St Andrews Day

Styles

I think its a good idea but as usual when you have a power sharing goverment then you end up wi a compromise, eg yes you can have St Andrews day as a public holiday but you'll hae to swap it for one of the other ones? Maybe Drew Ratter will suggest we swap it for the Up-helly-aa public hol?

I think it's a great idea.

Of course, the businesses are against it, as they'd allegedly loose millions of pounds, in the same way that they loose billions of pounds through people having days off - they don't. It's a fantasy statistic used to justify their utter greed and complete lack of interest in the well-being (both mental and physical) of their employees, beyond maintaining the workers ability to function as cash earning drones!

:x

Perhaps anybody wanting the holiday should take a test on the life and times of St Andrew. Otherwise perhaps it should just be "Scotland Day".

Mind you that would better suit the non-christian vocal majority.

Okay, that's my provocative thought for the day, do atheists have any cause to request a public holiday for a saint? Surely accepting christian holidays is hypocritical for an atheist? :razz:

:wink:

I'm an atheist (and proud of it). I vote for a James Watt Day, or maybe a John Logie Baird Day, or what about that guy that invented capitalism (can't remember his name offhand) or Alexander Graham Bell Day, or Rabbie Burns Day (Hang on, we've already got that one).

Give me a few days and I'll get us the whole year off. :twisted: