Shetland Weather - Bairns bairns dis awfoo wedder

Marjolein

I have e-mailed the BBC several times since they changed thier forecasts to the fancy new 3-D map and ditched the actual forecast in the process. The rain/cloud info on the new map is all very well but without the pressure and wind speed/direction info it's pretty much useless. The last explanation I got for the changes is below :

Thank you for your e-mail regarding BBC Weather

I appreciate you are disappointed with the BBC forecasts for your area as you feel these lack detail.

With our new forecasts we are actually providing more timely and accurate data than previously. We have developed a system with the Met Office than ensures far greater consistency of data - so we feel the service for everyone should be better and more reliable.

Our research showed that people were often confused by the amount of information within a forecast, in all areas and not specifically Scotland or Northern Ireland. We therefore aim to keep the information relevant and useful. However, for those that do require more detailed information our website gives this at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Nevertheless, let me assure you that your complaint has been fully registered on our daily audience log. This internal document will be made available to the BBC weather team and Senior BBC Management.

Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your comments will play a part in this process.

Once again thank you for taking the time to contact the BBC with your concerns.

Regards

Nuala Hyde

BBC Information

As you can see, we are all now considered too stupid to read a weather chart.

:evil:

I would like to suggest that, if we want our weather forecast to be restored to it's former usefulness, we all take 5 minutes to rattle off a quick e-mail to the beeb telling them how crap they are. After all, it's no more time than it takes to type one post to Shetlink and this might actually change something.

:twisted:

I am just a lone voice crying out in the wilderness, but if several hundred of us cry out at once... well, we've all seen those excellent animated ads for the trade union (I forget which) with the ants and the bear!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see, we are all now considered too stupid to read a weather chart.

:evil:

I would like to suggest that, if we want our weather forecast to be restored to it's former usefulness, we all take 5 minutes to rattle off a quick e-mail to the beeb telling them how crap they are. After all, it's no more time than it takes to type one post to Shetlink and this might actually change something.

:twisted:

I am just a lone voice crying out in the wilderness, but if several hundred of us cry out at once... well, we've all seen those excellent animated ads for the trade union (I forget which) with the ants and the bear!

It used to be a half decent forecast as well, when they offered some information about the strength and direction of the wind. The other night I noticed the forecaster warning people in N Ireland and the west of Scotland that "damaging gusts" could be expected. Unusually, they had bothered to include the wind symbols on the map - these indicated NW 27mph in the Irish Sea?! What is the email address to use for "suggestions"?

Good for you!

I appreciate every effort everyone makes to get Shetland actually put on the map in the real world.

I think the BBC just keep a single rain-drop for summer and double rain-drop for winter surgically implanted over Shetland.

At least we are not stuck in the Moray Firth, as is the norm! A change is as good as a rest, as they say.

Off to squish into my thong now as it says on one of my weather reports that it is going to be 90 degrees and sun, sun, sun! Or was that Lerwick, Egypt!

Fx

• 4 weeks later...

Me too. :(

If it was an ideal world, which it obviously isn't, Shetland should have it's seasons re-written i reckon. None of it follows the traditional descriptions anymore. I've mulled over this idea for a few years to no avail, until over the festive someone pointed out to me a possible solution. We need a fifth season. The run up to christmas is relatively warm, windy and wet and not at all 'wintery', nor is it autumn as that is when the leaves fall off at the end of summer. What we are getting now is more wintery, and the snow will come later, when spring should be starting. Then (hopefully) we'll get a summer like last year.

I'm just glad i'm not a bulb.

What think ye?

Guest Anonymous

i was visiting an old comrade from the hilss o gletsness. he is a man aquainted we da green arts an he was tellin me dat da buds were already comin thriugh on his tree's....... this has diturbed my mind , the planet is obviously heatin up far quicker dan wis expected. there for im going to mak fur frankie williamson sale tomorrow and deck me whole hoose oot we energy efficient light bulbs ... maybe then i will be able to get a nights sleep we a clear concious, also it will be the ideal way to complement the new toilet seat and the set of oven gloves that i got my wife for christmas.

Bairns, bairns. Winter is yet to come. I did a litle dig through my piccies and came up with this:-

25/02/2004

http://www.pooks.plus.com/stuff/snow25022004.JPG

14/03/2005

http://www.pooks.plus.com/stuff/snow14032005.JPG

22/03/2006

http://www.pooks.plus.com/stuff/snow22032006.JPG

Judging by this then we should be getting a good dollop of snow around April Fool's Day! :D

This time some Hamburg weather ... ;-)

The whole mass started at 1400hrs CET when still absolutely calm ...

now, 4 1/2 hrs later: da peerie storm has arrived :-)

storm 8 - 9 in gusts 10 and higher (rapidly increasing)

thunderstorms

heavy rain

visibility: below 80m (can't see the houses on the other side of the street)

only blue lights in the streets (firebrigade, police, technical assistance)

max expected tonight at 2400hrs CET ;-)

• 1 year later...