Loganair Luggage Charges

Hollian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably get slapped around by Loganair for saying this. Having worked at the airport for quite a few years now, and still working there, I honestly can't see what Loganairs' problem is. Yes, we do get flights where we get an horrendous amount of baggage to fit in the hold but these mostly occur at the start & end of the holidays, Up-Helly-Aa & other occasions. 99.99% of the time all the bags get loaded with no problem. If by chance there are bags left behind (yup, I have had it done) they get shipped away on the next available flight whereupon they are delivered to the owner at the other end.

The size of the bag only really matters at these times. A 32kg suitcase can take up less room than a 15kg bag.

Now the runway has been extended there are very very few payload problems.

If Loganair want to solve problems then Loganair should put the planes with the larger holds on the northern isles routes. Yes, there are different size holds on the planes. This is where the problems arise.

Sorry if I waffled on a bit.

I am sure that part of the problem is the type of aircraft being used on the route. They are just too small. You can't get much into the overhead locker, and the lockers are only on one side, there are none over the port side (single) seat. The best aircraft ever used on the route was the Viscount.

Not so long ago there were the dutch crewed Fokker 50's. I went up to a captain one day & said that there was a lot of baggage to go on. There was also 48 people to get on. I enquired what sort of payload he could offer & his reply was "If you can get all the bags in then there's no problem".

Bring back the Fokker 50's.

Not so long ago there were the dutch crewed Fokker 50's. I went up to a captain one day & said that there was a lot of baggage to go on. There was also 48 people to get on. I enquired what sort of payload he could offer & his reply was "If you can get all the bags in then there's no problem".

Bring back the Fokker 50's.

Don't remember any Fokkers but whoever is running the Shetland air service seems to opt for the wrong aircraft. ATPs when the DHC Dash7 or 8 would have been better and now the Saab 340 which is a nice little plane but surely the Bae 146 would provide a far better service.

Interesting to see that British Airways are selling off BA Connect. Is this the penultimate step before they pull out of Scotland completely or other than Glasgow and Edinburgh?. And would it be to our benefit if they did?.

I think it's a joke especially when you have to pay through the nose to use their "service". :evil:

I just worry what they are going to do when the green taxes come in, being a bit of a pessismist when it comes to larger corporations, I can see people in the isles having to shoulder more of the burden financially than those using the London routes.

One of the problems is that being at the end of the world, with a miniscule population we only get the cast off planes.

The ATP as the Dash 7 are obselete. Fokker is bankrupt have not made aircraft for years and spares are drying up. The 146 is a very old lady and most airlines are trying to get rid of them- definitely not green the way it burns fuel and spews out pollution. The future is probably in a fuel efficient turbo prop with about 50 seats ..... The DASH 8 is nearly old enough for us to get though- wonder if they are still making spares? The fact is if all the money wasted on the airports at Sumburgh, Tingwall, Scatsta and Unst in the last thirty years had been ploughed into one place, we might have had a decent runway to take the one decent sized jet per day that would have been sufficient. But while people such as our electees continued to in-fight and spout rubbish then we missed the bo..plane.

as for our northern and southern aviation experts.

Experts my ar**!

If they allow people travelling onward with BA more luggage allowance but possibly not people travelling with other airlines is there an anticompetitive or restrictive practices argument in the making.

Best service when there were two carriers on the run, there was competition and these sorts of problems did not appear.

As to Aircraft types I am no expert but I was a (very small ) shareholder in British regional airlines which used to hold the BA franchise. Just before BA bought them out they were moving rapidly towards operating small Embraer jets on their routes and had options on several of these very popular planes(perhaps a contributing reason to the BA buyout). However these aircraft have runway requirements which I think are still in excess of what an extended Sumburgh has.

I did a little background study at the time and it seems a world wide move is taking place towards smaller aircraft making higher frequencies of journeys, this offers passengers more choice and seems to be able to offer airlines higher load factors, and overall sems in the main to boost overall traffic on a route. It does however mean having to 'put up" with the more restricted cabin environment of smaller aircraft, although I personally like the 340 (and I aint no skinny melinky) it does offer practical restrictions on the amount of carry on baggage but overall the baggage problems are a red herring - just charge excess baggage charges as have been around for years? or not if there was competition which is the hub of the problem.

PS Calling Drew Ratter what happened ta dye Airline boy!

• 2 weeks later...