Hill of Steinswall above Asta Loch

clanchief

(** MOD EDIT ** This topic has been split from the outdoor activities thread)

I was out walking the hills this lovely afternoon looking for game to shoot for the Game Pie that I always enjoy at Xmas.

Over the next few weeks I hope to get a few snipe, woodcock, perhaps a Grouse and breast of duck. I will bulk this up with cuts of Hare & Rabbit.

Today's contribution was a brace of snipe.

Does anyone know who erected the cross on top of the Hill of Steinswall above Asta Loch? I tightened up the three guy ropes this afternoon, so perhaps kneeling before the cross helped my shooting !

Does anyone know who erected the cross on top of the Hill of Steinswall above Asta Loch? I tightened up the three guy ropes this afternoon, so perhaps kneeling before the cross helped my shooting !

Alledgedly the handiwork of the goodly christian who lives in the house directly across the valley (JA), It fell down the year before last and it took him a while to erect it again. I dare say he would be appreciative of your maintenance.

FYI not many grouse left between Asta and Whiteness, one of the locals has been busy this year. In fact not many hare, snipes, or woodcock left either it would seem. A couple of years ago, at this time, i clocked 11 hares between Asta and Ustaness Loch, this year there were perhaps 3. They hadn't changed coats yet though, that always makes spotting a bit too easy. :wink:

I don't know who exactly erected the cross there but it is in remembrance of the victims in the plane crash.

I stand corrected if that is the case, that would make me a victim of chinese whispers. :oops:

Was it erected at the same time as the memorial at the kirkyard, or am i thinking of a different crash?

I heard it was a Leask guy who put it up on top of the hill. Its somthing interesting to look at anyway.

Alledgedly the handiwork of the goodly christian who lives in the house directly across the valley (JA), It fell down the year before last and it took him a while to erect it again. I dare say he would be appreciative of your maintenance. :

It seems to lie in my mind that it was erected over 25 years ago in protest at the Tingwall Foy being held on a Sunday.

The Christian familiy across from it re-erected it a few years ago. I seem to remember that there was also a group of others involved in re-erecting it, but im not sure who originally put it there. Ill try and find out from my mates who might have been among those who help the family re-erect it. (This could take some time!)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...