St. Clements Hall

JustMe

Now that the likes of Chris Hodge no longer use it St. Clements Hall is standing empty. Owned I believe by the council and needing some use before it starts to deteriorate. Ideas anyone?. My own see it as a venue for small acoustic concerts, as an intimate theatre or perhaps exhibition space.

As an alternative just pull it down and build housing on the site....tonights news said there were 600 people looking for council/hjaltland homes in Lerwick. Leaving the building empty should not be an option.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own see it as a venue for small acoustic concerts, as an intimate theatre or perhaps exhibition space.

Not a bad idea JustMe, maybe there is scope in Da Toon for some kind of "Arts Club", so long as people are prepared to volunteer to run it, as with all the small clubs.

Guest Anonymous
My own see it as a venue for small acoustic concerts, as an intimate theatre or perhaps exhibition space.

Not a bad idea JustMe, maybe there is scope in Da Toon for some kind of "Arts Club", so long as people are prepared to volunteer to run it, as with all the small clubs.

you know boys thats a dam good idea - turn it into some sort of arts venue - give it to the arts trust or someone to make a 'go' of what they see as a viable way forward - have weekly conserts of just shetland music and watch them fill the boats and come running form all over the world - well acording to some councilers this will hapen when we get the propper music venue.

If it works in st clems then think again at builing a propper mucic venue.

With the Garrison showing films more often and st clems doing the music etc. that would be a great way of saving 7 million and have hardly any running costs dumped on the Shetland public - quick someone tell the paper, hold the press.......

remember that the fort will be comming free when the TA goes TaTa

remember that the fort will be comming free when the TA goes TaTa

Now thats an idea that I've never come across *hmm canna believe I niver tought 'o it* - Buildings and surrounding ground with history and real Shetland connections, not some new fancy sprickly award winning "barrat home" that'll last 10 years before it needs to be leveled 'cos it was built out of match sticks!!

Imagine the Fort with those "sexy" purple lights shining up against the walls and into the air - it'll look braw - and could double up as a museum awa fae da museum as weel!!

One of the reasons why "they" (I don't understand who makes these decisions) refused planning for the potential "Ice Factory" venue near Hays dock was because we were all bound to get drunk and fall in the sea (I can't think of many pubs in Shetland that aren't a drunken stumble from the sea). And the Amenity trust ended up with that as their new HQ.

I believe one of the reasons that the Carnival dance at the Fort was stopped was because we were all bound to fall to our deaths over the walls, drunk. And the council's getting the Fort for their new HQ?

I'm glad to see that the decision makers have our safety in mind

Seems a good moment to remind you that Councillors are elected and that the electorate have the power to remove councillors that they do not think do a good job. With the new "wages" for councillors I think we have the right to expect them to do a dammed good job. A job of representing us....the voters who put them there.

Going back to halls etc. the use of the T.A. hall if the T.A. leaves Shetland will not be for the council to decide....that is up to Historic Scotland though the council would have some input as the planning authority. And I suspect that any attempt to turn St.Clements Hall into more council offices would be challenged at the planning stage.

Location of a new cinema/music venue. Prehaps on the bit of land at the north end of Clickimmin.....the bit that Lidl wanted for a discount store.

Guest Anonymous

i've been on the new music venue/cinema committe meetings and i tell you, nothing will get done becuase the "powers that be" dont want to.

We need a cinema more than a music venue, look at orkney!! they have both!, we could be more imaginative with the venues we do have - the north star could be totally gutted if purchased from Mr Hepburn, st Clements, well why the hell not? and 600 people requiring homes - are they homeless???????????

arggggggggggggggggggggh!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Shetland really can behave like a spoilt bairn sometimes - like the many leisure facilties, upgraded halls etc throughout the isles, I doubt whether we 'need' a cinema, however nice it would be to have one. Okay, so Orkney has one so does that mean we have to try to outdo them? And if, as we are led to believe by the pro-cinema lobby, its going to be such a roaring success and won't be a drain on public funds, why haven't any of our entrepreneurs seized the opportunity to set one up themselves?

After 25 years of riches we need to regain a sense of proportion, appreciate and make the best of the exceptional facilities we already have and apply some common sense in what we need and what we can afford to have. If we are going for a music venue then surely investigating converting the St Clements Hall (or any suitable existing building for that matter) along with an upgraded Garrison for films would be more than sufficient for what we 'need' and a lot cheaper too.