Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes these guy must be working for the evil forces of planetery destruction????

Ithttp://www.seafriends.org.nz/fcl/index.htm#history

shows just how far you have descended in your single view lunatic vision arabia terra.

Anything and everything that does not agree in entirety with your doomsday scenario, where you are robbed of a wonderful life of today and extinction tommorrow by greedy industrial capatilists and stupid folk, is in your opinion a conspiracy theory by non scientists or the oil companies.

Yes there are plenty of problems ahead for life on the planet (not that is in any way a new phenomonen), many will be challenged and fixed peacfully, others may take major war or other nasty incidents, but you no the old saying, " life goes on and it will with balances changed whether we like this balance or not"

Anyway I have now lost any interest or amusment in this utter drivel.

Last post here and thats official, im going awa oot to enjoy the nice COOL summer weather.

Do try and get some sleep AT, but keep dee rubber boots and punt moored in the garden ......just in case.......hahaha

Werrre allll dooooomed, dooooomed I tell you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

get a grip boy, for pity's sake children read this site and all your prophecy's of dooooom might scare some of the poor souls.

Like I said in my last post if we were to take you as seriously as you obviously take yourself. our best bet would be suicide.

what have they putting in the flour?

Climate change didn't start with the politicians. The first scientific papers warning of the dangers of unrestricted CO2 emissions were published in the 1930's. The theory which underpins the science was pretty much thrashed out by the 1970's. The timetable of when we would start to see measurable effects wasn't known at that time but enough was known about the course we were on to tell us where to look.

By the late eighties there were signs appearing that we were affecting the climate, and now, twenty years later, the signs are unmistakable.

Now, if all this was a conspiracy, a fraud, then how come the Bush regime didn't blow this conspiracy wide open? Bush Jr and Cheney weren't greens, they weren't hippies, they were oilmen. They had the entire resources of the US government at their disposal. So why didn't they reveal the fraud?

Because they couldn't, there is no fraud. The science is sound and pretty much settled. We might not know exactly what the specific effects are going to be at any specific part of the world, but we know the general direction we're heading. And it's not good.

So, in the face of this why do you keep on with this fantasy about a conspiracy? How does this fantasy explain the melting glaciers, the melting icecaps, the thawing tundra, the rising sea levels, the extreme droughts, the crazy weather?

If climate change is fantasy, how do you explain the very real effects we're seeing?

rising sea levels where exactly is this happening not here thats fairly obvious to anyone that goes down by the pier every day.

my local shop used to flood often hasn't happened for 40+ years and there has been no change to the waterfront in that time.

don leslies and the lodberries used to flood, hasn't happened recently.

so when I see the sea coming in my front door I'll become a believer. but as we are seeing less instances of the sea coming in folks front doors I'll remain sceptical

So far, sea level rise has been on the order of mm/year. Difficult to separate from the daily tidal variation and storm surges etc. But the models predict it's going to accelerate.

Check out this graph. It shows the modelled sea level rise for the 20th C (Blue line) and the actual, measured rise (red line):

http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Reconstructed_Sea_Level_Cha.gif

(from here.)

Now look at what the models predict for the 21st C:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Projected-sea-level-rise.gif

(from the same place)

Considering that our emissions are currently tracking the worst predictions from the IPCC this is a worrying trend.

don leslies and the lodberries used to flood, hasn't happened recently.
I may be wrong, but aren't the surface water drains along the Esplanade connected into the new sewer and pumped out to the Greenhead now?

Flooding problems tend to come when you have hightides backing up drains and rain water with nowhere to go.