YOU'RE FROM SHETLAND?

Sherri

I've been asked from Sales reps especially: Do we live in caves? Do you manage to get television? How far from Oxford is that? Does it snow all year? Do you have a bridge to mainland, etc, etc. I think it's unreal how ignorant some people are, although saying that it's great for me as I love spinnin a yarn. :P :P :D

I refuse to believe that.

One woman once told my friends that she was astonished that an island of 1000 inhabitants could keep the language of Whalsay alive!

Usually when I'm downsouth I'm asked if my accent is irish, same with my friends.

One family we spoke to when in America asked us where we were from so we told them we came from the Shetland Isles that are North of Scotland: "Oh so your English?" they said

"No we're Shetlanders, and Shetland is in Scotland, so we're Scottish rather than English"

"Yeah," They replied "Scotland that's in England?"

They were amazed when the found out Scotland was a country and not a county in England.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My experience is the opposite. Once told a Ghanian guy who had moved into my street in England where I am from and he said "oh, yes, I worked at Sulom" Lots of people have been there with the oil. Recently done my leg in and the doctor who set it in Leeds, his father was fae Walls. He visits every year with his bairns. It really is a peerie world.

A friend of mine was in a posh shop in Edinburgh with her mother and aunt, both the older ladies being from Whalsay. After fruitless attempts to converse with an assistant, a supervisor came past, listened to what was going, then turned to my friend and said "I'll fetch another member of staff who will be able to understand them, she's Polish too" :P

• 2 weeks later...