Drink drivers

Sudden Stop

As the festive season is upon us again, the police will not doubt start their anti-drink driving checks again soon and the Shetland Times is probably already making space for all the conviction reports. Looking across at the Shetland News part of this site there is already two clowns who thought they were above the law, and there is usually a constant flow of people in the court throughout the year.

Drink driving has claimed lives on Shetland's roads and it's only a matter of time before someone else is killed. Increasing the fines and length of driving bans doesn't seem to be working as a deterrent. Custodial sentences would only contribute to prison overcrowding.

What do you think is the answer?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ban them forever from driving. That will scare everyone into not doing it.

Also, make it an offence if there is any alcohol in the body. I reckon some folk don't realise how little it takes to be able to drink drive.

If I'm driving I won't even take a sip - because for me that would probably put me over the limit.

Excuse me if this sounds patronising, but that is a little naive. It is not unknown for regular drink-drivers knocking around these parts to have never have had a licence in the first place, let alone be scared of losing them.

Excuse me if this sounds patronising, but that is a little naive. It is not unknown for regular drink-drivers knocking around these parts to have never have had a licence in the first place, let alone be scared of losing them.

Its a start though.

Well in that case you get the big fines and jail out.

But everyone knows drink driving is wrong. Everyone knows it's stupid. It would serve them right.

A lot of these fines are paid in installments anyway aren't they. Paying a tenner a month isn't a life changing punishment.

Conviscate and crush the vehicle, give them a big fine and lock them up. AND after they are released after half their sentence, give the some community service.

Sound excessive? Possibly. I can't think of anything less to include besides putting them in the stocks on the market cross, but people aren't put off by the current sentences...

I don't think a life ban is a practical solution in most cases, apart from punishing persistent offenders.

I know several people who have been just over the bag 'the morning after' who would never consider drink driving on a night out. It is probably fair to say they were stupid to be driving so soon after drinking but the speed at which an individuals system is cleared of alcohol depends on a number of factors.

I seem to think that in Norway, the fine applied is something like 10% of the offender's annual income, plus along ban, but not too sure of the details.

Minimum 2 year ban plus 21 days in prison. 10-15% of annual income as fine. Zero tolerance.(well, the legal amount of alcohol is so low that one sip could put you over the limit.) It is possible to lose licence for life if offence is considered more serious. People still do it though.

You can get in car breathalysers for a very low price. I think everyone should have one.

Where do you get them Mario?

I think everyone should have them too. That would weed out the sort of folk Peerie Bryan is speaking about who are accidently over the limit on a one off occasion. Then they could seriously up the penalty.

Make 'em go and shadow a nurse in Casualty (mainland) for a Friday night! or go to a morgue. Really, once you have been there, you re-assess your priorities very swiftly.

I agree!........shock treatment to change behaviour might seem harsh but it has to be worth trying as long as it does not get in the way of people trying to save lives.

Maybe we also need to recognise the difference between someone who genuinely did not mean to be over the limit and someone who just did not care.

As for being breathalysed by your car before you drive I saw something about that on tv very recently. Vancouver Canada I think. Car would not let you start off on your journey if you were over the drink drive limit and it would also test you every so often just in case you were drinking as you drove.

There is of course another side to all this. Alternatives to drink driving. More late night transport, cheaper taxis, more good local watering holes. As part of an overall strategy towards safer drinking.