YOU'RE FROM SHETLAND?

Sherri

"Do you have electricity?", "I suppose the post's delivered by pony", etc, etc. The list goes on and I haven't heard an original one for years.

On the flip side though and roughly on topic of folk's general ignorance of the place, I remember talking to a fog bound rig worker at Unst airport a few years back. We yarned away for a bit and afeter telling me he'd been going through the airport for over two years, he got around to asking where exactly we were. I gave him the usual answer of "x miles north of aberdeen, y miles west of Bergen, latitude of southern greenland etc"

He looked at me blankly for a minute before saying thoughtfully:

"So, we're on an island then....?"

I know a guy who came here on a placement, he was staying in the country and got on the first bus he saw as he thought there was only one bus for the whole of shetland which just carried on in a loop. He wanted to get to Lerwick, hasen to say he ended up some where completley different. Took him ages to realise the bus wasent looping around!

I have been asked if we live in huts before.

What do we speak instead of English.

What train do I get home.

I've been asked from Sales reps especially: Do we live in caves? Do you manage to get television? How far from Oxford is that? Does it snow all year? Do you have a bridge to mainland, etc, etc. I think it's unreal how ignorant some people are, although saying that it's great for me as I love spinnin a yarn. :P :P :D

I've been asked from Sales reps especially: Do we live in caves? Do you manage to get television? How far from Oxford is that? Does it snow all year? Do you have a bridge to mainland, etc, etc. I think it's unreal how ignorant some people are, although saying that it's great for me as I love spinnin a yarn. :P :P :D

To be honest, some of the things are ridiculous but equally, why should people know about us? Some say they are ignorant but in all fairness what do I know about an isle like Barra for instance.. not alot.

We are a small, remote community and sometimes I think some people forget that