What to do with old record collection?

Frances144

I had this brilliant idea to sell my record collection on Ebay, one record at a time, and make a fortune out my old vinyl (vintage stuff 1975 onwards).

I looked up alot of my old lp's on Ebay just to see the general price and they are worth sausage all - £1.50 at most, a few maybe £5.00 but nothing stupendous.

So, the question is do I sell them a record at a time - could take for ages, or give them all to Save the Children (sorry Oxfam), or put them back under the stairs from whence they came and wait until the world is ready to pay me a shed load for my lovely vinyl?

Thanks

Fx

What i would do is this: make a list of them (preferably excel based) and then buy a copy of 'record collector' mag. Go through some of the records and look for any really good groups, unusual features (i.e. picture disc or extra tracks, etc). You never know, 99% may only be worth £1.50 but one may be worth £1,000!!

Doe the records belong to any particular genre or are they biased towards a certain group? For example, original Beatles records can be worth a fair bit as can Hendrix, etc. Basically if the record is original 1st pressing, from a reputable group or one with a hardcore or cult following they may be worth a bit.

Well, now I re-visit it from under the stairs, I am sure if you were a bonafide rocker you would toss your hair and laugh at me!

Anywho, partner (who is a genuine rocker) has a rare limited edition Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues, Rauschenburg with 3 revolving disk!

I have various singles and lps including Alan Parsons (old stuff), Al Stewart, Chris de Burgh (oh, the shame!), David Bowie, War of the worlds, Falco Rock me Amadeus 12", Aha 12" single...... to name just some.

Tell you what I will write out a list on Excel and pm it to anyone who is interested.

Also, I have a Michell Mycro turntable, Proac speakers, Sugden Amp 98T and a Yamaha KX-393 to sell.

Anyone interested?

Not really, downgraded to iPod and JBL speakers and smallest house in the world.

I also realised that I never actually use any of it so my rule is "if you don't use it for over a year, off it goes". (this does not apply to animals, children or partners!).

So, anyone interested. I am making my list.....

Is the vinyl and covers in near mint condition? Most collectors aren't interested otherwise, unless it's a particularly hard to find pressing or 'complete' collection (i.e. all first pressings of a band/artists singles and LPs)

I used to buy and sell a lot of 2nd hand vinyl, but common/popular/chart LPs aren't worth the vinyl they're printed on :wink: . I'd imagine you'll have a job shifting Falco, Chris De Burgh and Aha

If you make up a list, give me a PM

Come to think of it, if anyone is interested in particular LPs or bands, drop me a line and I'll see if I have it (mostly 70s rock, 90s indie, hip-hop and 40s/50s/60s jazz. Too many to make up a list though). I could do with shedding a few pounds of shellac.