Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/passengers-on-russian-ship-trapped-in-antarctic-ice-likely-to-spend-new-year-on-board-as-rescue-helicopter-stands-by-9031392.html

Kind of ironic, expecting to show ice melt, and becoming stuck in it instead. Still I expect they will 'explain' the unexpected large amounts of ice as being a sure fire sign of global warming.

Graphs are pretty but, don't really prove anything other than historic data and, cartoons are a neat way of poo pooing anything.

Pity that you had to use the graph of the Greenland Ice Core figures.  Did you try it with a Global Average?

What that illustration does not point out is that the current warming trend is mostly 'man made' whilst previous peaks and troughs appear to be a naturally(?) occurring cycle.

You also need to recognise that all the crap we are pumping into the atmosphere will stay there for a very long time and, not just a few hundred years.

Seems to me that our own heat retentive pollution coupled with natural warming/cooling cycles is going to screw things up pretty badly.

Perhaps you might be inclined to agree that warming is a fact when the water (if there is any left) starts splashing around your top lip....

• 2 months later...

I guess most people have lost interest over the years...?

Lost interest or given up?

The whole problem with 'Global Warming' is that politicians and 'big business' have got hold of it and 'santised' it.

ie; it is no longer referred to as 'Global Warming' but as 'Climate Change'.  Sounds less alarming even though it is one and the same thing.

Then we have the 'Deniers' who, basically, just lie to us in the face of (imho) overwhelming evidence.

Just who are they trying to kid? 

Perhaps it is a case that the masses who really believe the overwhelming evidence have not lost interest.

But at the same time I dont suppose many have given up the modern luxuries that are considered  the root of the problem .

I mean if people were really concerned about global environmental catastrophe then I would have thought more people would be disconnecting their electricity and swopping the car for a horse and cart ?

No particular point Mr Terra..., just a small story that I found interesting. Dropped it in here to see if it would regenerate the debate . It's not so busy on this thread these days.

I guess most people have lost interest over the years...?

Well the science is pretty much settled: It's happening and it's going to be bad.

And as far as the political debate goes, we've lost. The fossil fuel industry have bought our politicians, lock, stock and barrel.

So until there is some sort of major catastrophe, something big enough to shatter the status quo, then there isn't really anything to talk about, mores the pity.

Though if there are any deniers out there who want to put their case, then please, jump right in, I haven't had a decent chew-toy on this thread for months. :twisted:

Your fairly right, don't expect politicians to sort our energy infrastructure ( or the way we consume it) any time soon.

They have hijacked wind power so that rather than actually cutting any emmisions , it only serves to make the landed gentry richer.

So  if politics has failed, what about the ordinary man and woman in the street.?

What about the hard core climate change doom mongers ?  

Should you not be leading by example and doing an Amish ?

And why is the ice coverage on the American great lakes reaching the same record breaking levels that were recorded 40 years ago ?

But at the same time I dont suppose many have given up the modern luxuries that are considered  the root of the problem .

I've given up quite a lot of them.

! no longer drive a car but, use public transport, a bicycle or walk.

I use electricity sparingly.

Can't make to many concessions heating my home unless I want to freeze(?).

Tend to prepare most of my food from 'fresh' and do not, if I can help it, by pre-prepared of packaged foods.

Just wonder if it will make any difference.

• 3 months later...