I don't like this false kind off political correctness ...

islandhopper

All my cards went out with Seasons Greetings on them this year.

No-one has an excuse to be offended that way. I think that is what it boils down to in the end, finding an excuse to be offended.

It is a natural human action to exclude people. If you doubt that just look at how we exclude people because of the type of house they live in, the fact that they are not a member of the lodge, the golf club, the church, the Up Helly Aa squad, our land of birth, our sexuality, our colour, race, creed, whether we drink, the type of car we drive, who we associate with etc. etc. etc.

Gradually things are changing and only the individual can decide if it is for the better. Look at gay marriage for instance. Within the realms of the church in the UK only the dogmatic elements of the church are against it. For those wishing to be in same sex relationships things have moved a huge distance.

As we see discrimination against others being whittled away we start to get more sensitive about how we see our feelings being "trampled" when someone sends us a card that does not fit in with our religious view. "They are showing the gays respect so why can't I have some too", I can almost hear them say.

I fear that it is getting out of hand. A colleague recently asked me if I was christened with the name that I use or the longer version. I pointed out to him that I wasn't christened. I felt very sad when he felt that he needed to apologise for suggesting that I had been christened.

We live in an age where if anyone claims offense at anything then the rule book is changed to 'protect' said offended person, regardless whether or not their claim of being offended is really valid or not. We all know that at the moment it's bordering on the ridiculous.

The problem is the otherwise pretty excellent theory of democracy. The natural human instinct is to protect the vulnerable. So when a victim claims they are vulnerable the democratic way is to try and protect them.

But unfortunately it's this same democratic wisdom that leads the majority in society in wanting to hang every criminal.

By this I mean democracy does not always come to the best solution - merely a compromise.

What we really need is a genuinely intelligent set of governors that can make informed decisions on behalf of society.

There now exist people who are aware enough of how society works and know that if they push the right button then they can get a desired effect. Society needs to be more streetwise and less in thrawl to these people who so readily claim to be victims for their own peculiar gain.

Unemployment is a very good example.

As an unemployed person I am unable to receive training until I have been out of work for 6 months. Some of us don't want to be out of work, let alone out of work for 6 months. As a disabled person I am entitled to receive training straight away. What category do you imagine that I advise the employment advisor I fit into?

Quotas of the number of ethnic minorities that are employed by certain organisations have to be monitored. This has been the case for years. It is now becoming true of sexual orientation. Being a minority, gay men are likely to be discriminated against when it comes to job applications. So that organisations are not seen to be discriminating it will obviously be the case that they are seen as "gay friendly" and ensure that they employ whatever the quota is that reflects society. It therefore does not take a genius to work out how I fill in the sexual orientation part of any job application.

I think that it is appalling that I have to do this, but discrimination is still discrimination whether or not it is preceeded by the word positive. I intend to get a fair deal and will circumvent the measures that are put in place to discriminate against me.

This has wandered off the subject of Xmas cards, for which I apologise.

This year you’ve travelled over five hundred thousand million miles

around the Sun, and in excess of two and a half thousand million more

around the axis of the Earth ....

To claim your FREE SPACE MILES

1) Fill in the form overleaf

2) Forward prior to Hogmanay

to any god you subscribe to ...

merry happy ....

e-i

[/img]

Found on the web: -

Seasons Greetings

“Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2007, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make The world great. Not to imply that our world is necessarily greater than any other world nor the only world in the Milky Way or indeed any other galaxy.

Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the ‘wishee’.

By accepting these greetings, you are accepting the aforementioned terms as stated. This greeting is not subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself/himself/others, and is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.

This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.â€

Ah, that's better