Pets and the ferry

DarkstarIII

Are you allowed to bring animals across on the ferry.. as we have to move our wee puss smurf...and am not sure if ye can take him on the boat...

Also.. does anyone know what the sea is gonna be like at this time of year, cause I hae visions of spending the whole trip with my head down the toilet...

:?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you allowed to bring animals across on the ferry.. as we have to move our wee puss smurf...and am not sure if ye can take him on the boat...

You can either give your a cat a sedative, and let him sleep overnight in your vehicle, or put him in a kennel. See Can I travel with my dog or cat ? on Northlink's site. Some people sneak their pets into their cabins, but this is frowned upon somewhat.

Also.. does anyone know what the sea is gonna be like at this time of year, cause I hae visions of spending the whole trip with my head down the toilet...

:?

Well I predict with confidence that the sea will be wet and cold.

A story I heard once:

A local DIY shop was doing a big promotion so they booked the Dulux dog as part of the publicity. The dog was duly despatched with handler but when they turned up at the boat, the handler was told 'All livestock must travel on deck' (this was many years ago, so probably the Clair or Sunniva). The (rather elderly) dog was placed on deck, in a cage and the handler retired to the bar. It was a hell of a night and when the boat docked the handler was horrified to discover the pooch dead in his cage. :twisted:

I'm not sure of the providence of this tale (one I heard in the pub) so it would be appreciated if anyone who does know could confirm/deny it.

PS this is my 50th post, do I get a sweetie? :)

We took wir cats doon wi wis in January and pat dem in da kennels. wan thing tae watch is dat northlink book cats an dugs intae dem, so da cat could end up wi dugs aa aroond it. tink it wis aboot £7 wan wye. dir wis idder eens dat got on in orkney and joost took da cat basket tae dir cabin. likely aright providing yur no sharing wi unkin fok...

watch oot fur da sedatives. wi got eens fae da vet but got telt dat some cats goes clean high whin dir geen dem. widna fancy 12 hours on a boat wi a cat climbin da waas...

if du's feeling really flush, du could aye fly up wi him. dunna tink dey charge extra, joost mak sure du tells dem du's taking a cat - my pal didna when he wis flying tae bristol and him and da cat got as far as glasgow an den he hed tae drive fae dere. Wi a cat dat's violently car seek. 8 hours i tink it took, but i'm no 100% sure becis he starts twitching if you mention it (da human, no da cat...).

:lol: Thanks for the advice... That is what we are worried aboot is that the cat is stuck doon stairs wi dogs freakin out... Thats no good for the peerie auld man... he disna deserve yon at his age.. but dont want to sneak him to cabin and spend the whole night listening to him meowin his head off.. which he does with monotonus regularity anyway...

:roll:

Take gear to clean the kennel afor hand if you can, like de fleaer stuff.

On of my friends does that, because even though they do rinse down the kennels there could still be some nasty beasties about!

Yeah I was worried about that, I am not sure how he is going to be for about 12 hours or so on his own down there, especially if there are dogs... I dont think he knows what a dog is.. as he has always been kept in a flat, and hasnt been outside... He is 14..

I am worried that he isnt going to make the trip.... :cry:

Guest perrie-lipper

One ferry lets you to take the pet on deck for a stretch and the other does not, I got the impression the term Good and Bad crew existed, as I could not complain about the service one ferry but the other ferry had a very negative manor towards their customers.

However the kennels are very basic, I have to leave my pet overnight in the kennels as BA charge £130 each way for the pet and is a bit extreme I think, but the options are limited as everyone knows who has to make trips up and down.

The best thing for pet owners to do is to leave their pets in the kennels and not visit them for the next day, my pet gets very upset when people come to visit their pets as she does not like to be left alone, and every time someone goes down opens the door puts the light on it disturbs her, you just cant win.

Yeah I was worried about that, I am not sure how he is going to be for about 12 hours or so on his own down there, especially if there are dogs... I dont think he knows what a dog is.. as he has always been kept in a flat, and hasnt been outside... He is 14..

I am worried that he isnt going to make the trip.... :cry:

Don't worry! Plenty of animals go on this, your pup will be fine. I know some wife who sedated her dog (Or whatever you call it) before it went on board. Or was it a cat? Can't remember.