Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Anonymous

well that just shows how much attention you are showing . that last article from science daily you just submitted states in the 3rd paragraph that co2 levels were at 280 ppm for the last 600000 years before the industrial revolution and probably several million years before that.

You note the word probably , you have to remember that science still only delivers guesstimates both for the past and the future.

I am aware the climate has been warmer over the last few years (but not these last few days) and yes i would like to see better ways of doing things regarding the use of fossil fuels .

But in the end we wil probably have to adapt with it or go the same way as the dinosaurs .

Damn, you're right, you got me there, it's a fair cop etc... :oops:

But your point is ...? I mean I might have been wrong this time but the scientists aren't and it's their findings which matter. Global warming is still happening, there is still time to mitigate the worst effects if we start now and we still need the windfarm as part of that effort. :wink:

Also, the size of the predicted change puts us in danger of triggering feedback loops which could lead to a catastrophic release of additional CO2 from natural sinks such as peat bogs and the Arctic tundra..

Got to admit that alot of this discussion is over my head....

but here we have AT stating the importance of peat bogs as a carbon sink, yet in another thread he is more than happy to promote a massive windfarm and associated roads etc. which will have a huge effect on the peat in Shetland. Bit of a contradiction. Seems to me the obvious solution is to site them offshore, or at the very least in an area where there is no peat.

^^^ Ah, but if you'd read my posts on the windfarm thread you'd realise that I don't believe there will be a catastrophic impact on "Shetland's Peat", certainly nothing compared to the impact of doing nothing. Also, I've never said that the VE windfarm should be built instead of offshore windfarms. I'm in favour of windfarms wherever they are built.

The VE proposal will affect a small area in the NE corner of the Mainland, climate change will affect all the peat in the world.

Guest Anonymous

Arabia Terra , yesterday we , humanity burnt 80 million + barrels of oil on this planet , we also burnt a massive amount of coal & gas , several hundred million cows farted and so did I .

And I am sorry but we will all play our part to do it again today , tommorow , this time next week & this time next year.

If all this were to stop civilliasation as we know it would grind to a halt and I would also have the added discomfort of having trapped wind.

Give yourself a break from worrying about the end of the world , yes there are chances things could get worse but honestly do we the population of shetland (wind farm or not) have any chance of averting global catastrophe ?

I have my doubts.

And i also have my doubts about how much worse it will get.

In any case what exactly is it that makes you so cast iron sure all this science is 100% accurate ? The last piece you hit us with and i will state it here again said that co2 levels had remained static for ABOUT 600,000 YEARS & PROBABLY MILLIONS OF YEARS BEFORE THAT .

Now why do you put such fanatical blind faith into the accuracy of global warming theory when they can use figures ranging from 600,000 years to several million during which they THINK co2 levels remained kinda static. and still not explain how ice ages grew and retreated during the same time frame.

The way in which you seize onto this theories with such unquestionable faith makes you come across as the kind of person who in other times would have been running around the countryside burning witches.

In fact I was once like you and worried about how we had to halt this dreaded warming , but after looking at the whole thing realistically , i came to the conclusion that what is going to happen will happen , I try my best to release as little extra gas as possible but sometimes you just got tae let rip and all i have done is write this and have a cup of tea!

And I am for clean energy put in place in as cleanly as possible and that is why i am against what they currently plan for these Islands.

Guest Anonymous

If science suggested that reducing the human population back down to 2 billion may help avert the possible enviromental catastrophe would you go for that ?

But I cant see them having a game of picking short straws at the united nations.

Arabia Terra , yesterday we , humanity burnt 80 million + barrels of oil on this planet , we also burnt a massive amount of coal & gas , several hundred million cows farted and so did I .

And I am sorry but we will all play our part to do it again today , tommorow , this time next week & this time next year.

And this is why we all need to do our bit to eliminate fossil fuel burning. (Cows farting, by the way, is irrelevant, just part of the natural carbon cycle.)

Give yourself a break from worrying about the end of the world , yes there are chances things could get worse

I think it is certain that things will get worse, and so does most of the scientific community.

but honestly do we the population of shetland (wind farm or not) have any chance of averting global catastrophe ?

Not on our own, no. But as part of a concentrated global effort we can mitigate the worst effects. And before you say "Nobody else is doing anything", we have to start somewhere and what's wrong with being the first? Why should China even start when the West is doing nothing. China may be the worlds biggest greenhouse gas emitter today but 90% of the Co2 currently in the atmosphere was emitted by the West.

In any case what exactly is it that makes you so cast iron sure all this science is 100% accurate ?

I challenge you to find one single peer reviewed article which says climate change isn't happening.

The last piece you hit us with and i will state it here again said that co2 levels had remained static for ABOUT 600,000 YEARS & PROBABLY MILLIONS OF YEARS BEFORE THAT .

Now why do you put such fanatical blind faith into the accuracy of global warming theory when they can use figures ranging from 600,000 years to several million during which they THINK co2 levels remained kinda static. and still not explain how ice ages grew and retreated during the same time frame.

Because the ice ages were not caused by changes in levels of Co2, they were caused by something called the Milankovitch cycle which is a periodic change in the orbit and inclination of the Earth. On the subject of steady Co2 levels, I think that last article I posted was a little misleading. Co2 levels may have been steady on average but they have varied both up and down, for instance, during the "little ice age" they were up to 40ppm lower than the historical average. The problem today is that Co2 levels have almost doubled in less than 200 years, something which is unheard of at least since the time of the dinosaurs.

The way in which you seize onto this theories with such unquestionable faith makes you come across as the kind of person who in other times would have been running around the countryside burning witches.

Oooh, now that one really cuts, I base my belief on science which is basically measuring the world and making predictions using known natural laws to attempt to forecast the future. It is NOT based on faith. When you measure something with a ruler, do you believe the ruler? Scientists just use more sophisticated "rulers".

In fact I was once like you and worried about how we had to halt this dreaded warming , but after looking at the whole thing realistically , i came to the conclusion that what is going to happen will happen

The thing is it doesn't have to be as bad as predicted. If we act now we can still avoid the worst effects. It maybe won't make much difference to us, but it will make a difference to our grandchildren. If you want to have them live in and enjoy Shetland the way we do then we must act. The small sacrifice necessary to build the windfarm will help ensure the climate remains something close to what we currently enjoy and the income from the windfarm will go some way to making up for the closure of Sullom.

And I am for clean energy put in place in as cleanly as possible and that is why i am against what they currently plan for these Islands.

We must replace our fossil fuel based generating capacity. It is impossible to do this without any environmental disturbance whatsoever. If we insist on waiting for the perfect solution to come along then nothing will be done and we all go to hell to the chorus of our grandchildren's curses for the environmentally devastated world we've left them. This problem is urgent and we have a maximum of 30 years to sort it. We MUST act NOW. :shock:

If science suggested that reducing the human population back down to 2 billion may help avert the possible enviromental catastrophe would you go for that ?

Of course not, but the fact that the population is forecast to rise to 9.5billion before it begins to fall just makes things all the more urgent.

I realise we will probably never agree on this, droilker, but it is something I do feel passionately about. The inaction of governments, especially the Bush regime, is something which really boils my piss, this windfarm could have and should have been built 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think we have another 10 years to waste.

But I cant see them having a game of picking short straws at the united nations.

^^^

not necessary

George W nukes China - China nukes him back - 3 billion dead - nuclear winter - climate change problem solved - Viking Energy bankrupt - baled oot by Charitable Trust - aabody happy?

not necessary

George W nukes China - China nukes him back - 3 billion dead - nuclear winter - climate change problem solved - Viking Energy bankrupt - baled oot by Charitable Trust - aabody happy?

Not really, because after the nuclear winter (2-10 years), you get the nuclear summer (up to 100 years), but don't get me started... :wink: :shock: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

not if there is an unatural amount of cows then it is not part of the natural cycle. you are detached from reality though your intentions are good but to use G.W as an argument for the V.E PLAN Is crap.

Guest Anonymous

Man made climate change MIGHT be true , I honestly dont know.

These days we are fed a constant propaganda on the subject through the television , media etc.

My own belief is that this is just an alternitive way to prepare the masses for the eventual reduction in the availibility of fossil fuel which will occur in the close future.

I am sure we can agree on lots of issues regarding humans effect on the world we live in but i think it is naive in the extreme to believe that we are going to fix the climate changing , it is going to do what it is going to do as it always has.