What does everyone want for Christmas???

DarkstarIII

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason 'mall' is a better word is because it is a word, not two. My argument is intended to hilight (sic) the fact that our version of English is not perfect, so why not adopt the parts which suit and leave those that do not? It would be foolish to adhere to a 'no American words' rule when some of them work well.

I'm not advocating a strict 'no American words' rule, nor I am denying or decrying the use of words from other languages which have become part of the English language. If you, as a writer or poet, > wish to choose 'lift' over 'elevator' or 'mall' over 'shopping centre', then that's your prerogative.

Part of my point is that the names for objects or traditions like those mentioned have started to be used to replace our own ones. 'Trick or treat' for Halloween guising, mall for shopping centre, etc. For what purpose? I remember reading a letter in the early sixties to my big sister from her American penpal. In it she enthused about a new craze - sidewalk surfing. Of course, this became known as skateboarding - an American word we adopted because we didn't have anything like it.

But we didn't have a good alternative to 'mall'. 'Shopping center' is not a good alternative - it's a clumsy alternative which people only seem to use because, damnit, it's just not British to say 'mall'.

I am not a great fan of the concept of such places in general, but 'mall' will do to describe them. It's not as if 'mall' gets used for anything else and 'mall' has a kind of manky, cloying sound to it; tinged with the whinging of children and a sullen resignation that one is about to spend money on rubbish. 'Shopping center', on the other hand, is just functional.

As for 'trick or treat' well, as far as I know, the whole Halloween guising thing is American. It's a bit pedantic to get fussed over what it's called. At least 'Trick or Treat' is catchy.

"Now children. Let us commence our 'Halloween Guising' activities".

I'm not advocating deliberate replacement, just not fussed if some other terms do replace. Trying to preserve the English language is like nailing jelly to the ceiling.

But we didn't have a good alternative to 'mall'. 'Shopping center' is not a good alternative - it's a clumsy alternative which people only seem to use because, damnit, it's just not British to say 'mall'.

I am not a great fan of the concept of such places in general, but 'mall' will do to describe them. It's not as if 'mall' gets used for anything else and 'mall' has a kind of manky, cloying sound to it; tinged with the whinging of children and a sullen resignation that one is about to spend money on rubbish. 'Shopping center', on the other hand, is just functional..

Meh. You say tomato, I say tomato... >

As for 'trick or treat' well, as far as I know, the whole Halloween guising thing is American. It's a bit pedantic to get fussed over what it's called. At least 'Trick or Treat' is catchy.

"Now children. Let us commence our 'Halloween Guising' activities".

Erm, we started it, not the Americans. They adopted it as 'Trick or Treat'. While the English didn't particularly celebrate Halloween , the more Celtic areas of the UK have traditionally done so. As a child in Scotland we talked about 'going guising' which meant guising at Halloween.

i know some people go guising (as in dress up for it) at new year but we've tended just to go "first footing" where you dont dress up, but you would make sure that my elder brother, being tall and dark haired would go through the door of whoevers house first, for good luck.

whereas at halloween its more guising with the dressing up part

With all this mall talk, I was using to word as an allusion to the Americanization of British culture, which I believe is partly responsible for the consumerization of Christmas. It is not a word I would use at all if not in this context.

"The one stream of poetry which is continually flowing is slang."

- G. K. Chesterton

With all this mall talk, I was using to word as an allusion to the Americanization of British culture, which I believe is partly responsible for the consumerization of Christmas. It is not a word I would use at all if not in this context.

"The one stream of poetry which is continually flowing is slang."

- G. K. Chesterton

Pah! It's all your fault! :wink: :) >