Violence at the cross

Ally

Do the police do enough to tackle the thugs that think they can get away with anything?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do the police do enough to tackle the thugs that think they can get away with anything?

• No
    • Yes

Is still on the go? I remember a few years back drunk folk were getting mugged at cash points by a certain person and his pack of druggy pals on a regular basis. Have the police finally caught up with them, or are they still up in court for yet more "reports" into their background?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Is still on the go? I remember a few years back drunk folk were getting mugged at cash points by a certain person and his pack of druggy pals on a regular basis. Have the police finally caught up with them, or are they still up in court for yet more "reports" into their background?

why do the police have to pick up the bad all the time, its the shetland people that give birth to this yobs - they all have a mam and a dad - whare are they at 2 am in the morning?

how did they breed children that behave like that in the first place.

i think parenting children is no easy job but i do think that when i was younger we would not dare do what the younger ones do now, well we were not out at that times to start!

i know the actual names of the men that were going the above, i also knew them at children. When they displayed bad behaviour as a child the parents would not beleive that their wee 'jonnie' would do that and never punish or take on what people would say ther children were like outside ther view. this is the start of training the child that i can do what i want and mum will beleive me - ok when ur 9 but what about 19?

Guest Anonymous
Oh yes, of course, the old "I blame the parents" routine.

Are you a Sun reader by any chance?

no i was youth leader that used to be on the front line with the ones we are talking about - i remember exactly havign to chuck them out of the club and phoning the parents to inform then and getting no soport from then - in fact they were just as bad

Guest Anonymous

i was youth worker too in the late 80s and one time a young lass about 15 ish came to the club apsalutly drunk as a skunk, we in reflection should have phoned 999 but we tryed to get hold of the parents. After a search we found them in the legion, we got hold of the mother who then ripped us to peices for her lass being in that state and for her having to give up her night drinking to have to go home to look after. From then on we as a staff refused to contact parents on drinking grounds.

It turned out the lass told her parents they were going to the youth club but actualy went to the street and got blathered! we got the blame from the parents....

Guest Anonymous

I think it's fairly reactionary to blame the parents outright. However, while sit around discussing the relative merits of the nature/nurture argument all we want there are well-known youths in Lerwick who have been up in court for GBH, Assault, Drunken disorderly ect, who are still making other peoples lives a misery and getting away with it.

I genuinely believe that upbringing can be no excuse for thinking its acceptable (drunk or otherwise) to smash a glass bottle into another persons face, or to assemble like pack animals around a passer-by that’s been knocked to the ground and proceed to kick them repeatedly in the head.

I now live in Edinburgh and can honestly say that I feel safer walking down Lothian Road on a Saturday night than I did for a while walking through the cross late on.

Yes, there are certainly more yobs in Edinburgh, but the difference is that if you get into some trouble with a wee ned you can usually handle yourself with out the worry of them tracking you down the next weekend with a pack of their scrawny hyena-like cohorts, all operating with apparent legal impunity.

I think it's fairly reactionary to blame the parents outright. However, while sit around discussing the relative merits of the nature/nurture argument all we want there are well-known youths in Lerwick who have been up in court for GBH, Assault, Drunken disorderly ect, who are still making other peoples lives a misery and getting away with it.

I genuinely believe that upbringing can be no excuse for thinking its acceptable (drunk or otherwise) to smash a glass bottle into another persons face, or to assemble like pack animals around a passer-by that’s been knocked to the ground and proceed to kick them repeatedly in the head.

I now live in Edinburgh and can honestly say that I feel safer walking down Lothian Road on a Saturday night than I did for a while walking through the cross late on.

Yes, there are certainly more yobs in Edinburgh, but the difference is that if you get into some trouble with a wee ned you can usually handle yourself with out the worry of them tracking you down the next weekend with a pack of their scrawny hyena-like cohorts, all operating with apparent legal impunity.

This was me, by the way. Thought I was logged in and only realised i wasn't when i couldn't edit the post to correct the typo. :oops:

The difference in Edinburgh is that if you get into trouble with anyone - they don't think twice before pullling out a 'jib' and using it!

Actually that's completely untrue, but as a Shetlander (who now lives in Edinburgh) I can remember the inherent fear of visiting big cities, so i can't blame you for assuming that things are worse down here.

However, if you ask the majority of students about they're experiences away then I suspect they'll tell you that they felt pretty safe in their chosen cities. Likewise folk who've moved south for work or just for a change of scenery.

Anyway, let's not turn this into an Edinburgh Vs Lerwick thing - I love both equally.

Guest Anonymous

Most of the trouble makers here are no threat on their own and as you say can easy be handled by most folk. You are right that after that you have to watch your back the whole time.

They cant do anything unless in a gang, they can never have a fair one on one fight. its allways a few against one. In most cases trying to get the person to the ground then put the boot in the head. I think its amazing someone has not died yet.

The police know who they all are but in a lot of cases cant do anything about them.

Its a disgrace that the guy who whacked the guy on the head and put him in hospital got away with it. I am sure the p[olice knew who it was but as no witnesses and the person haveing someone lieing for an alabi there was nothing they could do.

The police actully said to a friend of mine who complained about an assualt by a known trouble maker that he and his friends should get the guy alone and give him a good kicking! Thats how exaspirated I think they were with the whole situation!

What I was attempting to point out was a comparison between the people being discussed earlier in this thread - those same people if found, in the central belt for instance, wouldn't think twice before pulling a 'jib' on you!

Aye, maybe - but then i'd have no cause to encounter the same people down here. That's my point: certain people become notorious in lerwick because of they're reputation as psychos. In Edinburgh / glasgow they'd be (and at least one was) small fry with no noteriety whatsoever.

We all know who they are and you will see them on a Saturday night out in Lerwick. Get on the wrong side of them and you're in for a rough time which can last until they find another poor bar steward to hassle.

no i was youth leader that used to be on the front line with the ones we are talking about - i remember exactly havign to chuck them out of the club and phoning the parents to inform then and getting no soport from then - in fact they were just as bad

I admire you for having the guts to work as a youth leader, and I'm sure you've had some bad experiences with parents, but I believe "blaming the parents" is an unhelpful, knee-jerk reaction.

It just isn't that simple. There are so many factors involved. Children learn much of their behaviour from their parents, but the parents were children once and they in turn learned that behaviour, which makes it a much more complex issue and implicates the whole of society. There are exterior factors like social welfare, economics and media as well.

This is a massively complicated problem that provides a career's worth of study for many psychologists. I have little hope of understanding it, never mind coming up with workable solutions.

I admire you for having the guts to work as a youth leader, and I'm sure you've had some bad experiences with parents, but I believe "blaming the parents" is an unhelpful, knee-jerk reaction.

It just isn't that simple. There are so many factors involved. Children learn much of their behaviour from their parents, but the parents were children once and they in turn learned that behaviour, which makes it a much more complex issue and implicates the whole of society. There are exterior factors like social welfare, economics and media as well.

This is a massively complicated problem that provides a career's worth of study for many psychologists. I have little hope of understanding it, never mind coming up with workable solutions.

So nobody's reponsible for anything ever. Marvellous.

In my experience, people generally need a good kick up the ass more often than they need counselling.

Why not ASBOs?. Get trouble makers of the streets at night and give the police powers to arrest those breaking an ASBO before they make more trouble.

Other side of the coin is the courts and punishment. In my view there are too many young offenders getting some form of punishment when perhaps some form of help to reform the offender would be good for the offender and the community.....and probably cost less than locking them up.