Introduce Yourself

Salmon

Thank you very much Njugle. Have been having a nosey through a thread on here about moving to Shetland...interesting :lol:

Yeah i graduate next year and my hubby is a bus driver, so as long as we can secure jobs then we are looking for a move. My hubby worked in Shetland (and Orkney) for a few years and loved it. We have two wee boys and he says its the best place to raise them.

One question though - whats wrong with Mossbank? After reading about it on the above names thread i have goggled it, seems okay.

Thanks for the lovely welcome. xxx

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hmmm De Ja Vu......

Hi my name is .......

Currently living near Preston..

All may family bar 4 live on the Isles mostly in and around Lerwick (tho there are some odd ones that dont)

I visit often, mainly to see my Dad who is not too good in his auld age...

Some of you may think or say, Shetlandpeat? I have seen that good fellow before, yep still the same effervesant self, due to a tech problem, I am sure other folk could explain better than myself, I am starting again (ppsst I hope I wasn't naughty :P )

... Shetlandpeat? I have seen that good fellow before, yep still the same effervesant self, due to a tech problem, I am sure other folk could explain better than myself, I am starting again (ppsst I hope I wasn't naughty :P )

Well I would indeed be interested to know what is going on here. All your old posts have disapeared and then woof you are back. What kind of tech problem could cause that?

This kind of instant removal of masses of old messages really does destroy the whole point of archiving the threads. With half a conversation gone (sometimes more) it makes what sense remains wrong. It used to be considered good Netiquette to refrain from quoting more of a posting than needed (something I always try to follow). It seems to me that it is now safer, in the long term, to quote entire messages. That ensures that context remains intact.

There was a tech problem. It wasn't his doing or even something he was aware of. In the database he became a null value. That is why all his posts disappeared. The Shetlink giveth and the Shetlink taketh away and ours is not to reason why, ours is but to post or... erm, lurk.

In the database he became a null value. That is why all his posts disappeared.

:shock:

So this could happen again, at any time, to anyone?

Is this not perhaps a case where the lost material should be recovered from your backups? I'm presuming you do have backups.

Welcome back shetlandpeat - and open apologies this time for the disrepancy in the maintenance of this site! This has been in no way a reflection on yourself and your contributions to Shetlink. Please accept our absolute apology shetlandpeat for any distress and nuisance this may have caused. Thank you for re-joining and I hope your stay here is a pleasant one in the future.

Well I would indeed be interested to know what is going on here. All your old posts have disapeared and then woof you are back. What kind of tech problem could cause that?

Due to a mass of automated spam yesterday a deletion routine was run to remove entire swaiths of threads and users. Unfortunately shetlandpeat was caught up in this. With post indexing reordered in this routine we cannot attempt to reinject recent backups into the database as this will overwrite any newly reordered posts overwriting them. All old posts are indexed and saved in google's cache.

This incident has highlighted areas for improvement in our maintenance routines - which have been implemented and tested on a test system. Routines that have up until now been successful. Shetlink is confident this incident will not be repeated.

due to a tech problem

I am starting again (ppsst I hope I wasn't naughty)

So which is it, tech problem or personal choice?

Just from the horses mouth so to speak....

Starting again = 0 posts and join as a new member, not one of the originals, I dont think there is a plot of any sort..

Not from the PM's I have received......

I did also get an e-mail explaining what had happened from Admin.

So, matter seems to be rested now and thanx for the attention...

• 2 months later...

Hi

Having been looking around and enjoying the Shetlink site for a few days now, I have just found where to introduce myself!

I am female, married with a family, and enjoy reading, films (particularly black and white), walking, and the countryside and coast, and many different types of music.

I do have a tendency to act as devil's advocate in discussions, and hope that doesn't annoy too many people in my posts!

I have loved my visits to Shetland, and am thinking of moving there, however my last move took fifteen years of thinking and was then done on a whim with no planning whatsover, so it may be some time yet...

Look forward to spending time on the forum in future.

Best wishes