Introduce Yourself

Salmon

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh seen those hobie yaks on the web but not seen anyone with one in the UK.

I won't be bringing a yak with me as I sold it a while back due to ill health getting the better of me for a while (CFS/ME) but I'm hoping to hire a sea yak to get - in-law has already plans to bring his posh rockpool composite yak up and explore, he's got the shetland guide to, looks great 8)

Being to tight for a drysuit (more acurately skint) I just use a farmer john wet suit and dry cag, fine for summer down here. Neoprene waders, belt and dry cag for when it's colder, plus PFD of course.

:D

Guest Anonymous

Longdog,

Just a thought. That panorama pic might look even better if processed with something like Panorama Maker 3:

http://arcsoft-panorama-maker-3-shared-componen.software.informer.com/

Not sure if thats the right link, but I've been making amazing panos for several years with Pano 3, and it's free. There are better versions of the same arcsoft programs available now, at a price, but Pano 3 works for me. I've stitched together up to 16 pictures without being able to see the joins, so may be worth a try.

:D

Cheers for that advice, but I'm not a photographer so I doubt I'll get that package but I obviously know what you mean. Just thought I'd risk taking my point and press didg camera out on the yak.

Considering the panorama as taken from a bobbing and rocking yak I was amazed it worked at all :shock:

Makes where I live look like an island but it's not

Kev

Hi Sha,

Well I'll be mainly Daddy day care for our 2 year old, atleast initially. I've been unwell with CFS/ME for some time but I'm on the way up and I have a didgeridoo based schools, events and workshop business down here. Doubt there's much call for it up there, but I have been emailing schools and the arts council just in case I can add something to what's going on.

We're actually moving because my wife has got a job linked to the hospital in Lerwick and I'm happy to be a kept man :D

I'm hoping longer term to get some work either teaching or supporting the curriculum in schools in some way, I'm a qualified primary school teacher. Or even on conservation/environmental side as I have a past in countryside management and public rights of way.

Hope your holiday for Up Helly Aa is a good 'un, we're looking forward to the occassion.

Kev

@Longdog: Didgeridoo sounds very cool! Knew a couple of people who knew how to "play" (or whatever you say). It's incredibly hard!

And there is nothing bad about being a "kept man". I think there should be someone at home for the kids and it doesn't matter whether it;s the man or the woman, it should be the person who wants it and/or earns lass/has no job/whatever.

My husband is being a kept man at the moment as well as he is back at Uni. :D

If she is planning on bringing you one back tell her to be wary, there is an absolute load of ^£$^^** over there to sell to tourists that will never play well unless you're very lucky. I was in Melbourne a few years back and they were everywhere but not a single one I would buy. A mate of mine there trades directly with clans in Arnehmland and he had some right stories to tell of aboriginal sweat shops producing art and didges for the tourist market.

Just in case you think it's a real possibility here's some rough pointers:

The mouth piece wants to be no more than 30mm internal diameter (preferably the diameter of the actual wood bore not the 2lb of wax they stick on them) and preferably the stick wants to be that for a while down before it starts to widen.

The far end (bell :oops: ) wants to be anything between say 60mm and 120mm internal diameter.

I'd go for plain wood too, no art work to hide filled cracks, and she'd be paying for art work that is highly unlikely to be traditional art work. Dot art didn't exist as an art form until around the 30's and originates from the central desert areas where they don't traditionally play didge.

And if she does bring you one back you know who to come to for a lesson :wink:

Kev