Coldplay are p*sh

Jerry_Dammers

It's a statement that shouldn't require any justification, but for the sake of encouraging debate/agreement, here goes....

Saw them supporting Bellatrix at the Attic in Edinburgh in November 1999. They were meant to be second on the bill but got themselves moved up to headliners. Hadn't heard them before I went along and like to think I'm open minded, but they performed one of the most dull, drab, boring, most monotonous sets I've ever had the misfortune to watch. In particular, the song, "Yellow", was described by a fellow attendee as being "beyond sh*te". By the end of the gig, BT had set up a speedial on the payphone at the venue for anyone in need of the Samaritans. Met up with a mate a couple of days later and in the course of conversation informed him that I'd seen this band called Coldplay who were utterly terrible and would never amount to anything.

Clearly, the last couple of years have shown me to be a musical Nostradamus in this respect. Guess my finger just isn't on the cultural pulse. Having said that, I've got great hopes for a new beat combo I've heard called Status Quo. I'm pretty sure they won't fall into the same trap...

Man, you have my sympathies. If you found them that odious in 1999, I can only imagine how you must feel after the half a decade of near constant exposure that you, as someone who lives in this country, will have had to put up with.

I've ranted about this a million times before, so I'll save you some of my bitter vitriol, but honestly! What is wrong with the British public? Why do people lap up this sentimental po-faced garbage? Grrr.

PS - Clocks had a nice little piano ditty, I'll give them that.

PPS - Ahhhh woooooooooooooooooooooo! Ahhhhh Woooooooooooo!