Council Election Year 2022

wbshetland1

The Councillors are no longer the problem (or otherwise) they have been turned in to largely irrelevant figure heads, whose sole remaining purpose is to rubber stamp decisions already taken by others elsewhere to give them a faux sense of legitimacy and pay lip service to 'democracy'.

We are being run in all but name by Holyrood, via their hordes of sycophantic minions in the SIC upper management roles.

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2022 at 13:42, BigMouth said:

It sounds like you may be undecided then Ghosty!

That's a fair assessment for the most part I think, and the few things I have decided upon about the Council would have a high probability of getting me arrested if I should ever choose to act upon them, so probably best they stay in their box for the foreseeable at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody remind me why we're having this election, its looking very much like deja vu of the last election, aka rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

We lost a few of the rotten apples, but not enough, but we also lost a few of the more sensible, we gained a few who we'd be better off without, and a few reasonably okay, but nowhere near enough.

This looks like being exactly the same, even at this stage, the unopposeds have seen to that, and even where an election is scheduled, its slim pickins in some wards.

I would have stood, but the SIC wouldn't have me, and the rest of the population probably couldn't stomach me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

Can somebody remind me why we're having this election, its looking very much like deja vu of the last election, aka rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

We lost a few of the rotten apples, but not enough, but we also lost a few of the more sensible, we gained a few who we'd be better off without, and a few reasonably okay, but nowhere near enough.

This looks like being exactly the same, even at this stage, the unopposeds have seen to that, and even where an election is scheduled, its slim pickins in some wards.

I would have stood, but the SIC wouldn't have me, and the rest of the population probably couldn't stomach me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not sure I really understand your points.  We've lost the Political Leader of 10 years (experience), the Convener of 10 years, the Chair of Development of 15 years, the Chair of Education & Families of 10 years, the ex Chair of Planning 10 years.

We've only lost 1 member who was elected in 2019, and 1 from 2017.

The unopposed haven't seen to anything, what could they have done?

It wouldn't have been up to the SIC to 'have you', if the electorate vote you in, you get voted in.

Nothing like deja vu, in fact we're probably going to see the biggest overhaul of the main positions in a generation.

^ Unfortunately 'experience' in and of itself is worthless, the PUSA is one of the most 'experienced' politicians in that country, and look at it.......

'Experience' only acquires value when it is viewed in conjunction with something tangible such as a track record, and in that light most of the outgoing leadership is best gone.  The previous political leader got turfed out on his ass at the last one, so while in terms of bums on seats we may be getting rid of more this time, in terms of influence and control its no different than last time, given the previous political leader's dominating, domineering and near dictatorial style of operating.

On the contrary, some of the unopposed very much have seen to many things, there are existing Councillors being returned unopposed on that list, one of whom at least I wouldn't trust to tie their own shoelaces. Of the newbies getting in unopposed, again, based on their own public contributions over some decades, there's at least one I wouldn't get anywhere near with a freshly disinfected 40ft bargepole....

Likewise, it is very much a case that the SIC would not have me. There are certain criteria which has to be adhered to for nominees to be eligible to stand for election, due to an extremely long running and apparently unresolvable dispute between myself and the SIC I do not meet that eligibility criteria, so old Jan-Robert would immediately bin any nomination papers bearing my name. BTW, that paragraph was intended as an attempt at flippant self-deprecating humour, which obviously failed.

My point(s)? Last time, one way or another a slew of Councillors went across the board, and were replaced with perhaps new faces, but nothing else new. Still a dominating, domineering borderline dictatorial leadership, still a large mostly silent majority, and too few voices of dissent (reason?) to force debate or stimulate discussion. This time has all the appearances of being exactly the same, those with 'experience' seeking re-election and who have shown any aspirations up to now of 'leadership' interest, are all very well versed in the 'dominating, domineering and near dictatorial' mould. The 'known unknowns' among the potential new faces do not readily inspire confidence in anything changing, and the few 'unknown unknowns', even if they are all elected and they all turn out to be the most vociferous opponents of what will almost certainly be another dominant, domineering and borderline dictatorial Holyrood puppet leaderships. it won't be enough to stop their railroading.

There is a very definite sense of we're doing exactly the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome with Council elections.....

A sense that is greatly reinforced, when you discover that you broadly agree with someone who you've always found yourself at the polar opposite end of the political ideology with previously.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2022/03/31/i-shall-not-bother-voting/

• 4 weeks later...

An anidder thing.

police say it’s vandalism to destroy political party notices posted on local lampposts.

Do you think it is vandalism?

Can anybody just stick an advertisement placard or sign on a lamppost?

Do you think Bill Posters should be prosecuted.? Or is he innocent.