Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

For years we were bombarded with stories about Global warming. Then almost overnight this was changed to climate change which could mean ,well anything even global cooling.WHY the change in terminology?.

Pretty obvious...

Sanitise it so that the problem(?) seems to be less of a problem(?). That way politicians can 'talk it down'

For years we were bombarded with stories about Global warming. Then almost overnight this was changed to climate change which could mean ,well anything even global cooling.WHY the change in terminology?.

Actually this is one of the climate myths or zombie lies* (if you prefer) that is constantly regurgitated by the deniers.

The reality is that the two terms have been used interchangeably since the 70's, with Climate Change being used almost exclusively before that.

The only person to advocate for a change in terminology was Frank Luntz, a republican political strategist working for the Bush regime, hardly an environmental extremist.

“Climate change†is less frightening than “global warmingâ€. As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.†While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge.

Source: http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-change-global-warming.htm

*Zombie Lie:- A lie told by deniers which refuses to die no matter how many times it is killed by the truth.

ArabiaTerra Quote regurgitated by the ''deniers'' sounds very much like holocaust denier why the hostility to anyone who questions the global warming industry. Rember our electric bills are soaring under this false premise .Not to mention our industries being destroyed all in the name of ''climate change''.

Given the fine weather in Shetland this past week this global warming stuff seems to be working in a favourable way - the climate apparently shifting in a positive manner appears to be providing a relative calm that many may welcome - of course proponents of wind induced energy transformation may beg to differ.

ArabiaTerra Quote regurgitated by the ''deniers'' sounds very much like holocaust denier why the hostility to anyone who questions the global warming industry. Rember our electric bills are soaring under this false premise .Not to mention our industries being destroyed all in the name of ''climate change''.

You know, you're absolutely right.

It is very insulting to all the honest holocaust deniers out there to even consider comparing them to the right-wing, fascist, gutter-slime running the climate change denial industry.

After all, the holocaust deniers are just a bunch of harmless old men with some funny ideas about history, while the climate-change deniers are purposely and deliberately working for the end of civilisation and the deaths of billions.

There's really no comparison.

I consider myself suitably chastised.

[/sarcasm] :roll:

Ok that looks nonsense any chance of a real one and explanation of abbreviations (I am on your side but need facts ) please be truthful or you will turn people away.

I'm not quite following you here. Could you be a bit more specific about what you're looking for?

The graph I posted above was showing the difference in usage of the terms "Climate Change" and "Global Warming" over the last 30 years or so.

GW-HITS refers to Global Warming and CC-HITS refers to Climate Change.

But seriously...

It's not a false premise.

Take a look at this page:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

There you will find every single claim the deniers have made about Climate Change, and a full rebuttal of that claim. Work your way through them, and if you still have doubts, post them here and I'll try to answer them for you.

• 4 months later...

They're not going to slow down until Governments make them slow down, and as they've bought all the governments...

We're screwed! :evil:

Short answer: It hasn't.

Slightly longer answer: Global warming doesn't apply solely to air temperatures. It applies to the whole biosphere. This includes the oceans, the ice, the tundra, the hydrological cycle, etc. It can manifest itself in many different ways such as warmer oceans, melting ice, melting tundra, more evaporation and therefore heavier rainfall, stronger winds and probably a dozen other things I can't think of, offhand. just because one particular measurement of one small part of the totality of global warming has paused doesn't mean global warming has stopped.

And anyway, the whole way this question is framed is flawed because it depends on selecting 1998 as your starting point. 1998 was a record breaking El-Nino year, the strongest ever recorded. If you don't start with 1998, then the so-called pause vanishes.

This blog post goes into things in more detail:

http://tamino.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/fifteen/