Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

the point that someone is at least trying to do something.

Yis indeed. One o da most disheartening things aboot aa dis Climate Rebellion is folk (and da right leaning media) ignoring da message and da scientific consensus because dey tink it's 'da wrang kind o protester' - da "why should I listen tae somebody dat's too young, too middle class, too white, too whitiver?" kind o attitude.

Weel, you dunna hae tae listen tae dem. Do yur ain research and you'll liklee come tae da same uncomfortable conclusion as dem onywye.

The problem is that, if a "protest" is NOT in your face, then it is easy to ignore it and "sweep it under the carpet".

The truth is that the so called "3rd world" countries CANNOT be allowed to increase their consumption of non-renewables without first reducing their birthrate and population.  Instead it is US in the so called "developed" countries who have to curtail and dramatically reduce our reckless consumption of EVERYTHING whilst also reducing our own populations..

The time is coming when we will be fighting for a handfull of rice and the air that we breathe.

I fully accept that climate change is an issue which will take some inventive thinking, and as I get older I’m more conscious of my carbon footprint, doing what I can to reduce it.

But come on, if anyone thinks the shambles of a protest, with their climbing on electric trains, disrupting everyday commuters and dancing around looking like half stoned hippies has helped their cause, they are as off their heads as a lot of those protesters appeared.

This type of protesting does little to bring people on board and has more than likely put more people off.

Disrupting public transport was a bit of a major brain fart it has to be said. Doesn't mean everything else they say or do is immediately tossed out the window.

It's also curious how the word hippy gets used in a derogatory form. Where would we be without the hippy movement? It did a lot of good along the way.

Muckle Oxters, that might be the stance you wish to take but, it’s important to recognise the difference between disagreeing with their tactics and acknowledging the message they made such a hash of getting across.

I would have no doubt that their tactics likely caused more carbon in the atmosphere. 

Edited by Windwalker

the message they made such a hash of getting across.

I don’t know aboot dat. I tink dey’re being brawly successful in dir objectives. Personally, I’m no liklee tae go on a protest wee dem but I support dir aims. I got speaking wee some o dem when I got inveigled trying to get though Edinburgh earlier dis year and dey wir a convivial bunch (and dey wir lettin trams and bused through). Da vast majority o dem wir joost ‘normal’ folk dat are concerned aboot da environment, and hats aff tae dem fur excercisin dir right fur peaceful protest. Disappointingly, I didna see wan dancing hippy among dem or I mighta had a peerie shiggle we dem :-)

I would think the majority of folk switched off after watching news reports about the antics of some of the protesters. We will have to disagree about them getting their point across, as I think they failed drastically.

Im all for anyone exercising their right to peaceful protest, but this was nothing but. They broke the law by climbing on top of trains and disrupted “normal folk” from getting to work, hospital appointments etc.

Im sure there are lots of normal folk amongst them with good intentions, but to say they were brawley successful in their objectives can only suggest their objectives were to disrupt people using one of the most environmentally friendly forms of transport. I’m yet to meet anyone, with the accept ion if yourself who thinks they did a good job.