Shetland Fitba AGM

spencey7

Hello all,

Efter seein' da Shetland Times aboot da proposals for "loan players" nixt season I wus winderin' if anybody wus at da meeting da idder night? Whit wus said/argued aboot/ignored/decided?

Im wan o da players dat will be back for at least pert o nixt simmer tae play fur Yell, but even wi all wir students hom wir pool o players is still only goin' tae be aboot 14 at best, which Im sure everybody agrees is madness fur attemptin' tae play in da A league.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the Unst players and management can't be that short sighted that they cannot see that neither would be able to sustain a Premier League side even over a short period. But take the best from both isles and that would help.

For Unst's mananger to say that there in nothing in Unst that would strenghten his team is absoultelt ludicrous indeed.

But dat's whit wir stuck wi. An' it's Unst's short-sightedness dat is gettin' Yell all da stick fur dis ludicrous situation.

Currently we have 10 players in Yell, an' (despite John's statements in da paper) a maximum of three comin' back ower da summer fur more dan a few weeks. Der are 2 players who are in da Merchant Navy an' der's no way o tellin' when dey'll be back, or for how long. Add tae dat da fact dat at least wan player canna mak it tae every game becis o der wark, an' da SFA is askin' Yell tae compete in da A League wi a squad o aroond 14. Da age range of which runs fae 15-year-olds up tae grand old statesmen of 26.

Loan players will mak very little difference tae dis, although dat may have already been ruled oot?

I think it is clear to eveybody that Yell will not be able to compete in the A league and a result for them will be keeping the scores below double figures, and to be honest I cannot see Unst doing that well either. Although they do have the advantage that teams may have to go to Unst with weakened teams as mainland based players do not like to travel. And for this reason also I cannot see the loan system working to well, although you may find some really dedicated guys willing to travel to play football. What is more likely in my opinion is that they will play works league.

As for the Unst's managers point of view about Yell not strengthening them is ludicrous. On a few occassions we have heard him moaning about not having strength in depth and the problems of injuries. Would extra numbers from Yell not help that?? Ironically, Unst would have been unable to fulfil its B league fixture against Yell last season due to injury and unavailable players. What did Yell do in this situation??? Well they bent over backwards to get the game played on an alternative date, despite the association rules not wanting this to happen, rather than take a meaningless 3 points for Unst's no show.

Also was in not the case that one of Yell's two wins last season came against a full strength Unst team???

Give them there due Unst are the better performers of the two but to say that Yell would not strengthen Unst kind of sums up the attitude of certain people in Unst!

I think it is clear to eveybody that Yell will not be able to compete in the A league and a result for them will be keeping the scores below double figures, and to be honest I cannot see Unst doing that well either. Although they do have the advantage that teams may have to go to Unst with weakened teams as mainland based players do not like to travel. And for this reason also I cannot see the loan system working to well, although you may find some really dedicated guys willing to travel to play football. What is more likely in my opinion is that they will play works league.

As for the Unst's managers point of view about Yell not strengthening them is ludicrous. On a few occassions we have heard him moaning about not having strength in depth and the problems of injuries. Would extra numbers from Yell not help that?? Ironically, Unst would have been unable to fulfil its B league fixture against Yell last season due to injury and unavailable players. What did Yell do in this situation??? Well they bent over backwards to get the game played on an alternative date, despite the association rules not wanting this to happen, rather than take a meaningless 3 points for Unst's no show.

Also was in not the case that one of Yell's two wins last season came against a full strength Unst team???

Give them there due Unst are the better performers of the two but to say that Yell would not strengthen Unst kind of sums up the attitude of certain people in Unst!

We played Unst three times last season and won, drew an' lost. I consider it tae always be a good game when we play dem, but seemingly certain folk in Unst just view it as a walkower.... Im no goin' tae "bite" at der managers comment in dis week's paper though, da only person who it's made look stupid is him.

Wus anybody on here at da AGM tae hear da result o da "loan players" proposal?

Tae be honest Im no sure whit da best result fur Yell's upcomin' season wid be. Annider year in da B League tae let da team get a year older, an' hopefully recruit more dedicated players? Dan annider attempt at formin' Northern Rovers fur 2008?

no idea about the loan players thing but i cant see it happening as Celtic struggle for a team at start of season due to the fact that most of their players are away at uni, plus thistle have lost about 6 senior players from last season so are now down to about 12 seniors.

so its not likely they will loan any players, im not sure if any of the squads have big enough pools to loan yell players. i mind going to watch delting playing burra in cup last year and john twin was playing centre half for delting, so think they were even a bit bare squad wise last season.

Shetland senior football is very quickly approaching a state of disrepair. The truth of the matter is that few actually care now what happens. It is a terrible prospect for any interested juvenile footballer in the islands that senior football is beginning to resemble under 9's style football.

Shetland senior football is very quickly approaching a state of disrepair. The truth of the matter is that few actually care now what happens. It is a terrible prospect for any interested juvenile footballer in the islands that senior football is beginning to resemble under 9's style football.

That's a complete joke Gaffer. The under-9s have a great structure in place. :lol:

It's an absolute disgrace.

The attitude of the SFA just seems to be "ignore the doubters until they go away". Thanks to them - unless something dramatic is done very soon - Yell FC will cease to exist in the not-too-distant future. Is that the sort of "progress" that's supposed to be being made with this restructure?

I just don't get a major point in this debate.

If Yell, Unst or any other side can get 11 on the park for the B league why can't they get 11 on the park for a league with a different name?

There will certainly be a split between the sides in the league, just like the EPL. Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal split from the rest around now and we can name those who will wallow around the bottom two places at the start of the season.

In fact the SPL is almost a mirror of what will happen in Shetland next summer

Celtic (read Delting)

Two or three more sides (Aberdeen, Whalsay, Hearts, LK Celtic, Scalloway), you choose.

Then the mid table lot from Kilmarnock, Whitedale, Rangers, LK Thistle, HIbs etc.

Then the lot at the foot from St Mirren, Unst, Dunfermline, Yell, Burra etc.

It is the same in almost every league is it not?

If Yell, Unst or any other side can get 11 on the park for the B league why can't they get 11 on the park for a league with a different name?

Yell regularly can't get 11 players on da pitch fur a league game. Last season (when we were supposedly at "full strength") we hed tae on occasion rely on 14-year-olds tae make up wir team. Da season before last we played wir last two games o da season wi 8 and 9 players respectively. How can a squad lik dat be expected tae play three times as many games dis season against da best teams in Shetland?

Wheesht - I wid have towt du wid appreciate da fact dat a squad strugglin' tae get 11 players on a pitch is hardly ideally equipped fur a full A League season.

Da only thing it will achieve is tae discourage any young players we have, who are CRUCIAL tae da continuation o fitba on da isle. Dat's a cold, hard fact. Whit da SFA don't seem tae realise is dat dey can't just force teams tae play at an unrealistic level, it's no goin' tae benefit anybody. Whit do Delting get oot o beatin' wis 15-0?