Shetland Fitba AGM

spencey7

Too true spency7. I also fear that the current situation is also a big reason why so many of the better senior players in Shetland are becoming so disinterested in playing. The standard last season was quite poor, Delting and Whalsay aside, and in my humble opinion is only set to get worse. We should be doing everything we can to encourage young footballers to play, something which the current SFA (by which i mean all clubs and elected members) do not seem to realise.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to say, i don't see whats so bad about loaning players. but thats coming from a juvenile players point of view.

loans are great for getting someone who is maybe not a frist team pick for there side, out to get full games and a respectible place in a needier team, also to get a name for themselves and show there manager what there capible of. From what ive gathered, its Yell really thats requiring players yea? well if i remeber it was saying that they would need about 4-5 places till summer. theres obviously going to be more than 5 players in the SFA who arn't first team abilty for there club, this is because of the lack of games and switchin from A team to B team etc... but if they were on loan it would be alot easier for them as they'd most probably know what part they were playing in the team.

the SPL is almost a mirror of what will happen in Shetland next summer

Celtic (read Delting)

Two or three more sides (Aberdeen, Whalsay, Hearts, LK Celtic, Scalloway), you choose.

Then the mid table lot from Kilmarnock, Whitedale, Rangers, LK Thistle, HIbs etc.

Then the lot at the foot from St Mirren, Unst, Dunfermline, Yell, Burra etc.

It is the same in almost every league is it not?

that is the same in every league but in our system the bottom ones stay the bottom ones, and as they stay bottom there base of player selection begins to fade just as what will happen to Yell. in a few seasons they will not even have a team competing in ANY senior league OR they will be forced to play U14s & U16s teams as the seniors, meaning some players will be playing for 3 different clubs a week. and in the end they will just give up and what will be left? the memory of the team that stuck in, and in even when they couldn't make a full team or the SFA who caused the forced the team to its death? :lol: (a bit too far) but yea ofcourse it will be the commitee who chose for them to carry on struggling.

that is the same in every league but in our system the bottom ones stay the bottom ones, and as they stay bottom there base of player selection begins to fade just as what will happen to Yell. in a few seasons they will not even have a team competing in ANY senior league OR they will be forced to play U14s & U16s teams as the seniors, meaning some players will be playing for 3 different clubs a week. and in the end they will just give up and what will be left? the memory of the team that stuck in, and in even when they couldn't make a full team or the SFA who caused the forced the team to its death? :lol: (a bit too far) but yea ofcourse it will be the commitee who chose for them to carry on struggling.

Well put. But I expect dat da point will be met with teetotal silence - Exactly as it has done every time Yell have tried tae make it.

The problem as I see it Spency7 is that there is great difficulty bending rules to suit individual clubs. That is why they ended up with a "B" league with 11 sides and a top league with 6.

You cannot tell Ness United, Whitedale and Burra or Spurs Celtic or Scalloway they have to play in an A league and let Yell and Unst trundle along for ever more in the second division.

The problem is that a number of the teams, not just Yell, in the senior league do not have the population base available to sustain senior football on their own. The SFA should be addressing this but the truth is that very few care now. The ideal situation, in my opinion, is that a football club should have juvenile, junior and senior football under one umbrella as this is the only base that allows a sustainable and competitive league (ie juveniles preogress through the club up to senior level). At present Unst and Yell compete TOGETHER at juvenile level, Burra have no juvenile set up and Scalloway only have under 12's and 14's. Beats me how anyone thinks that these set ups are going to contribute any thing to senior football in the long term. In 5 years it will be back to 7 senior sides (that is if the lerwick teams continue, and there are doubts about at least 2 of the current sides).

The problem as I see it Spency7 is that there is great difficulty bending rules to suit individual clubs. That is why they ended up with a "B" league with 11 sides and a top league with 6.

You cannot tell Ness United, Whitedale and Burra or Spurs Celtic or Scalloway they have to play in an A league and let Yell and Unst trundle along for ever more in the second division.

So Yell Football Club should be sacrificed for the sake of the "big clubs". At the heart of the proposal, that's exactly what's being said. Anybody who thinks next season proposed restructure will do anything except damage football in the long run is kidding themselves, as well as being unbelievably short-sighted and ignorant.

Is Shetland football really in such a state that it needs reorganising anyway? It wasn't that long since we won gold in the Island Games.

and if it is then why not make two parallel leagues at the top that run, the better teams in league 1, and the not so good in league 2. and then at the end of it, say the top 4 teams from both leagues go through knockout stages eg. semi's, quater then the final. and that can decide whos won the league. meaning teams like Burra & Yell are competing in top flight football but will only have to face the really good teams if they do well, and if they do well they will be motivated to go on and try and win the league. This can be done while the B league is ongoing as a second tier without getting messed up.

You could even say 3 teams from the two parallel leagues and then have 2 from the B league compete also, which could make things interesting.

Disband the SFA and let them those who want join the works league, after all it is a wonderfully run and fantastically organised single tier league with no problems at all.

So dere!

Hear, Hear! But at the same time I hope there would still be room for those of us in our forties who still look forward to putting on the boots and taking part in 'the beautiful game'.

Funny how last year there was all the talk about integrating the Works League in with the 'big leagues' and yet I never saw any signs of interest in the Works League from anyone outwith those in the Works League itself when the matches actually took place. And I certainly never saw any articles or reports from Jim "Talking Sport" Tait in the Times after his preaching to the Works League that we should basically integrate for the good of Shetland football. All I can recall him saying during or after the season end was the obvious that Titans are too good for the Works League. It's also strange that the Works League is not even being mentioned this year when folk talk about the league proposals. Which is fine by me.

When will Unst see sense and realise that the north isles will be better served in the longer term by one team doing reasonably well instead of two teams that will be cuffed?

I'm sorry to say that I can see Yell folding after the first month - it's actually pointless them even starting the season, loans or no loans.