating storm centred around an area of very low pressure with strong winds blowing at an average speed in excess of 74 miles per hour. The whole storm system may be up to 10 miles high and on average 500 miles wide. It moves forward like an immense spinning top, at speeds up to 20mp.

Gusts do not equate a hurricane.

So Crofter was correct.