Poor old Charlie Kennedy

I take my hat off to Charles Kennedy for admitting that he's getting treatment for his alcoholism. A very brave thing to do for a man in his position. It's a pity that more policticians aren't as honest as him, although admittedly he has lied about his problem in the past.

It was an open secret at Lib Dem HQ apparently, which is no surprise when you see some of the archive footage of him obviously, in retrospect, blootered. I would think it was funny if I didn't feel so sorry for him!

As a life-long Liberal voter, I hope he remains as leader of the party. Unfortunately, the long knives seem to be out and his position seems to be becoming untenable. However, I do feel that it sets a poor standard if he is hounded out due to alcoholism, which is after all an illness.

Remember, Winston Churchill also enjoyed a tipple!

... which is after all an illness. ...

Unlike most illnesses, one that is caused by your own actions. Certainly provide help and treatment for people with alcohol problems, but the individuals affected have to accept personal responsibility. If Charles Kennedy had done so earlier the other Lib-dem MPs would be more willing to support him.

I'm (generally) not a liberal supporter -this will do their party considerable long term damage.

Unlike most illnesses, one that is caused by your own actions.

I agree with you jz. He does have to take responsibility for himself, especially in such a responsible position. He has lied repeatedly until the other day, when he was forced to come clean.

He is now a liability to his party and he really should step down. If he had resigned, he might not have had to drag himself, his party and his family into the current media feeding frenzy.

I see your point about Charles Kennedy accepting responsibility for his actions, but isn't that what he did? Must take a lot of courage to admit what he did in front of the worlds media. It was interesting to see how much public support he did receive. Just a normal guy with faults and weaknesses like everybody else.

Oh well, he's resigned now. I wonder who'll step into the leadership arena. Deputy leader Sir Menzies Campbell seems likely. Maybe Simon Hughes and Mark Oaten too?

i hope ming doesn't win, that would leave us with 3 right of centre parties. their slightly leftish leanings were the only thing that set the lib dems apart from the other 2.

ming's first question to blair as interim leader fell a bit flat too, he was saying about schools that don't have permanent head teachers...

as for alcoholism, let's not forget the figurehead for the most powerful nation on the planet is a recovering alcoholic.

remember that pretzel incident? i'm sure there was more to that story...

Its no goin very well fur the Lib Dems! Mark Oaten, who was in the running for the leadership, has admitted to a long running affair with a rent boy, which he described as an 'error of judgement'

Another Lib Dem politician has admitted to being an alcoholic. Lord MacNally (now Lib Dem leader in the House of Lords) admitted to being blootered through most of the 60s and 70s, when he was a labour MP

He came out with this gem on radio 4 "I don't think the passing of a more boozy, ill-disciplined, ill-researched type of politics is to be regretted at all. I think decisions being made by sober ministers and checked by sober parliamentarians is at least a hope of better governance."

Read about it here

Guest Anonymous

you have to wonder how many of them are just sitting around sloshed, grunting and waving bits of paper at each other.

still a damn sight more than you do to justify your existence