Shetland shops & retailers

JustMe

Yesterday, I had a fairly heated discussion with a company from whome I was going to purchase a single chip.

Cost of chip £98. Delivery (by courier) £25 (£10 over 'standard' for being offshore)

No way was I going to pay so much for delivery of a single chip and, I thought quite reasonably, pointed out that it could be sent by RM Special Delivery for about £7.

The response I got was the usual bull***t. RM is 'unreliable' etc.

Told them to stick the chip and bought it from another company who were £3 dearer but very happy to use SD.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he problem with couriers in shetland is that many of them are delivered by shetlandline who only prefer to use there own boat to ship too shetland so it will be overnighted to aberdeen but can sit there for 4/5 days also takes a while to be delivered in shetland by them. however its not common knowledge that shetland line have a container on the northlink boat everynight which should conatin couried stuff and next day delivery etc but once its full thats it the rest stays!

so next time you order sumthing ask who delivers it and chase them and also tell the courier company whats going on as they are paying shetland line for a next day service but only getting a next week!!! the ones i have spoke too wernt too happy!!

A lot of comapnys dont know that we have a ferry every night, the woman in B&Q swore blind that we only have a boat on thurs and sun!! so please inform these ppl or shetland will forever have this problem!

Shetland Line/Streamline Shipping offer their customers various services including the overnight service on Northlink and the normal service on the Streamline boat. Obviously the overnight service costs more and some companies are not prepared to pay the extra cost. Bit like 1st and 2nd class mail. That most certainly is not Streamline's fault.

Truth is that we are lucky to get anything with free shipping and as I am seeing more restrictions on free services including anything north of the Forth/Clyde valley then maybe we really ought to be pressuring the government for some sort of equality with the rest of the UK......although the Isle of Wight also gets hit with punitive delivery charges by some companies.

• 3 weeks later...

Couriers leave stuff left in cars parked outside our property situated in open hill - may not be our car, but stuff is just left there in the hope we might get it!

I have had stuff thrown over our gate - I have goats. They reduced a cast iron BBQ into its component parts minus instructions and packaging in a morning!

But....well done to Apple who delivered my iMac on Christmas Eve which happened to be a Sunday! I was amazed.

• 1 month later...
There isn't much things you actually want to buy in Shetland shops and retailers these days. It makes me feel a little bored. Why can't they have the shops like down south (i.e. WHSmith etc.) it would be great if they have a decision like that. :)

Have you been up here long?