• I eat nothing that once had a face
    • Only fish aren't safe from me
    • Fish and chicken, since these aren't really animals
    • People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have concerns that the growth promoters used to get a chicken ready for the supermarket in half the time a natural bird would take to grow but I am worried that eating them might not be too good for us.

I think your concerns have already been proven. I forget the exact details but their was something on telly about it not long ago. They measured the amount of calories in 2 chicken portions: 1 free range and the other the more common "battery" specimen. The difference in the amount of calories in the portion that came from fat were huge (very roughly guessing I think it was about 10% for the free range and 70% for the battery). Two potential conclusions can be drawn from this: that battery chickens have more fat, and secondly that what isn't fat in a battery chicken contains less calories.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/videovault?beid=50 Check this out for a reason not to eat meat.

Not sure what conclusions I am meant to draw from a video of a bloke kicking a pig. And that wasn't the only bit that was blatant propaganda e.g. seeing a baby pig shaking uncontrollably would be harrowing whether it was in the wild or on a farm, it has nothing to do with whether or not I should eat meat.

Things like the cow being skinned was pretty brutal, but then I would expect it be. I suppose all meat-eaters should be able to watch it though.

RE: whether or not it is natural for humans to eat meat. I have head fairly convincing arguements for both sides of the debate. Apparently our sharp teeth suggest we should eat meat, but our short intestine suggest we shouldn't. Maybe we're evolving into meat eaters.

junior wrote

Not sure what conclusions I am meant to draw from a video of a bloke kicking a pig. And that wasn't the only bit that was blatant propaganda e.g. seeing a baby pig shaking uncontrollably would be harrowing whether it was in the wild or on a farm, it has nothing to do with whether or not I should eat meat.

Of course it is blatant propaganda. The meat industry spends millions each year on tv commercials making meat look so lovely that we have to rush out and buy some. Animal Aid cannot afford to spend millions so they have to rely on shock tactics.

It is true that humans come designed to eat meat but we also have the ability to live well without it. I think my position having been veggie for most of this year is to admit that I miss meat and that maybe I will be comfortable with organic meat while still being horrified by the cruelty involved in modern meat farming.

If a child's parents are both vegetarian, should they buy meat for their child to eat before the child is old enough to decide whether to be vegetarian or not ?

You could just as easily ask: If a child's parents are both Christian, should they baptise her before the she is old enough to decide whether to be Christian or not?

Everybody will have a different take on this pair of questions and the answers that they believe are appropriate. I don't think there is a clear answer.

Personally, for health reasons, I wouldn't advise any special diets for children. Having said this, I'm not sure that those cheap, crappy sausages and burgers are good food anyway, regardless. It all depends on what the meat you're talking about is.

Certainly I would rather see children on a varied vegetarian diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, than scoffing chips and Turkey Twizzlers.

I guess it depends on why you are vegetarian. Folks tend to assume that people are vegetarian only out of some kind of moral stance and are actually secretly desperate to eat meat. In my case, it's simply that I don't like meat; it's bogging stuff and it baffles me that people are so determined to eat it despite the low-quality and constant health scares. I certainly respect anyone's right to eat meat if they choose and this includes my children.

Where my children are concerned, the health issues come first and I only stop them from eating processed meats and other junk; fish and locally produced meat are fine.

Just as you don't recommend Twerto's crappy sausages, chips and turkey twizzlers as being good food, a daily diet of only rice and vegetables may be "vegetarian" but it's far from a healthy and balanced diet.

There are only about 7% of the population who are vegetarian, yet, in my experience many moan about the lack of vegetarian choices on menus.

There are only about 7% of the population who are vegetarian, yet, in my experience many moan about the lack of vegetarian choices on menus.

Whereas if you went into a restaurant, and there was nothing you fancied eating on the menu, you'd just grin and bear it ?

See what I mean !! :wink:

I would choose a restaurant that serves food I like. e.g. don't go to The Aberdeen Steak House if you're a vegetarian and want a huge choice of vegetarian meals.

I don't want to give the impression that I think my diet is some how healthy. I eat way to much junk.

Those sausages are just something I wouldn't be happy feeding my children. If someone else wants to eat it then it is their choice and their choice only.

I am not here to argue for or against vegetarianism. It is for everyone to make their own mind up If this were a thread on geography; I would not try to argue that you should enjoy Belgium. ;)

Whereas if you went into a restaurant, and there was nothing you fancied eating on the menu, you'd just grin and bear it ?

I would choose a restaurant that serves food I like. e.g. don't go to The Aberdeen Steak House if you're a vegetarian and want a huge choice of vegetarian meals.

How many vegetarians actually go to the Aberdeen Steak House, and complain about the menu ?

Fjool wrote

I am not here to argue for or against vegetarianism. It is for everyone to make their own mind up If this were a thread on geography; I would not try to argue that you should enjoy Belgium. Wink

Having had some good times in Belgium then, unless it has changed recently, I suspect it would be hard to argue that it was the best place for vegetarians to take a short break.

Forcing bairns to be veggie or to eat meat is one of those awkward questions with no "right" answer. My own view is that parents have the power to force a "no meat" regime at home but they should try to reason with their kids to get them to respect the veggie life even if they do not adopt that life outside the home.

Other side to that is that parents should respect a child's right not to eat meat within the home once they have made a reasoned decision not to.

How many vegetarians actually go to the Aberdeen Steak House, and complain about the menu ?

16 every month, except in February when it's only 15.

Were you just trying to find out how many others on the forum have an IQ as high as yours then ? :wink:

Actually no. :lol:

I find the whole IQ thing a bit ridiculous to be honest.

Anyone knows that the IQ test is culturally biased and disregards many important aspects of intelligence; never mind that you can train yourself to do them.

That's even before you start looking into whether vegetarians have a marginally higher IQ than omnivores and justifying it, by including people who weren't even sure if they were vegetarian or not in the intelligent group! o_O

... then your question about parents\children beliefs caught my imagination ;)