Violence at the cross

Ally

Do the police do enough to tackle the thugs that think they can get away with anything?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do the police do enough to tackle the thugs that think they can get away with anything?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd sort of story. This was a plane that took off from the local airport, scarcely climbed so that it was at window level in my school.....a teacher yelped at that point.....and it went on to crash land on the roof of a house. Looking for that as I am doing a little life history of me for some long lost relatives. Nothing to do with shetland.

(oops, sorry for length) From earlier in this thread, i don't agree with the idea of banning folk fae the cross, the problem would just migrate to other areas.

Although i haven't been about in the toon for a while now, the same 'characters' have been ever present in causing trouble fae i started drinkin about the toon. I have been in more than my fair share of scrapes and can confirm that it doesn't stop at one encounter whatever the outcome, basically its an extension of bullying and as at school, punishment is far too lenient, often being a source of amusement among the thugs, 'cool' even.

I agree that more support is needed to 'educate' they folk but when you're dealing with folk who just don't care, tougher punishment is required, perhaps from an earlier age. I'm sure it is difficult to apply national policies to small communities, but this is where we should get a bit creative in dealing with the anti-social element, folk need to be seen to be punished and be ridiculed for it to at least make them think twice afore doing something totally out of order and being sent down for it, causing further resentment and further problems.

.... folk need to be seen to be punished and be ridiculed for it to at least make them think twice afore doing something totally out of order and being sent down for it, causing further resentment and further problems.

My sentiment exactly.

Local solution to a local problem too.

.... folk need to be seen to be punished and be ridiculed for it to at least make them think twice afore doing something totally out of order and being sent down for it, causing further resentment and further problems.

My sentiment exactly.

Local solution to a local problem too.

I totally agree.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i am in full agreement with pert, he,s hit the nail on the head. you can drivel on with all your psycho- babble nonsense as much as you want. whats missing in this generation is good old fashioned discipline. I had many a hiding,slap,makin belt and occasionally the metal hoover extension and i thank them now for instilling in me a deep rooted sense of right and wrong. I am not saying all kids should take a beating now & then , in fact the majority that have been raised the right way don't need one at all, and of course in any species you will get individual that are just plain wrong, murderers etc. But these hoodlums terrorizing the town fall between these ends of the spectrum . of course the problem is that they are now young adults which makes the problem one of re-education .

now I know for a fact that sendin them to jail in its current form is no use at all in fact it has put many a young shetlander on an even greater downward spiral. Here are a few facts.

1.)they get introduced to hard drugs, mainly heroin( it is a sound argument that the current heroin epidemidemic in the isles started when small time sellers of cannibis were given jail terms and introduced to hard drugs.

2.)they are introduced to veteran criminals.( essentially prison halls could be likened to finishing schools where crooks exchange information and learn from each other and their mistakes.

3.returning to a small community like shetland from ajail sentence is a considerable black mark and employment chances are greatly reduced.

4.) half of these berks regard having been to jail as some sort of status symbol and see themselves as farther up the pecking order when thet return!

Back to what I think should be done with them.

1.) some serious hard graft for starters . theyre is nothing like it to help build someone,s sense of respect, for themselves and others around them, peat casting , ditch digging, even better the council should send them of in a seine netter ,rigged the old way and make them land there catch to feed the shools,hospitals and old folks homes. a lot of these punks have never done a days work in there lives.

2.) some of the worse repeat offenders should receive physical punishment and public humiliation

of course its likely no going to happen and the trouble is the bloody neds know it!

At least you are not advocating prison as a solution, but you must tackle the problem at its root. How many of these hoodlums are from middle class backgrounds? Not many I would wager. Inequality is the biggest single cause of this sort of behaviour, so in the long-term tackling it would be the best thing you could do.

Guest Anonymous

inequality? were not in south africa here or some south american ghetto, I know plenty of very good folk who grew up on the bread line and if you went back a generation or two the vast majority were poor and i mean really poor compared to todays standards , yes a lot of these kids families are not are not extremely wealthy niether were mine, but none of them are going hungry, and i bet for a fact all there households have tv's, playstations,dvd etc etc we have an excellent infrastructure of swimming pools, sportscentres etc at extremely affordable prices even for dole bums. it is simply a breakdown in disipline and a failure on the people who rear them to instill a sense of right and wrong.

Ok two things. Anyone causing trouble at the cross could be given an ASBO. AntiSocial Behaviour Order which could ban them from the cross or from licenced premises or whatever the court saw fit.

Other thing is that we as a nation need to spend less on keeping people in prison and more on rehabilitation. As previous messages show prison does not work and quite likely makes offenders worse. Constructive solutions such as the "brat camps" as shown on tv do seem to do more good as does one to one "mentoring".

Now could running "brat camps" be something that could help revive Unst.

the worst about up here is anything that may be a personal thing between you and one other person soon ends up beign your mates agaisnt his mate.. over something that more than likely wasnt even worth fighting over in the first place.