Shetland Fitba AGM

spencey7

spencey7!!

I know you were away in NZ and were clearly not at the meeting but your clubs representitive was!! I have already stated the facts.

I should perhaps point out that the meeting being held was an emergency meeting where if no agreement had been met It was clearly stated that there would be no organised SFA football in shetland. A years consultation had already passed.

I'm sorry it happened too but to attempt to put any criticism towards the Unst and Burra reps is very ill informed as anyone present will tell you.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on again VictorandJack!

I just wish you were in control of Shetland FA.

The Shetland FA should have left things as it was and tried to get more games for the Shetland Team down south at a higher level.

Eg try and join the Highland League.

Mind you the Rugby team is finding it difficult to get a team at times.

Shetland did well at the Games but I suspect that apart from beating a very poor Orkney side every year it will be a while until another high.

Spency7, I am sorry if you do not like what I said, I was just being honest.

Please try to calm down and not let your heart rule your head.

Victorand jack, I agree with your comments.

What do people think about delting being made to form 2 teams this would even it out for other teams and make the competition more exciting and enjoyable. They have plenty of players surely it could be arranged.

You can't force Delting tae split any more dan you can force Unst and Yell tae merge.

I agree with the points about Delting, you couldn't forcibly split them up. Anyway how would it be split? Apart fae the obvious scandal over a certain player last year, i think Delts hav to be commended for basing their success on boys that have played all their careers for Delting. They show the way forward. Their excess players already play for Delting B and i believe others play for the Wrultizers. If any reserves did want to play A's then it would be good to see some o there players join a side like Yell and help them out. But of course, it's their own choice.

Spency i greatly sympathise with your predicament and sorry if i offend the Unst contingent I would like to see an Northern Rovers team at senior level. If they both have teams where boys are still playing junior and juvenile could they not combine the senior players into one side, not let their younger players carry too much responsibility in their respective sides.

Or can u not say Unst = Northern Rovers A, play all games at Baltasound etc. then Yell = Northern Rovers B, mid-Yell home games. Both sides could play in the league they prefer and keep the sides seperate. But it would still leave the possibility open if either side was short to draft in a couple o players from the neighbouring isle to help out.

Is it really all about the name 'UNST' or getting all the Unst boys to play in the same side?

Your getting closer to the mark stoichkov.

Your point about Deltings success being related to their players wanting to play their "careers" with Delting is accurate. Nobody really wants to go and play for another club.

You are also accurate regarding the Unst players wanting to play in the same team, not "strictly" Unst. They clearly have a strong unit which has performed above expectations.

(The people of Unst do understand the problems of a dropping population)

Also, the venue for matches is a huge stumbling block. Everyone in unst wants their home matches in Baltasound. Something which causes problems for the SFA when setting fixtures. Hence the reason so many would not be sad to see the end of Unst FC.

It is a shame the panel who spent a year devising the new associaion etc took the attitude that "someone may have to be sacrificed". Quote from one member of the panel.

Spot on yet again VictorandJack.

One of the main problems is Unst wants to play their home games in Baltasound.

Why should they give up their home games?

Unst- Northern Rovers A and Yell- Northern Rovers B is just possible but what will happen to the B League next year?

Who would run the teams?

It would help both teams for players.

The name is not the end all!

"Someone may have to be sacrificed " was a quote that I was also told.

So much for Shetlands sence of fair Play!

Spot on yet again VictorandJack.

One of the main problems is Unst wants to play their home games in Baltasound.

Why should they give up their home games?

Unst- Northern Rovers A and Yell- Northern Rovers B is just possible but what will happen to the B League next year?

Who would run the teams?

It would help both teams for players.

The name is not the end all!

"Someone may have to be sacrificed " was a quote that I was also told.

So much for Shetlands sence of fair Play!

That's absolutely incredible, I'd never heard that quote before.

I know that the Yell boys wouldn't mind playing some Northern Rovers games in Unst, and some in Yell. It would certainly make the fixtures easier to organise.

I totally respect the fact that Unst want to remain a unit (Who doesn't? - We're the same but are realistic that Northern Rovers are a more viable long-term option for both islands), but I believe that's the only real argument against Rovers.

The management? That could be sorted out. Bitter rivalries are nowhere near what they used to be.

The combined funding issue? Surely that's workable.

The home matches? Yell and Unst would both host games.

The phone bill to arrange matches? .....

I know a panel studied shetland football and had the Scottish FA Rep up last year but I think a more practical approach has to be adopted. The previous format suited the vast majority of players allowing all communities to complete at some level. It could not have been too far off the mark.

The main issue was the lack of top division teams and lack of players wanting to play in that league. The best way to increase these numbers is to develop players at juvenile level.

Consultation with the JuniorSFA must be stepped up to increase the number of JUNIOR players, provide more coaching, help players make the transition from junior to senior football, attract volunteers and provide the necessary funding.

The current JSFA do a fantastic job but I am sure would be glad of any assistance. I am sure the knock on affect will be significant.

I think thats very true. Maybe not the standard but certainly the numbers are dropping by the time players move up to under 18's. When was the last time Scalloway or Whitedale had an U 18's side? Hopefully more boys can be encouraged to carry on past U14 & U16 level, allowing as many players as possible to be availible at senior level, irrispective of ability.

Baxter, Delting split into two separate teams? Are you having a laugh? Thats' the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while!

Deltings' success has not just come about over night, it's taken years of voluntary work throughout the parish to create the team that takes the park now!

As for the fixtures problems regarding Unst can anyone tell me what the plans are as there are clearly not enough saturdays in an already short season to host all their games?

I still think Unst are being shortsighted in their approach. they WILL lose players to injury, suspension and to the Junior County, having the option to bring in boys fron Yell would surely benefit them in times like these!

The discussion on spliting Delting was so ridiculous that i was going to refrain from commenting on it. Utterly ridiculous. Finished.

As far as i know Unst will play their games on saturday afternoons and monday for cup games. Likely scenario is that there will be a fixture pile up as there will be 18 league games plus a minimum of 10 cup games. Throw a few parish cup games which it must be remembered is not part of SFA therefore no SFA games will be cancelled to accomodate this, hey presto. Chaos. Season must be finished by 2nd/3rd saturday in september as County Sheild is traditionally last game of season.