Council Election Year 2022

wbshetland1

4 hours ago, Rasmie said:

An anidder thing.

police say it’s vandalism to destroy political party notices posted on local lampposts.

Do you think it is vandalism?

Legally, I think it has to be vandalism. If people were allowed to damage property left out in public, it would be legal to slash the tyres of a car parked in the street.

8 hours ago, Rasmie said:

An anidder thing.

police say it’s vandalism to destroy political party notices posted on local lampposts.

Do you think it is vandalism?

I think that the Scottish Parliament has a little more to say about it, and a little louder, than the polis.

Public property belongs to everybody, regardless of political or other persuasion, or none. It shouldn't be hijacked to give any individual or group any kind of 'advantage' over any other, so IMHO tearing down electioneering material from lamp-posts is no more, or less vandalism than putting them there in the first place.

If somebody wants to advertise whatever, let them buy space in the local media or come to whatever arrangement with business owner(s) in their desired catchment area to display it. That's where you expect to meet such things, not be assaulted by them randomly when you're minding your own business doing your own thing on public property.

A note to those who believe in sticking, especially election notices on lamp-posts etc, have you ever tried to quantify if doing so actually achieve a net gain in the end? While it may draw the attention of some to whatever it is you're promoting, there are also folk who might have been prepared to give you a fair hearing, who through the normal run of things have had your poster/whatever shoved in their face, daily, or maybe multiple ties daily, have gotten so fed up and tired of seeing it and/or have developed a feeling that they're being ordered/dictated to that they've long since said 'F**k 'em', sick of 'em.

^ Lamp-posts aren't there for folk to attach bicycles to. Besides, what's being discussed here doesn't involve theft, there's been no suggestion so far the electioneering material is being removed from the site, only moved at the site, during which it usually sustains damage.

1 hour ago, Ghostrider said:

^ Lamp-posts aren't there for folk to attach bicycles to. Besides, what's being discussed here doesn't involve theft, there's been no suggestion so far the electioneering material is being removed from the site, only moved at the site, during which it usually sustains damage.

OK, would you agree that if someone damages a bicycle chained to a lamppost, then that's vandalism? 

^ We're going in circles here.......

Attaching a bicycle to a lamp-post is vandalism, damaging a bicycle, whether it is attached to a lamp-post with a chain, or not, is vandalism. Just the same as attaching electioneering material to a lamp-post, or damaging electioneering material already attached to a lamp-post are both vandalism.

The thing is, I don't believe attaching a bicycle to a lamppost is vandalism, and long as the lamppost isn't damaged during the process of attaching the bicycle to it. Are you able to point me at any cases where someone has been prosecuted for vandalism after locking their bike to a lamppost? 

^ In your opinion attaching a bicycle to a lamp-post isn't vandalism. In my opinion it is vandalism. We disagree as we hold polar opposite opinions. You point?

Whether or not anyone has, or hasn't be prosecuted for vandalism for attaching a bicycle to a lamp-post is irrelevant. Prosecutions only follow where something can be proven beyond reasonable doubt to have occurred that is specifically legislated against. The applicable legislation only defines what the meaning of the terminology is in the context of what is is prohibited under the statute, it does not specify an all encompassing definition of any given term.

Just because an act is not specifically prohibited under statute as 'vandalism' doesn't necessarily prevent it from being defined as 'vandalism' (albeit vandalism folk just have to live with with ill grace as the state does not permit them to seek redress), any more than an act specifically prohibited by statute as 'vandalism' is necessarily vandalism (its just something folk have to live with with ill grace, as having made their minds up the powers that be don't give the first flying fig for any other opinion).

29 minutes ago, Ghostrider said:

^ In your opinion attaching a bicycle to a lamp-post isn't vandalism. In my opinion it is vandalism. We disagree as we hold polar opposite opinions. You point?

We hold different opinions on whether attaching a bicycle to a lamppost is vandalism, but I'm prepared to explain why I hold my opinion on why it isn't vandalism: namely that it doesn't damage or prevent the lamppost from functioning, that it's the equivalent of parking a car, and that it's not vandalism in a legal sense. For all your bluster, you haven't yet explained why you think it is vandalism.

I thought that there were planning restrictions or bylaws against putting up random signage etc on the public highway.  Other wise there would be people sticking up advertisements all over the place.  During the second last Scottish election our parish took on the appearance of a one horse cowboy town.