Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

If the EU was farmed efficiently instead of for political ends, a vast number of people could be effectively fed - the same goes for many other parts of the world. Then again, there all these morons with their 30 mile diet - the same people who believe this, then buy crap from all over the world - it applies to others but not them.

And to see all these solutions involving governments and protectionism! Wow, what an amazing concept - an international agreement to limit the amount of land utilised for raising livestock - gimme a break.

An explanation for all this paranoia?

Eating veggies shrinks the brain

MELBOURNE: Scientists have discovered that going veggie could be bad for your brain-with those on a meat-free diet six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage.

Vegans and vegetarians are the most likely to be deficient because the best sources of the vitamin are meat, particularly liver, milk and fish. Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause anaemia and inflammation of the nervous system. Yeast extracts are one of the few vegetarian foods which provide good levels of the vitamin.

The link was discovered by Oxford University scientists who used memory tests, physical checks and brain scans to examine 107 people between the ages of 61 and 87.

When the volunteers were retested five years later the medics found those with the lowest levels of vitamin B12 were also the most likely to have brain shrinkage. It confirms earlier research showing a link between brain atrophy and low levels of B12.

Brain scans of more than 1,800 people found that people who downed 14 drinks or more a week had 1.6% more brain shrinkage than teetotallers. Women in their seventies were the most at risk.

Beer does less damage than wine according to a study in Alcohol and Alcoholism.

Researchers found that the hippocampus-the part of the brain that stores memories - was 10% smaller in beer drinkers than those who stuck to wine.

And being overweight or obese is linked to brain loss, Swedish researchers discovered. Scans of around 300 women found that those with brain shrink had an average body mass index of 27 And for every one point increase in their BMI the loss rose by 13 to 16%.

I cannot see any possibility whatsoever of reductions in livestock around the world as demand is soaring in Asia and China and other places, because these countries are demanding Western Style Diets, ie,all the huge takeaway conglomarates.

The main problem of Global Warming and World wide pollution is the ever increasing Human Population spiraling out of control and consuming all in it's path.The population of England alone set to reach 70 million i believe in 50 yrs time, the place is already one big bloody car park.

The population growth needs slowing down, how? who knows but stopping familys having more than 3 kids would help, but that really starts people off, especially those of a very religous nature who seem to want huge extended Victorianesque familys.

We have all got to show some responsibilitys, if the Human race wants to last the next thousand years.

Unless Apotheis slams into us first that is !!!

I cannot see any possibility whatsoever of reductions in livestock around the world as demand is soaring in Asia and China and other places, because these countries are demanding Western Style Diets, ie,all the huge takeaway conglomarates.

The main problem of Global Warming and World wide pollution is the ever increasing Human Population spiraling out of control and consuming all in it's path.The population of England alone set to reach 70 million i believe in 50 yrs time, the place is already one big bloody car park.

The population growth needs slowing down, how? who knows but stopping familys having more than 3 kids would help, but that really starts people off, especially those of a very religous nature who seem to want huge extended Victorianesque familys.

We have all got to show some responsibilitys, if the Human race wants to last the next thousand years.

Unless Apotheis slams into us first that is !!!

I agree about the demand for meat. The only thing that is likely to slow that down are food shortages, famines and spiralling prices or to put it another way, the "invisible hand" of the market. The tragedy is that this will involve the mass starvation of millions to make it happen. It's just such a pity that we can't act before that happens and save all the suffering.

As far as the overpopulation problem is concerned, until the major world religions can be convinced to abandon their insane opposition to contraception and family planning there is little that can be practically done to solve the problem without draconian infringements of human rights imposed by overwhelming force, and we have seen how successful that has been in Iraq and Afghanistan where all we tried to do was change their Governments. Heaven help us if we tried to change their religion!

The appalling thing about the whole situation is that we know what has to be done. We can see the problems coming, yet, because of the blinkered, narrow-minded opposition of a few (admittedly powerful) special interest groups, nothing will be done until millions are dead.

But, of course, that doesn't matter because God loves you, really. :evil: :x :cry:

Quite agree AT, the next 50 to 100 years i think is going to be make or break time for the Human race as regards getting prioritys right .

All the rich nations of the world must really deep down be loving Global Warming, all those Stealth green taxes, the opening up of the NW passage, and the future oil rush into the Artic, the UK going ahead with new coal mines without putting carbon capture methods in place first.

Arthur Scargill for the new Labour leader?!!

Can't see the Western Civilisation cutting back at all, going back to the stone age isn't on the Agenda.

The gov hasn't even worked out how to dispose of Energy light bulbs yet. NO HOPE.

• 2 weeks later...

So dan..............There is global warming on Mars!!

Who can we blame for that? no cars, no cows, no humans.

Maybe its the mars rover we sent thats heating the place up. :lol:

Maybe we should send some windmills over there :roll:

Personally I blame the tories

Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/Joel-Salatin-Interview.aspx

"Perhaps because it’s such a hot topic, let me address the cow-global warming argument. Every bit of the alleged science linking methane and cows to global warming is predicated on annual cropping, feedlots and herbivore abuse. It all crumbles if the production model becomes like our mob-stocking-herbivorous-solar-conversion-lignified-carbon-sequestration fertilization. America has traded 73 million bison requiring no petroleum, machinery or fertilizer for 45 million beef cattle, and we think we’re efficient. Here at Polyface, we practice biomimicry and have returned to those lush, high organic matter production models of the native herbivores.If every cow producer in the country would use this model, in less than 10 years we would sequester all the carbon that’s been emitted since the beginning of the industrial age. It’s really that simple. Without question, grass-finished, mob-stocked beef is the most efficacious way to heal the planet. We should drastically drop our chicken and pork consumption and return to our indigenous, climate-appropriate protein source: perennial forages turned into red meat and milk."

Take a look at this article, and this is a so called goverment who says we have got to cut carbon emmissions by 80% by 2050! :wink:

But before any decisions on that can be taken, they have to fly to at least a dozen more meetings to discuss it, and publish a few more proposals, and policy documents... And by then it's time for the next elections, and who would dare upset potential voters with anything as drastic as encouragement to use less energy? :roll:

A very good article on meat and its contribution (or not) to GHG in the latest Ecologist. I've always been wanting to find out how much meat we could produce, let's say just in Scotland, if we only used the land and food waste that can't be used for anything else; it's what they call default livestock farming in that article.

http://www.theecologist.co.uk/pages/archive_detail.asp?content_id=1962

(The full article is so far only in the paper copy.)

Finally, the government (or at least their advisor's) seem to be taking things seriously :

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/uk-should-cut-greenhouse-gases-by-80-per-cent-953797.html

The UK should cut its greenhouse gas emissions by at least 80 per cent by mid-century, the Government's climate change committee recommended today....

... The committee said meeting the target would require improvements in energy efficiency and "decarbonisation" of power, transport and heating.

This would include measures such as replacing fossil fuels with renewables, nuclear new build and carbon capture and storage technology, introducing hydrogen vehicles and electric cars, and the introduction of technology such as ground source heat pumps to heat homes.

Most moronic thing is not simply reminding us that if we all just boil the kettle one less time per day, that will more than offset the effects of a new open cast mine :D

How ironic, considering a large part of the reason global warming was invented as a policy was to help Maggie break the miners unions back in the day. I seriously doubt the powers that be realised just how far the idea would run.

How ironic, considering a large part of the reason global warming was invented as a policy was to help Maggie break the miners unions back in the day. I seriously doubt the powers that be realised just how far the idea would run.

That's a good one. :roll: Global warming was invented by Maggie to get the miners? Oh, (slaps head) it's all so clear now, all those wasted words. Spinner, oh great prophet pray enlighten me with more of your infinite wisdom. Where are the WMD's? What really crashed at Roswell? What happened aboard the Mary Celeste? Who killed Kennedy? Where did Hitler hide the ...........

Alas, if only it were true.