Motorised buggies

Twerto

I was heading into town on Saturday afternoon around 3.30pm. Just driving up past where the matchbox house is, and coming in the opposite direction was a woman in an electric wheelchair.

It was getting dark, it was pi**ing down rain and she was on the road, and not travelling at any great speed. I cringed I thought if ever that is an accident waiting to happen this is it. I wouldn't mind if she was on the footpath, cos let's face it. It would be easier for a person to veer round her than a car at 30mph. 8O

I was heading into town on Saturday afternoon around 3.30pm. Just driving up past where the matchbox house is, and coming in the opposite direction was a woman in an electric wheelchair.

It was getting dark, it was pi**ing down rain and she was on the road, and not travelling at any great speed. I cringed I thought if ever that is an accident waiting to happen this is it. I wouldn't mind if she was on the footpath, cos let's face it. It would be easier for a person to veer round her than a car at 30mph. 8O

If this is the same chair and "driver" I am thinking of then I believe it is classed as a "motor assisted wheelchair" and as such may be used on the pavements. Of course pavement use does not mean that it may not be ridden on the road and it probably makes good sense to avoid some of our pavements.

I am guessing here but I think that as a "motor assisted wheelchair" there is no requirement for the thing to be fitted with brakes, bells or lights.

That said I do think someone from the police traffic department should "advise" the lady that she is a risk to herself and other road users.

Was driving at lunchtime today and she was trundling along at Freefield on the road holding up queues of cars. She then went over the crossing, through a red light. If the vehicle can be used on the road, surely she should be following the highway code at least?!!?

She had on the largest pair of ear muffs I've ever seen with a hat over the top. I very much doubt that she could even hear the traffic.

All jokes aside about motorised buggies and their users, I agree with Justme. She should really be advised before she causes an accident or gets into one herself. The way she drives that thing, it only a matter of time... :(

Saw a good one this evening.

Elderly English Lady (Can we refer to them as 'EEL'(s) in future? save a lot of typing) riding motorised buggy on pavement gets told off for riding without lights etc.

"I'm on the pavement" she declares.

"Yes" was the reply "and the rest of us have to step into the road because of that"

Interesting point in there somewhere.

Anyway, moments later she discovers that she can't get off the pavement because it's to high.

Probably went round in circles until her batteries died :twisted:

Sort of related to the demon lady. Today I watched two "helpers" getting an ordinary wheel chair off the pavement just up from Imeldas (the side road to the top shop of the Malakof) and then back on again by what was the assessors office. And who is there now?.........roads and transport. The people who brought us the low floor bus long before the law said we had to have them. And they now have two examples of pavements not being wheelchair friendly right outside their office.

Sort of related to the demon lady as perhaps she took to the road as there were too many pavements she could not use.

I am impressed when they do something about the pavements. By the Lerwick Laundry being a classic example - a lovely job.

I would like to see higher pavements and more wheelchair friendly drop kerbs. Higher pavements would hopefully keep those numpties who insist on parking on them off of them.

Everyone ought to try pushing a wheelchair around the streets. It's hard work. I remember pushing my Dad in his up a steep hill with broken pavements, him the withering victim of cancer and me the wheezing asthmatic. We must have looked a sorry pair :cry:

Sort of related to the demon lady as perhaps she took to the road as there were too many pavements she could not use.

A very valid point. I admire the resilience and determination of anybody infirm who retains there mobility, or tries to. I have an elderly relative (not in Shetland) who is very aged and seriously infirm, but still manages holidays, day trips and a very active life because of the buggy. She is inspirational.

Locally i have watched a lady in an electric buggy (out of the town) trying to negotiate a tight turn to use a pavement ramp, failing, and having to be helped out of the buggy to allow it to reverse up the slope. All very awkward.

Perhaps the one, of whom you speak, in the town should have flashing lights fitted to it if he/she is using the road regularly. Slow moving vehicles and plant have to by law, so perhaps a rotating beacon on the buggy would help?

( a blue one would perhaps gluff and deter reckless drivers in her area :wink: :P )