32 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a veggie?

• I eat nothing that once had a face
    • Only fish aren't safe from me
    • Fish and chicken, since these aren't really animals
    • People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Had to wonder at this from the BBC News:

High IQ link to being vegetarian

Intelligent children are more likely to become vegetarians later in life, a study says.

Men who were vegetarian had an IQ score of 106, compared with 101 for non-vegetarians; while female vegetarians averaged 104, compared with 99 for non-vegetarians.

So far, so good. However... a bit later in the article:

There was no difference in IQ score between strict vegetarians and those who said they were vegetarian but who reported eating fish or chicken.

Uhm... lol? Not particluarly intelligent to confuse vegetables and chickens if you ask me. Doesn't this nullify the entire study?

(Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6180753.stm )

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's probably true, although obviously being a vegetarian doesn't make you clever by default.

All vegetarians have evidentially weighed up the ethical pros and cons of their dietary choice - they've had an internal dialogue and come to some sort of moral decision, which, regardless of the outcome, puts them already ahead of a significant proportion of the British population!

Like Samuel L Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction I'm a secret carnivore as "My girlfriends a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian too..." :oops:

Have an IQ of 147 (yes, I am a member) & I'm a dedicated cannibal. Does this throw the theory out of the window?

Now, must have another bacon sarnie....

What is this meant to prove? If anything I would guess that people who are at the higher end of the IQ scale are slightly more likely to be influenced by the issues that vegetarians consider when deciding what to eat.

Would be interesting if MENSA did a veggie/meat eater survey among their members although there would still be the sub issue as to veggies being more or indeed less inclined to respond to "are you a veggie" survey.

True Ally, I feel that the BBC has gone and got the cart of wheat before the ox, I would think that people with a higher IQ would be more likely to take moral stands or a harder line on lifechanging decisions, like shaving all your hair off!

Surely it's not the time of year for that sort of thing?

Surely it's not the time of year for that sort of thing?

Not my finest hour and, yes, the insulating properties of my previous mop are already sorely missed by my frozen napper!

Anyway, back to the veggies - is there any truth to the rumour that Quarn is made by "harvesting" the elderly through mandatory euthanasia programmes in certain European countries? :lol:

I don't understand vegaterianism too well. It kind of defys human nature.

I'm all for stopping the fur industry and ending cruelty to animals though.

Can't say I believe in it either, although I guess your average veggie might argue that cruelty to animals and eating them are kinda interchangeable?

Ally wrote

Can't say I believe in it either, although I guess your average veggie might argue that cruelty to animals and eating them are kinda interchangeable?

For me farming methods are the problem. Not all methods.....Shetland Lamb is fine and most UK beef seems to be produced reasonably humanely. Other end of the spectrum are chickens and turkeys mostly produced in conditions that are cruel. In fact not only do I have objections to the way chickens are raised but I have concerns that the growth promoters used to get a chicken ready for the supermarket in half the time a natural bird would take to grow but I am worried that eating them might not be too good for us.