Introduce Yourself

Salmon

Welcome Michael,

I wish you lot up North would stop murdering Whales.

I never knew they played rugby in Faroe. Anyway, you are mistaken - as the results show, Whales won:

Ireland 21 - 23 Whales

Whales 27 - 13 Scotland

England 12 - 19 Whales

Whales 24 - 3 Italy

Whales 16 - 9 France

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest posiedon
crofter

Ireland 21 - 23 Whales (sic)

Whales 27 - 13 Scotland (sic)

England 12 - 19 Whales (sic)

Whales 24 - 3 Italy (sic)

Whales 16 - 9 France (sic)

Tosser.
Anankena

I don't expect Michael will be posting any more messages on Shetlink.

I know if I was him I certainly bloody wouldn't.

This is one of those occasions I feel ashamed to be a Shetlink member.

Sorry Michael.

You need to grow a thicker skin. :)

No worries mate...it would be boring if all people would agree on everything.

Thanks for the warm welcome...that goes for you too Posiedon :)

Here in the faroes, we have killed pilot whale in a millennium (data from the hunts are available from 1584 till now) with an annual average of 850 since the year 1707 if I remember correctly, this shows that the pilot whale hunting in the faroes is probably sustainable.

We do not kill pilot whales because it is a tradition or because we like to kill whales...we're simply harvesting the bounty.

When you've chosen to eat meat, it means that something needs to be killed. And as we all know - the wrapped-up-in-plastic chicken-sandwich or ham-sandwich do not grow on trees.

I assumed that everyone in Shetland were already connected to the Shefa-2 cable Ghostrider ... I Suggest you call the Faroe Telecom and say: "Either you hook us up to the cable or we throw it into the see!"

Góðan kvøld Kavi Ugl...nei nei tað er Michael, men abbi mín eitur Mikkjal, tað er honum eg eri uppkallaður eftir :)

(Good evening Kavi Ugl...no no it is Michael, but my grandfather's name was Mikkjal, it's him I was named after)

@Anakena: I'll be back! (said with "Arnold Schwarzenegger dialect")

^^^^^^^^^^^

Headhunting and eating the brains of huumans was also sustainable - (even into the 20th century in Europe) but that dosen't make it right because like the grind it inflicts unnecessary cruelty.

Hi GT :)

Perhaps we should take this discussion in another thread huh!

Hi Michael, ok, so it is Michael and I am pleased to say I understood your Faroese, but it's maybe good to also have a translation!. Eg snakke eitt ella tví Føroyskt orð :cry:

Most normal Shetlanders support the grind and understand it.

But as I know there is also so, so much more to Faroe.

:)

Ahahaha!, I think (the) posiedon just got sunk......whales/wales!.

:lol:

:

The same number of Shetlanders support the grind as support the battering of seals to death with clubs or drowning seals in salmon farmer's traps.

The same number of Shetlanders support the grind as support the trapping and shooting of otters.

The same number of Shetlanders support the grind as support the snaring and killing of puffins and gannets.

That number is practically zero

Well in that case I'll be happy to be classed as 'abnormal.'

I must've been away when you did your survey of all Shetlanders, any chance you could run it again?

I'm not sure I'm happy with the idea of you being the Voice of Shetland, Kavi.

crofter

Ireland 21 - 23 Whales (sic)

Whales 27 - 13 Scotland (sic)

England 12 - 19 Whales (sic)

Whales 24 - 3 Italy (sic)

Whales 16 - 9 France (sic)

Tosser.

I am surprised at you posiedon. Somebody with your grasp of grammar must surely realise that the use of the verb "murder" is completely inappropriate to describe the lawful slaughter of pilot whales. Together with the fact that you used a capital letter at the beginning of the word "Whales" I deduced that you must be referring to the country Whales and the slang definition of "murder" used in sports - "To defeat decisively; trounce."

My mistake, but please be more careful in future, it is very distressing to see our wonderful language used incorrectly.

• 5 years later...

Hi to All 

I don't live on Shetland. And from England (in peace)!

Though, joined as always admired Shetland. Looks a lovely place and looking to visit in 2018 (and maybe a few more times in the future).  If you want to know a place ask the locals. 

I have to say you look like you have a great community there.

Cheers many thanks. Years ago I did Scotland coastal road trip starting at Glencoe and then hugging the West coast then east coast all around to Aberdeen, then ferry to Shetland. 

However, it took a while and by the time got to Aberdeen. All my holiday pot had vanished, had to leave Shetland for another sole trip!   

Edited by nesty

Personally. I believe if anyone visits and changes from a  "Visiting Scotland" to a "Visiting Nordic" perspective, they will find Shetland is a far more interesting place, especially as you travel the Islands off Mainland. Shetland is a land and a people born of the Sea.

Cheers many thanks. Years ago I did Scotland coastal road trip starting at Glencoe and then hugging the West coast then east coast all around to Aberdeen, then ferry to Shetland. 

However, it took a while and by the time got to Aberdeen. All my holiday pot had vanished, had to leave Shetland for another sole trip!   

As well as Shetland. The other one on the bucket list is Tromso, Norway for the northern lights.

I do like the Scandinavian countries. I went to the UEFA European Championships in Sweden in 1992. Though it was highly expensive even back then!