Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

22 hours ago, MuckleJoannie said:

Ted Cruz tweeted: “By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he’s more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh. This agreement will do little to affect the climate and will harm the livelihoods of Americans.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/aoc-ted-cruz-biden-paris-climate-agreement-b1790701.html

I thought that was an odd thing for Cruz to Tweet considering Trump said something very similar three years ago after pulling out of the Paris accord but had the his thunder stolen by the Mayor of Pittsburgh.

Trump: “I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris,”

Mayor of Pittsburgh: “Pittsburgh stands with the world and will follow Paris agreement..... As the mayor of Pittsburgh, I can assure you that we will follow the guidelines of the Paris agreement for our people, our economy and future.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/01/pittsburgh-fires-back-trump-paris-agreement

On 21/01/2021 at 22:48, MuckleJoannie said:

Ted Cruz tweeted: “By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he’s more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh. This agreement will do little to affect the climate and will harm the livelihoods of Americans.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/aoc-ted-cruz-biden-paris-climate-agreement-b1790701.html

This guy went to Princeton University and Harvard Law School for goodness sake! Please tell me he knew the Paris Climate Agreement was named after the location the meeting took place and had nothing to do with the "...views of the citizens of Paris..." It could be the case he knew fine well and just said it anyway knowing it would play well with his target audience.

I did like the comeback in the link though...

‘Quick question: do you also believe the Geneva Convention was about the views of the citizens of Geneva?’ Rep Ocasio-Cortez responded

• 2 weeks later...

It looks lik we're going tae hae tae cut vent hols in wir flankers afore ower lang!

"SHETLAND has been identified as one area in Scotland likely to be affected by extreme droughts as a result of climate change, a new scientific report published by NatureScot has found."

Yun came fae da 2nd story doon on dis page https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/02/03/news-round-up-funding-for-seafood-businesses-drought-hotspot-self-determination-questionnaire-globelyell-festival-and-polycrub-graduate-sought/

I can mind droughts as a youngster, where we had hose bans etc, with the Sandy loch at a very low ebb . Our infrastructure has obviously improved greatly since then, which along with our expected rainy climate had seen little lack of fresh drinking water in recent years. Mind you I always think the summers back then we’re sunnier and drier.

It seems to suggest that we could go from a drought one year to floods the next. Who would have thought Shetland could be short if water.

• 1 year later...

In view of recent events it strikes me that we (UK and Europe ) should step up our own gas and oil production. It seems a falsehood  ceasing our own production to fight climate change, and then buy from despots and dictators.  Surely it is better to have our own controlled source, than to support unscrupulous foreign oligarchs. Until the renewables are all built and commissioned the only way reduce oil and gas  usage in places like Shetland is to switch off electricity, never mind go electric.

This is precisely what many have tried to say but it gets totally misunderstood in the name of "being popular" by objecting to it. The irony is that those who do object, are actually in reality promoting buying oil and gas (with all the associated environmental risks and costs involved) from places such as Russia.

On 28/02/2022 at 13:45, Rasmie said:

In view of recent events it strikes me that we (UK and Europe ) should step up our own gas and oil production......  Surely it is better to have our own controlled source........ 

Except that while we (the UK) have substantial quantities of oil & gas being produced daily, control of it seems to be completely in the hands of the oil and gas companies.

When it was reported that a Russian tanker was entering a UK port, many social media keyboard warriors assumed it was with a load of Russian oil coming to Britain. As we know it was the opposite – it was for a load of oil from Sullom Voe to leave the UK, as many (most?) loads of oil from Sullom Voe seem to do. How much “UK oil” is actually consumed in the UK? The argument to increase oil production to avoid using foreign oil doesn’t really seem to play out in practice.

And prices. It has been quoted that the UK only gets about 5% of it gas from Russia. But all gas has gone up massively in price, not least because the present government decided a few years ago that keeping a decent sized reserve in storage was too expensive. That is market forces; if the North Sea /west of Shetland produced twice as much gas as it does, it wouldn’t reduce UK gas prices; it would just mean that the oil and gas companies would make twice the eye watering profits they are getting just now.

There is piece in the Guardian reporting and commenting on the case made by the government minister Kwasi Kwarteng setting out his case for a clean energy future for the UK. I am pleasantly surprised to see someone in government giving what to me is a reasonably rounded summary of the situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/01/kwasi-kwartengs-stand-for-green-energy-isnt-everything-but-it-helps

• 3 months later...

---
changes
in extreme drought were calculated for the near future (2021-2040) in comparison to a baseline
period (1981-2001)
---

Be interesting to use a baseline period of 1961 to 1981, and see how accurate the prediction would have been for 1982 to 2001.

I wonder why a baseline period of 1981 to 2020 was not used instead ?

---
Using modelled
temperature and precipitation data from the UK Climate Projections 2018 (UKCP18) and the
drought index Standardised Precipitation-Evapotranspiration Index (SPEI),
---

I wonder how accurate those two are ?

I guess when I get a spare moment I will have a look.