The Merits of Wife Buying

BigMouth

Dad used to ask Mum to pop down to the shop for a couple of Russians for his snap. To those not familiar with Yorkshire-speak of 30 odd years ago this meant asking Mum to pick up a couple of his favourite cakes for his lunch pack. Russians were cakes made from the previous day's stale sponge chopped up and soaked in sherry (I think) reformed into a cuboid with a strip of soft icing along the top.

These days popping out for a couple of Russians probably means a trip overseas to pick up a wife.

I am not in the market for buying a wife but I wondered if anyone had any anecdotal evidence of why men buy their wives abroad and which countries give the best value for money. Are they any more or less trouble than a British alternative and where do they excel and fail? How do the bought wives fit in up here and how do they cope with the stigma that can be attached to this sort of practice?

In my naivete I had originally assumed that perhaps the buyers found the local female populace too hideous to contend with, far from my view I hasten to add, but having seen some of the buyers I realise my error :wink:

Can i just stick a diplomatic oar in here and say that seeking a life-partner from overseas and financing her entry to the UK may not be quite the same as "wife-buying". I fear that some may take offence at that expression being used as it is not, under basic civil rights law,technically the case.

Can we assume for sake of discussion that an element of political correctness can be maintained.

Can i just stick a diplomatic oar in here and say that seeking a life-partner from overseas and financing her entry to the UK may not be quite the same as "wife-buying". I fear that some may take offence at that expression being used as it is not, under basic civil rights law,technically the case.

Can we assume for sake of discussion that an element of political correctness can be maintained.

Always asking the difficult questions :D

I am always amazed by the speed in which you can seek and find a life partner from a foreign country compared to locally. It's nice that they keep them all together in a "catalogue" in foreign countries.

That's what you "heard" when researching a page entitled "Russian Brides Cyber Guide", yeah?

:wink:

On that Dom Joly’s Happy Hour show on sky one, they met a women who explained that Russian men had their pick of the prettiest girls, as all the "good men" had been lost to various wars over the generations, which is why many of the remaining guys (presumably the offspring of those men who were unable to hold a gun) are a bit, er, strange lookin'...

In my naivete I had originally assumed that perhaps the buyers found the local female populace too hideous to contend with, far from my view I hasten to add, but having seen some of the buyers I realise my error :wink:

Indeed, I think it's more a case of the female populace rejecting the 'buyers'................. :lol:

Indeed, I think it's more a case of the female populace rejecting the 'buyers'.................

Nae wonder when ridiculous things like this are floatin about:

which countries give the best value for money. Are they any more or less trouble than a British alternative and where do they excel and fail?

It's not cars we're talking about here!

You canna speak like that about individual people!

Oooh I can think of lots of reasons... i.e

* Because the women would be more compliant as they then get to come to the UK... so will tow the line in order to stay here...

* Because they want something different....

* Because they want a slave.. so they buy a wife so that she will be grateful and therefore his PROPERTY?

*Because UK women CANT BE BOUGHT?

:D :D Who knows... its each to their own as far as I can see... But you also have to think about the fat, ugly and one eyed.... :wink:

And what about husband buying??????

which countries give the best value for money. Are they any more or less trouble than a British alternative and where do they excel and fail?

It's not cars we're talking about here!

You canna speak like that about individual people!

I would certainly agree that people are not commodities.

I haven't mentioned any individuals. I am merely interested in how the system works, whether it is successful, and how the individuals fair here in Shetland. Not a million miles from where they come from geographically, but it must seem like this in the culture we have in the UK compared to theirs at home. As I have mentioned previously, the success with which someone can meet and find a "life-partner" abroad is no less than amazing.

My hope is that we get someone in that situation putting forward their experience. It may be that the woman finds the situation hugely advantageous having come from a country in poverty to the wealth that we have here in Shetland. I would imagine that the people who can afford to go to foreign climes in search of a life partner may be living a better than average lifestyle here. I am just curious to understand to understand the situation, especially how it must feel to be so far from home.

Oooh I can think of lots of reasons... i.e

* Because the women would be more compliant as they then get to come to the UK... so will tow the line in order to stay here...

* Because they want something different....

* Because they want a slave.. so they buy a wife so that she will be grateful and therefore his PROPERTY?

*Because UK women CANT BE BOUGHT?

:D :D Who knows... its each to their own as far as I can see... But you also have to think about the fat, ugly and one eyed.... :wink:

And what about husband buying??????

Mmm, interesting thoughts DS3. It all sounds a bit negative to me. I was hoping for something more positive.

I hope that I won't offend anyone's sensibilities here but although you can't buy a UK woman, I understand that there is a section of the population that can be rented by the hour - it's the oldest profession :o

Then again I rent myself out by the hour too - although mine is to my employer in a legal arrangement :D

I know of 3 blokes that have married Russian's. They are all friends, the 1st met his wife through his work, and then the wife introduced 2 of her friends to 2 of his friends, and they ended up married.

The 2nd bloke to get married had never had a girlfriend and was in his late 30's. While I wouldn't want to comment on the reasons why they married, I have my theories (he couldn't get a girlfriend and she wanted to come to Britian - maybe I'm cynical!).

I joke that the 3rd bloke wanted someone to wash his socks and make his tea!

On a serious note, they all seemed happy when they got together. They may all have had different reasons for getting married, but it seemed to work.

I haven't seen them for a few years (they don't live/have any connection with Shetland), so don't know things worked out for them.

On a serious note, they all seemed happy when they got together. They may all have had different reasons for getting married, but it seemed to work.

Ah ha! I was convinced that I would hear this sooner or later. This should help those that struggle with any perceived problems of morality.