Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

The Climate change lobby have stepped up a gear recently and are becoming  hysterical and are looking more  like a cult complete with a charismatic young messiah who has prophesized no less than the end of days and a great flood in 12 years time unless we repent . Do the majority of people really believe all this ?  

It's the people who do not believe the figures that bother me. 

What are the figures for China and India?

Its similar to how the Campaign for Nuclear disarmament tended to not care about Eastern Bloc countries being armed but was very interested in the Western Bloc disarming.

EFVjcRSXUAEqzv4.jpg

He wasn't discussing the figures though we are discussing the mentality and attitude which is more of a reaction to the figures

Lots of "Green" political movements have a ton of things that have nothing to do with protecting nature as these take a back seat to contemporary non-environmental left wing issues.

Edited by NullVoid

@NullVoid

I do not know what the figures are for China and India although, I do know that they are greater than ours.  That doesn't diminsih any argument.

The bigest polluter of all is the good ole U S of A. 

Just what any of this has to do the the CND escapes me though.  It's a bit od a "dumb" argument.

Poking fun at Greta doesn'y help you either.  The picture example you included only shows the massive  imbalance in the use of resources.    Guess you must be a "denier" who will not accept any other point of view until global warming has raised sea levels to the point that the water is splashing about your top lip. 

I’m sure I have missed the point of this, But I do believe that our climate is changing part is natural but part probably has been accelerated by humans. I could think of many ideas from simple to extreme, my personal favourite would be that all countries with large water volumes of fresh water running into the sea should pipe some of this water near the sea side into a global network of pipes.  (Just like our fiber network system (COUGH and oil)) This could be used to bring water to places suffering from drought or even pump it into a desert /s to let it evaporate causing rain elsewhere. But let’s be honest countries don’t play nice even on the fiber networks cyber war is rife.

I am not sure that some of these protests are giving out a good example. Ie in a protest on the news I saw someone hauling around a boat with an old Volvo. From what I can recall they weren’t  the best on fuel unloaded let alone pulling a big boat, how much fuel did you spend pulling that around?

On the subject of vehicles I have done my own calculations I drive on average 10,500 miles. I drive a van that i use for my work. I spend £45 on fuel for every 300 miles. Now I would love to buy one of those EV vans but.. 10500/300=35 times I fill the tank, 35X£45= £1,575 for fuel, + £280 Road tax, £1855 cost per year £154.59 Per month not including maintenance which normally always works out to be around £1000 for servicing, parts and MOT. I can buy a second hand van (that’s all i can afford about £3000/£4000). The cost for me to by a second hand van that can handle my worse trips can happen ie Lerwick to Yell and back is 98 miles, this usually has no capabilities to stop and charge for 30min, so an EV used usually works out to £18000 to £25000. Getting them on finance does not work as most want over £400 a month for a ev that’s already 3+ years.  Remember servicing is still needed! If I drove one of those large 4x4 just because I can then perhaps, I would.

My budget is already stretched as it is. I cannot afford this. Now I could put up prices, but this could have a knock on effect, till the point I ether drive away business or everyone else would put up there price to cover it and so on.

Back to the protests, some say, tax or price hikes. Just because they probably don’t use the services or so they think. Putting up prices will inevitably raise prices on other things too. Example the transport services, put up their fuel bill, rise your delivery cost, inevitably rise the price of the item on the shelf to get it there. Sure you could say buy local, but who makes CornFlakes here in Shetland from local produce? There will be protests about the cost of living..... oh wait there already is.

Forget sending the kids out to protest. Use that time to teach them how to generate power! Show them how to take an old car alternator and make some form of generator out of it, water, wind, pedal or all?  (I’m sure I did this for a science show when I was at school) Show them how they could use it to charge their phones that they are stuck to, think of the power saved.

How about at home have a form of low voltage system run by 12v batteries and charged by wind or solar or both and use that system to drive LED lights, charge phones, low power laptops, perhaps the TV? Does not need to be a large kilowatt system just a small boat like turbine and/or a large solar panel. I think that would help, and costs should not be huge less than £1000 for battery, inverter, panel, generator and some extras.  It’s not much but for us whom cannot afford to go big then surely it helps a bit?

I see all these people protesting and saying lots of things, but then you see them basically do the opposite in their daily lives. COME ON! DO WHAT YOU PREACH! Don’t preach to others. Yes there are those who maybe can afford to be “green” but that does not always help us fokes further down when people say this should cost more. As far as I can see you can do the following.

Be as “green” energy efficient as you can be, IE drive with care, make your fuel go further. turn off what you don’t need at home.

Don’t dispose of your old tech too soon IE your phone, laptop or any electronic devices use it for as long as possible (it stops working) before replacing and not because it’s not current model.

Fit energy saving/generation devices where possible and affordable, don’t go to deep over this as costs can quickly get out of hand. IE insulation, solar panels, small wind turbines.

Use as little plastic as possible (I will admit this is a hard one with all the takeaway soups I have in the van, I do have cutlery and cups but they don’t always get used) IE disposable bags, cups and cutlery.

Rather than shouting for someone to make changes how about people show someone what they could change? I am sure people will have other suggestions.  I’m personally going to try out the low voltage system.

Edited by aaa22

@NullVoid

I do not know what the figures are for China and India although, I do know that they are greater than ours.  That doesn't diminsih any argument.

The bigest polluter of all is the good ole U S of A. 

Just what any of this has to do the the CND escapes me though.  It's a bit od a "dumb" argument.

Poking fun at Greta doesn'y help you either.  The picture example you included only shows the massive  imbalance in the use of resources.    Guess you must be a "denier" who will not accept any other point of view until global warming has raised sea levels to the point that the water is splashing about your top lip. 

I could use a picture of Gretas handlers and the broadcasters who promote her but they aren't as well known

Would you rather i use some other photos of climate activists

extinction-rebellion-800x480.jpg

I think Climate change is real but i think the Climate activism movement is a load of sprootle

as i said before

Lots of "Green" political movements have a ton of things that have nothing to do with protecting nature as these take a back seat to contemporary non-environmental left wing issues.

Hence non-environmental

And for all its faults the United States has laws to protect nature while China does not have to abide by such rules,

Furthermore waste disposal and handling of dangerous chemicals is far better in the US than in china.

Consumers in and from the United States are far more likely to invest in our economy and working conditions there far exceed china's

How about at home have a form of low voltage system run by 12v batteries and charged by wind or solar or both and use that system to drive LED

Be as “green” energy efficient as you can be, IE drive with care, make your fuel go further. turn off what you don’t need at home.

Don’t dispose of your old tech too soon IE your phone, laptop or any electronic devices use it for as long as possible (it stops working) before replacing and not because it’s not current model.

Fit energy saving/generation devices where possible and affordable, don’t go to deep over this as costs can quickly get out of hand. IE insulation, solar panels, small wind turbines.

Use as little plastic as possible (I will admit this is a hard one with all the takeaway soups I have in the van, I do have cutlery and cups but they don’t always get used) IE disposable bags, cups and cutlery.

Rather than shouting for someone to make changes how about people show someone what they could change? I am sure people will have other suggestions.  I’m personally going to try out the low voltage system.

77325.jpg10080.jpg

Tonnes of appliances available for home 12v remember to change the Cigarette lighter plug  to something else you waste energy when it heats up and its designed to be like that,

Make sure its polarized since many inverters break when the polarity is wrong

The problem with batteries is they don't store well and need lots of maintenance to keep them in shape easy if you have 1 or 3 but not 14,

You could put batteries in a small trailer fit a car charger in that and have those charge up while your car is parked away from home and hook it up to top up the batter when you get back or have it towed to your car when you run out of battery somewhere

Edited by NullVoid

Ive heard Iceland is going to get colder while Greenland is going to thaw

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/06/iceland-greenland-name-swap/

Unfortunately, the Land of the People Most Adept at Living With Ice now faces the impending realities of climate change. The rapidly melting Greenland ice sheet has resulted in cold temperatures in the North Atlantic, which has significantly slowed the Gulf Stream. Should the trend continue, Iceland will likely suffer much colder temperatures and even sea ice, while Greenland will continue to grow warmer and shed icebergs at an alarming rate.

Alternate theory Icelandic people sneak over to Greenland to steal their god dammed ice!

Access to some areas near the Greenland Strait are restricted during particular times of the year because reasons.

Apparently they import ice from Scotland as exporting Sand to Saudi Arabia and Ice to Iceland are Major Scottish industries.

Source 1

Source 2

• 3 weeks later...

It seems, according to UCLA, that keeping pet cats and dogs are a huge contributor to global warming, as well as polluting our water supplies.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/the-truth-about-cats-and-dogs-environmental-impact

Birth control also pollutes water as its difficult to filter out once it exits the body and goes back into the water cycle.

It would appear that the all the spinsters and cat ladies have doomed us all,

They don't settle for 1 cat they get a whole pack of them to project their now unnecessary paternal instincts onto.

tumblr_nvphvsWPqU1tszceio1_1280.png

247px-Royal_Society_for_the_Protection_o150px-IUCN_logo.svg.png125px-WWF_logo.svg.png

Personally i see this as a matter for the RSPB, International Union for Conservation of Nature and the World Wide Fund for Nature to declare a top priority.

Ted Cruz tweeted: “By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he’s more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh. This agreement will do little to affect the climate and will harm the livelihoods of Americans.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/aoc-ted-cruz-biden-paris-climate-agreement-b1790701.html